Help with pre and post cruise plans - Windstar Tahiti-Tuamoto July 2018

KathiB

We are doing a 11 night Wind Star cruise of Tahiti and the Tuamoto Islands next July 1 - 11, 2018. We are just in the beginning planning stages of the trip. We may not make it back to FP again so we want to maximize the experience. We are thinking 3-4 nights pre-cruise and 2-4 nights boat cruise. Here what I am thinking:

Arrive late from LA June 27 and stay at an inexpensive hotel/B&B near airport.

June 28 fly to Bora Bora for three nights. Planning to stay in a B&B (Bora Bora Fishing Paradise) for an authentic experience. We have no interest in an OWB or fancy resort since we will have 11 days on the Wind Star Wind Spirit ship.

Sunday July 1 fly back to Tahiti and board ship.

Cruise ends Wed. July 11...not sure about this part...

Option 1:

Ferry to Moorea for 2 nights (another B&B lodging), rent a car and explore the island.

July 13 back to Papeete and stay 2 nights somewhere to explore Tahiti and return rental car at airport before late flight to LA.

Option 2:

After cruise on July just stay 2- 3 nights on Tahiti. or 2-3 nights just on Moorea.

So would we be missing out not staying 2 nights on Tahiti with a rental car? Would be be missing out not staying on Moorea?

Any other tips about flights to and from Papeete to Bora Bora, or activities, logistics? Thank you!

Thank you. That sounds great and is what I have been leaning towards, including Fare Suisse. Will we miss out by not staying more nights in Tahiti itself? Thanks.

Thank you. That sounds great and is what I have been leaning towards, including Fare Suisse. Will we miss out by not staying more nights in Tahiti itself? Thanks.

I would spend any time you have on Moorea. The things available on Tahiti you will enjoy once you've boarded the ship. Le Marche, food trucks, walk around the center of PPT.

Only thing I find as a biggie id the interior of Tahiti is beautiful with waterfalls and swimming holes. But as I said, Moorea is worth your extra time.

See attachment

Fare Suisse.pdf

I have been doing more research and here is my rough plan:

Use American Airlines Miles to fly to Tahiti (I talked to both AA and Air Tahiti Nui yesterday and am confident we can get free award seats).

June 27, 2018, arrive midnight, transfer to B&B.

Stay one or two nights at Fare Suisse B&B, explore Papeete and Tahiti, possibly rent a car to explore.

June 28 or 29 ferry to Moorea. Rent a car and drive to Anapa Beach B&B for 3 nights. Explore island maybe do one or two tours.

July 1 return rental car ferry to Papeete. Board Wind Spirit for 11 day cruise to Tuamoto Islands and other islands.

July 11 disembark cruise in Papeete. Fly to Bora Bora

Arrive Bora Bora and transfer to Bora Bora Fishing Paradise B&B for 3 nights. While there do lagoon tour and relax.

July 14 or 15 fly to Papeete. Stay one or two nights at Fare Suisse B&B.

July 15 or 16 fly home.

How does that look? I plan to book all of this myself since I have read that the B&B owners will pick us up at airports and we plan to rent a car on Moorea, and possibly Tahiti. I am fine booking the Air Tahiti round trip flights to Bora Bora and have already been on their website. We do not care to stay in a fancy OWB type hotel or spend $$$ for drinks and dinner. The Wind Star cruise for 11 days will be our splurge. The B&Bs I have looked into are all very reasonable and will give us a much more authentic experience. Any tips or suggestions are welcome.

Edited by KathiB

• 3 weeks later...

Just got off the phone with American Airlines. We were able to get 2 seats from Los Angeles to Papeete on Air Tahiti Nui with our miles! So we have our flights to Tahiti and on Aug. 20 I will start calling for our return flights. I feel very relieved!

We will be arriving in Papeete at about 10:00pm on June 26. Will spend a couple nights at Fare Suisse B&B. I Have book Les Tipaniers Hotel on Moorea for 3 nights pre cruise and have booked 3 nights post cruise at Matira beach Hotel on Bora Bora. May spend another 1-2 nights in Papeete at the end depending on when I can get a return flight to LA with miles. Can't believe I have to wait almost a year for this trip!