Book suggestions

jimdicap

Wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for books to read ABOUT cruising. I love reading books about the cruise experience--not directories, travel guides, etc. Some favorites:

What time is the Midnight Buffet

Cruise Control

Cruise Savvy

The Truth About Cruise Ships

etc etc

Any suggestions?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I enjoyed the Joshua Kinser series of books, Chronicles of a Cruise Ship Crew Member and the Brian Bruns Cruise Ship Confidential series of books.

David Weber's Cruise Chronicles: Working on a Cruise Ship. It was basically a collection of his blog posts of working as a musician, but still interesting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

If you are into thriller/crime books, I can recommend you "Passenger 23" from Sebastian Fitzek. It is about a police officer who lost his family on a cruise and years after that incident, there are some new developments and new hints what might have happend. Most of the plot takes place on a cruise.

If you are into thriller/crime books, I can recommend you "Passenger 23" from Sebastian Fitzek. It is about a police officer who lost his family on a cruise and years after that incident, there are some new developments and new hints what might have happend. Most of the plot takes place on a cruise.

I did like that book a lot, too. I can also only recommend it...

• 3 months later...
Wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for books to read ABOUT cruising. I love reading books about the cruise experience--not directories, travel guides, etc. Some favorites:

What time is the Midnight Buffet

Cruise Control

Cruise Savvy

The Truth About Cruise Ships

etc etc

Any suggestions?

Thanks

"Mr. Monk Gets Onboard". Based on the TV show "MONK", our favorite detective goes on a cruise ship out of San Fransisco to Catalina Island.

For those that haven't seen the show, it's about a cop-turned-detective named Adrian Monk. He was married to a woman named Trudy, who was murdered 10 years ago. Since that murder, his OCD has returned (all 400+ obsessions and compulsions) and Trudy's case is the only one he's unable to solve.

The book series is told through the eyes of his assistant, Natalie. She's now a P.I and a single mom (widowed). With her daughter Julie now in college, Natalie and Monk go into business together. Natalie decides to take the cruise to promote the business and is astonished when Monk (who hates boats and can't swim) decides to tag along. Of course a murder occurs and they're put on the case!

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I read the cruise ship life books by Tobias Biddick while cruising last month. They were a fun read because he starts his career on the Grand Princess and that was the ship we were sailing on!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just returned from a short cruise out of Long Beach. I brought along Mr. Monk Gets on Board, featuring the detective from the TV series. It was a fun, easy read while cruising, and especially fun because in the book Monk goes to the same ports we were going to.

Interesting side note, this series of books is based on the television show, and this is the only book that comes from a script that was never made into an actual episode - because they couldn't get a cruise ship to let them film on board.

• 11 months later...
On 4/28/2018 at 8:36 PM, broadwaybaby123 said:

"Mr. Monk Gets Onboard". Based on the TV show "MONK", our favorite detective goes on a cruise ship out of San Fransisco to Catalina Island.

For those that haven't seen the show, it's about a cop-turned-detective named Adrian Monk. He was married to a woman named Trudy, who was murdered 10 years ago. Since that murder, his OCD has returned (all 400+ obsessions and compulsions) and Trudy's case is the only one he's unable to solve.

The book series is told through the eyes of his assistant, Natalie. She's now a P.I and a single mom (widowed). With her daughter Julie now in college, Natalie and Monk go into business together. Natalie decides to take the cruise to promote the business and is astonished when Monk (who hates boats and can't swim) decides to tag along. Of course a murder occurs and they're put on the case!

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Forums mobile app

This one was good. More suggestions?

Edited by movingimages
Wanted to change post to encourage more discussion.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Whatever you do, DO NOT read or listen to Mayday by Nelson DeMille while on an airplane.

His opening is (paraphrasing) - if you are on an airplane and listening take the ear buds out NOW. If you are reading put the book away.

Loved the book but just saying.

• 3 weeks later...