Preparing a preschooler

Rain78

Hi everyone! First time poster here. My family is going on a Royal Caribbean cruise on Allure on 1/7/17. There will be 6 of us total and everyone has cruised before except my 3 yo. I'm looking for a recommendation of books or videos geared toward preschoolers to give her a sense of what to expect with the flight and cruise. Does anyone have any ideas? I know the more I can prepare her beforehand, the better our experience will be.

Thanks!

Hi everyone! First time poster here. My family is going on a Royal Caribbean cruise on Allure on 1/7/17. There will be 6 of us total and everyone has cruised before except my 3 yo. I'm looking for a recommendation of books or videos geared toward preschoolers to give her a sense of what to expect with the flight and cruise. Does anyone have any ideas? I know the more I can prepare her beforehand, the better our experience will be.

Thanks!

We used plenty of you tube videos to let th know what to expect on the cruise as well as the different things we were doing at Port stops. There are so many good videos out there that are about the Allure too. My sisters kids are coming with us on their first cruise next year and I sent th out past photos ad videos plus links to YouTube ones.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

I don't think they need to be "prepared"...they are young enough to "go with the flow"! No worries! Give them something to drink (or chew gum) during the flight...helps with ear pain.

The ship..no worries...smaller kids don't seem to be affected by the "motion of the ocean" like adults can be.....I'd wait and see how things go.

Make the whole thing an adventure: Include them in the planning (show them pictures of what they will see), get them to help with the packing(you can always do it again when they are asleep) (when ours were a bit older they pretty much did their own packing and carried it too), avoid negative comments like how boring flying is and, above all, allow plenty of time.

Kids really pick up on parent's moods and worries. If you are stressed out rushing through the airport they will be stressed too. Get there early and let them watch the planes take off and Do Not Give Them Fizzy Drinks.

Really, it's the flight that you need to plan, with things to distract them, and something to suck for the ear pressure thing. The cruise itself will be a breeze. We are taking an 18-month-old granddaughter next year; now that might be an adventure :)

We didn't do any prep when we took our 3 year old on his first cruise, but there wasn't anything that seemed novel enough to worry about. We knew he was fine sleeping somewhere other than his own bed. He had experience with restaurants. With visiting new places. With going outside his routine. With pools and splash pads. With attending preschool (for the kids club). But if any of those had been a first, that would have been something to prepare for.

I agree with everyone who says that flying is the one to plan ahead on.

• 2 weeks later...

We took our 3 1/2 yo twins on the NCL Getaway a couple of years ago. I did a lot of what was mentioned above. A lot of pictures of what the beds look like and exciting stuff like the splash pad and things your kids like. One funny thing...We had shown our kids a lot of pictures of the ship beforehand, but when you board you really can't see the ship. So my daughter never really understood that we were on the ship. Until we got to St. Martin. We went to the beach and you can see our ship docked from across the harbor. She got so excited to see the ship! :) . It was the first time she could actually take it all in. It was really funny. We enjoyed taking our kids (they are going on their 3rd cruise in March)...have fun...don't sweat the details.