What is Hebridean

TWELVEOHONE

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
That's what I was thinking. We've only done Regent, so these prices are not heartstoppers, and the ships get into little places that larger ones cannot.

This looks like the way to do the "distillery tour" of the islands my husband and I have discussed. :)

A few years ago we were lucky enough to sail with Hebridean -- and did a tour which included Islay and we visited every distillery on the island. While I'm not a whiskey drinker, my husband is -- and I was glad to have the name of one of the few (if not only) taxi on the island!

Hebridean was the most delightful line to sail of any we've tried. And yes, absolutely everything is included -- down to the admission to a castle if that was your desire. No such thing as 'premium liquors not included' -- even hubby's favorite single malt was there for a dram nightly.

Makes me long for another trip aboard..... :o

Hi, the Hebridean Spirit review has been launched -- it's here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=536. Fantastic experience.

Loved the hiking part of it -- though there were some grumbles about the fact that the hikes were too easy (for some) and too hard (for others). One difference on Spirit, as opposed to Princess, is that the "footloose" experiences, which are in their first year on the Spirit, basically are organized for a broader group. On Princess, you have easy, middling and challenging levels.

On our trip the first, outside of Ravenna, Italy, was pretty easy (just a hike through a forest, primarily). The second was slightly more challenging, definitely a fantastic day out, through a couple of Croatian villages outside Hvar (one was abandoned, eerie and yet also beautiful). The third, which I didn't do, was while at Dubrovnik and I understand it was the most difficult of the three (that day I borrowed one of the bikes they keep onboard and went for a ride).

Happy to answer more specific questions.

Carolyn

Want to know all about Croatia. Also is this one of the hiking cruises. If so, I would like to know about that. My husband and I are avid hikers, and these look very tempting.

I travelled on Hebridean Princess a few years ago. It's pricey for sure, but its also exceedingly good.

The overwhelming impression is of something unique and more than a little quirky (after all, you're on a converted car ferry with a stone chimney built through its decks). With a maximum of 49 guests, a voyage with them has the feel of a house party - and accordingly, guests can do their own thing or join in the activities as they choose. For example, one couple asked to be dropped with bikes on one side of an island we were passing and picked up when the ship got round the other side.

We hit a Severe Storm Force 10 whilst I was on board - bits getting torn off the superstructure, potted aspidistras sliding back and two, staff crawling around on all fours offering refreshments. Notably the assembled passengers responded to the storm by drinking the ship dry of Bollinger - definitely the right stiff-upper lipped response. That night one elderly lady on board was unwell and not able to make it to dinner. The staff member who took a tray of food to her cabin reported back that she was in bed with her pearl choker on - as, of course, one should always dress for dinner.

Passengers when I was on were all British, varied ages with quite a few around 40 and quite a few over 60. Apparently Sean Connery and Jackie Stewart have been amongst the guests as well as HMQ. Officers and crew were all Scots apart from the Purser (a Sassenach), the deckhands were all Hebridean locals who spoke to each other in Gaelic.

Food was out of this world. Truly, a culinary experience by any standards - definitely superior to a number of Michelin two-starred places I could think of.

Probably not an experience to compare directly with most other cruises - more akin to a small country house hotel, or perhaps one of the lesser known luxury trains. Most people on board seemed not to frequent cruises other than on Hebridean, but quite a high proportion were repeat visitors on board this ship.

• 10 months later...

Well yes, thank you for your advice, but this gives the company's advertising information. What I was looking for was opinions from passengers; ie independent views & experiences, the thing this website is known for.

Maybe I should rephrase my question. Does anyone have any experience of the newly owned Hebridean Princess?

Thanks,

Graham.

Edited by bcscot

Maybe I should rephrase my question. Does anyone have any experience of the newly owned Hebridean Princess?

Seeing as no-one else has been able to provide you with recent experiences-

I have not been onboard but, seeing the ship in various places in the past few weeks, everything looks the same as before.

I know this is not the info you were looking for but I hope it helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your reply gaelsail. I am sure that she would be a fine sight to see around the coast. I would very much like to sail on her, if I could scrape together enough bawbees for the fare! Maybe Caledonian Macbrayne would be a more realistic option though.

Graham.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 years later...

You obviously have extensive cruise experience. I envy your travel history! A friend and I are considering a Hebridean cruise in 2017. It would be a stretch to do it, but as others have said, the all-inclusive aspect does make a difference. Do you, or anyone else, have thoughts on how "worth it" it might be to do this as a once-in-a-lifetime dream cruise?