What to do!?

amarie420

I will be going to Grand Turk for the first time in May on the carnival magic. We're having a hard time deciding what we want to do when we get there. My first thought was just hangout locally and go to the beach in the margaritaville vicinity and maybe grabbing some lunch. I'd love to know if anyone has any other ideas or places they recommend! I'm a beach lover so any good beach recommendations are always good!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I always cringe when I see people wanting to go to Margaritaville in Grand Turk. I know, it's just my opinion but... You can go to Margaritaville in basically ANY beach city in the United States and other cities that aren't beach cities for that matter. You're going to a foreign place on vacation, why go to a chain joint that's right next to the ship and not see/do anything? It just seems like a waste of money to cruise if that's what you want to do in ports. (I am not saying YOU, I am just saying in general so please don't take that the wrong way.)

Rent a golf cart from Karib, Nathan's or Wet Money ($90) and cruise the island. Ride around and see their way of life, the things they do, how they live, their lifestyle, etc. Ride up to the light house, see the salt salinas, check out Her Majesty's Prison, go down and enjoy some time at Governor's Beach, grab a bite to eat at Jack's Shack. It's the best way (again, in MY opinion, not everyones) to spend your day in a foreign place on vacation. Either way, enjoy your time at GT!

• 3 months later...
I always cringe when I see people wanting to go to Margaritaville in Grand Turk. I know, it's just my opinion but... You can go to Margaritaville in basically ANY beach city in the United States and other cities that aren't beach cities for that matter. You're going to a foreign place on vacation, why go to a chain joint that's right next to the ship and not see/do anything? It just seems like a waste of money to cruise if that's what you want to do in ports. (I am not saying YOU, I am just saying in general so please don't take that the wrong way.)

Rent a golf cart from Karib, Nathan's or Wet Money ($90) and cruise the island. Ride around and see their way of life, the things they do, how they live, their lifestyle, etc. Ride up to the light house, see the salt salinas, check out Her Majesty's Prison, go down and enjoy some time at Governor's Beach, grab a bite to eat at Jack's Shack. It's the best way (again, in MY opinion, not everyones) to spend your day in a foreign place on vacation. Either way, enjoy your time at GT!

I TOTALLY AGREE. It is the same thing that irks me when i go to other countries not on a cruise and here tourists ask for a McDonald...WHAT? why pay 10 bucks in costa rica for mvdonalds when you can have traditional local food for 5 and immerse yourself into the culture?

• 1 month later...

The idea of the golf cart sounds perfect for me and my family. It sounds like you know this island well. In addition to what you already listed do you have any tips for must-do/must-see stops? Anything we should bring with us from the ship to make the day easier. This is our first time going and it's me, my 25 year old niece and 16 year old daughter. We are on a budget, but we want to see the life of the locals, try their food, learn the history, and also enjoy the ocean and beaches. We will have about 6 hours in port.

The idea of the golf cart sounds perfect for me and my family. It sounds like you know this island well. In addition to what you already listed do you have any tips for must-do/must-see stops? Anything we should bring with us from the ship to make the day easier. This is our first time going and it's me, my 25 year old niece and 16 year old daughter. We are on a budget, but we want to see the life of the locals, try their food, learn the history, and also enjoy the ocean and beaches. We will have about 6 hours in port.

We typically just ride around but there is a museum, Governor's Beach, the prison, the light house, enough to keep you occupied. 6 hours is a long time for GT, it's a very small island. You can go to Jack's Shack or Johns to eat. Learn the history at the museum and enjoy the beaches at Governor's Beach and/or Jack's Shack. You'll have fun. It's one of my favorite ports.

• 5 weeks later...

I cringe every time someones says don't go to Margaritaville !! well thats rude!! some like it and for those that don't go someplace else like you always do. I like going just to relax and people watch and then I move on. so don't tell someone not to go you are not their mother!!! Oh by the way I don't go to McDonalds at all!! YUCK!

Oh well, we are going to Margaritaville in Grand Turk regardless. Been there several times and we hope it is open for the CCL Sunshine Nov. 18th cruise.

