Victoria Late Arrival - Suggestions for Butchart Gardens Tour

Friend sailing HAL and in port 6 pm to midnight. She would like to do a Butchart Gardens tour. Any suggestions for a tour operator?

Keep in mind the gardens are not close to the port (40 minute drive each way) and even tho they close at 10:00pm in the summer it’s a lot of travel for a very short visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Keep in mind the gardens are not close to the port (40 minute drive each way) and even tho they close at 10:00pm in the summer it’s a lot of travel for a very short visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

May want to consider a walk into and around the inner harbour. Much closer. As it gets dark everything is illuminated.

We had a similar port arrival time. We got some food at fisherman’s wharf and walked around downtown area. I heard it gets dark at the gardens and even though it is lighted you don’t see that much. I went back to Victoria on another trip and went to the gardens during the day and it was so beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may want to post this on the other Canada forum. This one deals mainly with the east coast ports, plus New England. There is a West Coast Canada forum where you might get a better answer.

Thanks! Didn't notice that. Will look for it.

Guest I am the Onion
You may want to post this on the other Canada forum. This one deals mainly with the east coast ports, plus New England. There is a West Coast Canada forum where you might get a better answer.

LOL, I thought BC was on the west coast. But then again my geography sucks. So, I would add that it is somewhat more than 40 minutes from any Canadian port we will hit. :D

LOL, I thought BC was on the west coast. :D

No, this thread was moved from there by a moderator.

~

OP, if she wants to go to the Gardens with that time frame, I suggest a ship's tour. She'll pay through the nose but she'll get back in time. There are other ways to the Gardens but with that limited time, they are all too rushed. As well, they arrive at 6 pm but may not clear the ship until closer to 7 - that's what happened with us. We used to live in Victoria so we had a plan, but with less than 5 hours in town (closer to 4 hours because they have to be back by 11:30, pm right?) I wouldn't even attempt it.

Victoria is a beautiful, walkable city but as stated, the Gardens are out of town and travel time alone will be at least 90 minutes return.

No, this thread was moved from there by a moderator.

~

OP, if she wants to go to the Gardens with that time frame, I suggest a ship's tour. She'll pay through the nose but she'll get back in time. There are other ways to the Gardens but with that limited time, they are all too rushed. As well, they arrive at 6 pm but may not clear the ship until closer to 7 - that's what happened with us. We used to live in Victoria so we had a plan, but with less than 5 hours in town (closer to 4 hours because they have to be back by 11:30, pm right?) I wouldn't even attempt it.

Victoria is a beautiful, walkable city but as stated, the Gardens are out of town and travel time alone will be at least 90 minutes return.

I found the ship's tour is cheaper and I don't have to get to the Empress Hotel for pickup - uphill walk or $11 shuttle. Fees at garden are $33 per person. Much more convenient and you don't have to worry about getting back in time.

I found the ship's tour is cheaper and I don't have to get to the Empress Hotel for pickup - uphill walk or $11 shuttle. Fees at garden are $33 per person. Much more convenient and you don't have to worry about getting back in time.

From the context I assume you're comparing ship tour to CVS shuttle? If so, note that garden admission is included with the CVS tour too for CAD$75pp... I do agree there's a convenience benefit to the ship tour, but comparing like with like there's certainly no saving.

Unfortunately for the OP, the last CVS departure is too early to be safely booked - 7pm allows just enough time to get to the Empress if the ship is on-time and cleared quickly but too many uncontrollable variables for it to be a sensible booking IMO.

You must also be from the flattest part of Saskatchewan if you think Ogden point to the Empress involves a hill;-) Both are approx 6m above sea level, and unless you go well out of your way to hit Beacon Hill Park it's damn near impossible to find an elevation above 14m in any part of the James Bay neighbourhood that sits between the two!

...uphill walk or $11 shuttle...

Agreed, oh my goodness. In no way is there any kind of a hill involved in walking from Ogden Point (the pier in Victoria) to The Empress Hotel. None. Nada. It is a beautiful walk for anyone without mobility problems or a time crunch.

I'd be very curious as to where you heard or read this? :) Also, a cab to the Empress would be about 10 bucks; split between 4 people it is very reasonable. The $11 shuttle is highly overpriced and makes me cringe (for those who may not need it or don't know it is a close distance). :o:o:o