advice on hotels in San Diego

SPECIAL NOTICE: There is an issue with the main login on the forums on many browsers. Go to our homepage: HOMEPAGE and use the login located at the main top nav.. Then, choose BOARDS on the nav. We apologize for any inconvenience.
West Coast Departures

Honolulu, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, San Francisco, Vancouver
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:41 AM.
Nashville, Tennessee
677 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Seems the Wyndham Bayside is sold out for the time in Nov. when we are there. Looking for something near the airport (as we are flying in) and near the cruise ship port. Want shuttles for both. Seems the Best Western Plus on Ash st. fits the bill. Anyone got any advice about this hotel? Is it walkable to the Seaport Village area to eat? Walkable, as in, are there sidewalks?
The Third Coast - Nashville
7,890 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
Greetings fellow Nashvillian. I'm not family with the BW Plus, but I like the Hampton Inn on Pacific Highway. Shuttle from the airport and to the port (I just walk), and within walking distance of Little Italy and Seaport Village.

Roz
Nashville, Tennessee
677 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
thanks, will check that one out……price unfortunately is a factor too! We looked into SpringHill Suites but not close to anything we wanted to do and no shuttles. (think it was the Mission Valley hotel site.)
Ontario, CA (The one WITH the Palm Trees!)
22,834 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
For your Nov 8 Panama cruise?

San Diego takes Veteran's Day very seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

San Diego
7,369 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Seaport Village is certainly not the best place you need to walk to to have dinner.
All the wonderful restaurants in our Little Italy neighborhood(not just Italian) are much closer to the hotels you are considering and are much better than most in Seaport Village! There are tons of possible hotels from which to choose as the cruise port is right in downtown San Diego.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
UP next:
Splendor March 24,2018-annual Mexican "honeymoon"
Coral Princess Panama Canal December 7,2018

Exactly where I want to be
7,044 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
There is a SpringHill Suites San Diego Bayfront right across the street from the cruise terminal. Don't know why you didn't see that one. It's at 900 Bayfront Ct. Google it...

Granted, it doesn't have a shuttle to/from the airport. A cheap cab or Uber will do the trick.

I'm staying there in a couple of weeks (thanks to my SPG points transferred to my MR account). I've stayed down at the Andaz before, so everything is still familiar and within walking distance to what I want to do and where I want to eat.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Every trip is different, and I am different on every trip."
My opinion is my own and not reflective of any company I may work for who may or may not have a presence on this website.
Avatar photo: taken by me from my hot air balloon on the Masai Mara
San Diego
4,561 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Hampton Inn Downtown is also close to both the pier and airport. Others include Residence Inn by Marriott San Diego Downtown/Bayfront, SpringHill Suites by Marriott San Diego Downtown/Bayfront, & the Embassy Suites San Diego Bay/Downtown.

I would agree with the advice above about eating in Little Italy (a hot bed of foodie restaurants, not all Italian either) vs. Seaport Village, although if you want to go to the Fish Market (right next to Seaport Village) you can easily walk from there as well...it is just south of the USS Midway. Fine sidewalks along the Embarcadero (waterfront).

Most of the hotels downtown or in the Marina area do not have hotel shuttles for either the airport or pier, but you can take Supershuttle for about $10 each, cab, or Uber as well. The pier is just over a mile from the airport.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

1986 HA Constitution: Hawaii 7 day
1988 NCL Skyward: Western Caribbean 7 day
1992 Crystal Harmony: Transcanal 15 day
1994 Golden Princess: Mexican Riviera 7 day
1995 HA Independence: Hawaii 7 day
1997 Celebrity Zenith: Transcanal 15 day
1999 Grand Princess: Mediterranian 14 day
2000 Regal Princess: Alaska Inside Passage 7 day
2000 Crystal Harmony: SF to Sydney 20 day
2001 HAL Ryndam: Cape Horn/SA 17 day
2003 HAL Statendam: Hawaii RT San Diego 15 day
2003 RCI Vision of the Seas: Mexican Riviera 7 day
2004 HAL Ryndam: Sea of Cortez 10 day
2004 Island Princess: Hawaii RT LA 15 day
2005 Island Princess: Hawaii RT LA 15 day
2006 Celebrity Mercury Mexican Riviera RT San Diego 10 day
2009 Sapphire Princess Mexican Riviera RT Los Angeles 7 day
2010 Sapphire Princess Mexican Riviera RT Los Angeles 7 day
2013 HAL Westerdam Alaska Inside Passage RT Seattle 7 day
2015 Hurtigruten Trollfjord RT Bergen 11 day
2017 AmaCerto Tulip Time-RT Amsterdam 7 day
2017 HAL Zuiderdam NYC to Quebec City Fall Color 10 day

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save
San Diego
4,561 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by SadieN
For your Nov 8 Panama cruise?