Will do something special in Aruba and Curaco instead.

I'm on vacation for pure R&R, not sight seeing.

Just saying and no offense as your post makes sense to those that haven't travel as much as us.

29 th crusie coming up!

Also traveled the world for business, so I've seen the good the bad and the ugly.

I hope you all enjoy your cruise and whatever you chose to do.

Edited by DGNewton

Oh well, we are going to Margaritaville in Grand Turk regardless. Been there several times and we hope it is open for the CCL Sunshine Nov. 18th cruise.

Will do something special in Aruba and Curaco instead.

I'm on vacation for pure R&R, not sight seeing.

Just saying and no offense as your post makes sense to those that haven't travel as much as us.

29 th crusie coming up!

Also traveled the world for business, so I've seen the good the bad and the ugly.

I hope you all enjoy your cruise and whatever you chose to do.

This is odd to me as an avid adventure traveler It has been my experience that those that go to margeritaville and the like are INEXPERIENCED travelers. What is the point? If all you want is that then why spend the time and money to do what you can do at home? Travel is for the soul and for the mind and to see gods great creation. Usually those scared to get to places like little corn island or scared to walk down the alleys to find the best food go to hard rock cafe. It is just a fact of life so I do not believe one second someone who has traveled the world would want to waste a good adventure like this. Sorry.

This is odd to me as an avid adventure traveler It has been my experience that those that go to margeritaville and the like are INEXPERIENCED travelers. What is the point? If all you want is that then why spend the time and money to do what you can do at home? Travel is for the soul and for the mind and to see gods great creation. Usually those scared to get to places like little corn island or scared to walk down the alleys to find the best food go to hard rock cafe. It is just a fact of life so I do not believe one second someone who has traveled the world would want to waste a good adventure like this. Sorry.

Sorry, your clueless in regard to other people whom what to just R&R.

I live in Tampa and have all the Florida beaches too.

So you do what you want and the DW of 40 years and I will do what we want.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry, your clueless in regard to other people whom what to just R&R.

I live in Tampa and have all the Florida beaches too.

So you do what you want and the DW of 40 years and I will do what we want.

You right I am totally clueless why some people are pointless and have no clue how to travel. ALSO I do cruise but that is not the only way I travel. I think many people who ONLY travel or ONLY go to "Disney" world are also wasting time when they could do so much more. Dont get me wrong I love cruising but I also love backpacking across Nicaragua. IT IS CALLED ADVENTURE Lazy people and brainwashed corporate zomibies need not apply. Give me 100 bucks to go to margeritaville and you will still have 100 bucks :) I WILL PAY YOU to take me from the port to a jungle where no other cruisers go tho. I

You right I am totally clueless why some people are pointless and have no clue how to travel. ALSO I do cruise but that is not the only way I travel. I think many people who ONLY travel or ONLY go to "Disney" world are also wasting time when they could do so much more. Dont get me wrong I love cruising but I also love backpacking across Nicaragua. IT IS CALLED ADVENTURE Lazy people and brainwashed corporate zomibies need not apply. Give me 100 bucks to go to margeritaville and you will still have 100 bucks :) I WILL PAY YOU to take me from the port to a jungle where no other cruisers go tho. I

Sorry your narrow minded and only think your way is right.

Had a great rest of the weekend.

Yes Costa Rica is great to do the same back packing.

At 61, not for me.

Enjoy whatever you do as we will.

We typically just ride around but there is a museum, Governor's Beach, the prison, the light house, enough to keep you occupied. 6 hours is a long time for GT, it's a very small island. You can go to Jack's Shack or Johns to eat. Learn the history at the museum and enjoy the beaches at Governor's Beach and/or Jack's Shack. You'll have fun. It's one of my favorite ports.

The lighthouse area is interesting and there are salt flats where you may see flamingos. We missed the flamingos but hope to go back soon. We loved exploring on the golf cart. Grab a map of GT online beforehand.

Absolutely love margarittaville! Been there twice & going for a 3rd time next year on a cruise. My husband & I just sit & relax, maybe have a few drinks. It's just a fun place. You can also get off the ship & head straight to the beach right off the pier. We see no need to drive around sightseeing. We've done our fair share of that so no more interest.

No need to be rude to people on this forum who have a different opinion than you. We all love our vacations any way we choose.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forums mobile app

You right I am totally clueless why some people are pointless and have no clue how to travel.

Insult other CruiseCritic members much?

ALSO I do cruise but that is not the only way I travel. I think many people who ONLY travel or ONLY go to "Disney" world are also wasting time when they could do so much more.

That's nice. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Dont get me wrong I love cruising but I also love backpacking across Nicaragua. IT IS CALLED ADVENTURE

This could come as a shock to you, but not every traveler is looking for ADVENTURE. Some travel for relaxation, some travel for enrichment, and yes, some travel for thrills and adventure.

Lazy people and brainwashed corporate zomibies need not apply.

Insult other CruiseCritic members much...in this new paragraph?

Give me 100 bucks to go to margeritaville and you will still have 100 bucks :) I WILL PAY YOU to take me from the port to a jungle where no other cruisers go tho. I

Have fun with that, buddy.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying the FUN of Margaritaville! :D

:tropical-drink: :beer-toast:

Moreover, the M'Ville at Grand Turk is pretty much the chain's crown jewel. It easily eclipses the locations at Ocho Rios, Foulmouth ( :D ) and Grand Cayman in size and amenities. Nice long beach, biggest pool I've seen in the Caribbean outside of a pricey resort, and enough free poolside and beachside loungers to accommodate a medium-sized cruise ship.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I like the golf cart idea but will have a 1yr old with me...any suggestions for someone with kids? I will also have a 6yr old

With kids, you're probably best off staying by the pool. There's a zero-entry section in it so it's good for kids, and plenty of loungers...or you could get a lounger between the pool and the beach and enjoy both.

For a really nice day you could rent a cabana by the pool, as an excursion through the cruise line. They are air-conditioned, lockable, with private loungers and covered area and call-button access for food and beverage service.

This thread made me LMAO!!! For someone to come on this site and criticize others for their idea of having fun is hilarious. I feel sorry for such closed minded people, but hilarious none the same. I have traveled to all parts of the world, with the exception of 1 continent, and did many "Adventure" things. But you know what, our group of twelve, when we arrive at Grand Turk will enjoy the beach, have a few drinks at Jack's Shack (and some jerk chicken) and then be sure to hit Happy Hour at Margaritaville...WHY??? Because it's fun swimming up to the bar for drinks and exiting the pool under a guy on stilts pouring rum down your throat. And no, we are not young and crazy (well, maybe crazy)...we are all in our 50's and 60's and just enjoy life.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This thread made me LMAO!!! For someone to come on this site and criticize others for their idea of having fun is hilarious. I feel sorry for such closed minded people, but hilarious none the same. I have traveled to all parts of the world, with the exception of 1 continent, and did many "Adventure" things. But you know what, our group of twelve, when we arrive at Grand Turk will enjoy the beach, have a few drinks at Jack's Shack (and some jerk chicken) and then be sure to hit Happy Hour at Margaritaville...WHY??? Because it's fun swimming up to the bar for drinks and exiting the pool under a guy on stilts pouring rum down your throat. And no, we are not young and crazy (well, maybe crazy)...we are all in our 50's and 60's and just enjoy life.

LOVE IT!!!!!

Now that sounds like my kind of FUN! My DH and I will be celebrating my birthday and our anniversary in February and I was clueless as to what to do.... Not anymore! Thanks for the information! :cool:

We are on an 8 day cruise. We will be doing lots of adventure stuff in other ports. In Grand turk we enjoy a relaxing day. The fun of Margaritaville, the beach, etc.

To the poster that said why go to Margarittaville when you can do that at home? I live in Ontario Canada. We don't have that type of thing anywhere near here and we enjoy it on vacation.