San Diego takes Veteran's Day very seriously.
Yes, we do, but the big parade (right by the cruise ship pier) is on November 11, Veterans' Day, not on November 8.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

1986 HA Constitution: Hawaii 7 day
1988 NCL Skyward: Western Caribbean 7 day
1992 Crystal Harmony: Transcanal 15 day
1994 Golden Princess: Mexican Riviera 7 day
1995 HA Independence: Hawaii 7 day
1997 Celebrity Zenith: Transcanal 15 day
1999 Grand Princess: Mediterranian 14 day
2000 Regal Princess: Alaska Inside Passage 7 day
2000 Crystal Harmony: SF to Sydney 20 day
2001 HAL Ryndam: Cape Horn/SA 17 day
2003 HAL Statendam: Hawaii RT San Diego 15 day
2003 RCI Vision of the Seas: Mexican Riviera 7 day
2004 HAL Ryndam: Sea of Cortez 10 day
2004 Island Princess: Hawaii RT LA 15 day
2005 Island Princess: Hawaii RT LA 15 day
2006 Celebrity Mercury Mexican Riviera RT San Diego 10 day
2009 Sapphire Princess Mexican Riviera RT Los Angeles 7 day
2010 Sapphire Princess Mexican Riviera RT Los Angeles 7 day
2013 HAL Westerdam Alaska Inside Passage RT Seattle 7 day
2015 Hurtigruten Trollfjord RT Bergen 11 day
2017 AmaCerto Tulip Time-RT Amsterdam 7 day
2017 HAL Zuiderdam NYC to Quebec City Fall Color 10 day

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save
Central Florida
2,162 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
About 10 years ago we stayed at a Holiday Inn very close (like across the street) to the San Diego port. We walked, with our bags, to the ship. Has that hotel been sold/ removed? I remember there was a Ruth Chris Steak house nearby! Appreciate the ideas in earlier posts and any and all ideas additional ideas for hotel and dinner
restaurant.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
San Diego
7,369 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
The Holiday Inn is now a Wyndham so that is the first hotel mentioned on this thread.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
UP next:
Splendor March 24,2018-annual Mexican "honeymoon"
Coral Princess Panama Canal December 7,2018

Stockton CA
3,088 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
We stay down by Sea Port village at least 4-5 times a year. The most convenient to the seaport is the Embassy Suites. Any hotel along Harbor Dr either side of the Embassy for about 1/2 mile is good, just depends on how much you want to spend. We always try for the Hilton Gas Lamp as our first choice and the Andaz is a really cool boutique place with a killer rooftop pool and bar.

If you have time, I highly recommend doing the walking tour of the Gas Lamp "Brothels, Bites, and Booze". It's only about two hours but a really fun time. Tin Fish directly in front of the Hilton has great food. Buster's at Sea Port Village is very good.
Dublin, Ohio
9,364 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
I know I am too late for the original poster, but I thought I would post my thoughts if someone else is looking for info.

I have had 2 great pre-flight stays at the Hilton San Diego Airport/Harbor Island. There are only a few restaurants walking distance and all a bit pricy (but the one in the hotel was quite good).

My son and I have both stayed at the Courtyard downtown on different trips and both had great experiences. It is walking distance from the great restaurants that someone else was talking about. It was not a bad Uber price or ride from the Courtyard to and from the airport.

On one trip we had a car, so we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Old Town. There are some interesting things to do and places to eat within walking distance and the prices were much better than downtown. Again, probably not a bad price by taxi or Uber to get there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ann
Grand Princess, Mexican Riviera - Feb 16, 2018 - Roll Call
Pride of America, Hawaii - Feb 16, 2019 - Roll Call

PAST
Anthem of the Seas - May 20, 2017; Island Princess Feb 3-18, 2017 - Panama Canal Ocean to Ocean OneNote Planning File; NCL Spirit Feb 20, 2016 - Western Caribbean Photo Book Pre-Cruise; NCL Sun Dec 14, 2014 - Western Caribbean ; Norwegian Sun - Feb 13 - 24 - Southern Caribbean Photo book - 1st half Photo book - 2nd half ; Norwegian Dawn - B2B, Boston to Quebec City to Boston - Sept 27 - Oct 11, 2013 Trip Photos ; Norwegian Sky - Surprise Bahamas Trip - Oct 29 - Nov 2, 2012 Photo Book ; Norwegian Star - NYC to Bermuda May 13-20, 2012 ; Norwegian Spirit - Western Caribbean from NOLA - March 20-27, 2011 Pre-Cruise NOLA Photobook ; Norwegian Sky - Bahamas - March 29-April 2, 2010 Photo Book
Explorer of the Seas - Caribbean - March 15 - 27, 2009 ; Sovereign of the Seas - Bahamas-Aug 13-17, 2007 ; Sapphire Princess - Alaska - June 24-July 1, 2006 ; Disney Wonder - Bahamas - March 2004