Some questions for wheelchair accessibilities on NCL Epic

johnrich

We decided to book a “last minute” cruise over Thanksgiving. It will be DW, DMIL and myself. Since the Epic only has 4 handicapped accessible cabins that fit 3 people (or so I was told) and they were already booked, we had to get a non-HC Cabin. We ended up getting an aft-facing balcony for the same price as a regular balcony. I hope it’s not going to be too tight. At least the balcony is supposed to be bigger.

Due to the hurricanes, our ports have also been changed. From what I remember, Falmouth and Nassau are normally docked ports, while Georgetown, Cayman Islands is tendered as well as (I’m assuming) Great Stirrup Cay.

My MIL had a stroke in Dec and has recovered greatly, but at 83 she has some difficulty walking long distances, doing steep steps, etc. Although she didn’t want us to, we ordered a manual wheelchair from Special Needs at Sea in case she needs it.

Several questions:

1. Will crew help me get her into the tender boats? She can do steps as long as they aren’t steep.

2. Any suggestions on what to do in Falmouth. We’d like to stay close to the port. We enjoy history, beaches and the ladies enjoy shopping

3. Does Great Stirrup Cay have sidewalks that we could use the wheelchair to get to the beach. She can walk once we get to the sand.

4. We’ve done Cayman Islands before but I don’t think we’ll do any excursions this time. Is there stuff to do in the port area. I don’t remember.

Thanks in advance. If you have any other suggestions, please let us know.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1. Will crew help me get her into the tender boats? She can do steps as long as they aren’t steep.

• FYI Grand Cayman and Great Stirrup Cay are tendered ports.
  • Crew will assist your MIL but will not lift her.
  • Also know that depending on weather and or sea conditions any passengers using mobility equipment may be prohibited from board the tender even if it has roll-on capabilities. Tendering with a mobility issue is at the discretion of the Captain and not the gangway staff,

2. Any suggestions on what to do in Falmouth. We’d like to stay close to the port. We enjoy history, beaches and the ladies enjoy shopping

• If you haven't booked any excursions than its recommend for safety reasons not to exit the fenced in shopping area.
  • Store entrances with the port area are wheelchair accessible. However the aisles may not accommodate a wheelchair.
  • No accessible taxis
  • An accessible washroom is located in the center of the port area,

3. Does Great Stirrup Cay have sidewalks that we could use the wheelchair to get to the beach. She can walk once we get to the sand.

• For the most part it's accessible.
  • Dining and Bar venues are accessible as well as the shopping venues,
  • Excursions offered are not wheelchair accessible

4. We’ve done Cayman Islands before but I don’t think we’ll do any excursions this time. Is there stuff to do in the port area. I don’t remember.

• There are shops and restaurants after you exit the port area.
  • Curb cut outs are often difficult to locate
  • Some stores and restaurants have steps at the entrance,
  • Ramps are steeper than in the USA
  • Only a couple of accessible taxis and are often pre-booked,
  • If MIL can transfer into a van the driver will take the wheelchair, There is often an extra charge for the wheelchair,

• FYI Grand Cayman and Great Stirrup Cay are tendered ports.
  • Crew will assist your MIL but will not lift her.
  • Also know that depending on weather and or sea conditions any passengers using mobility equipment may be prohibited from board the tender even if it has roll-on capabilities. Tendering with a mobility issue is at the discretion of the Captain and not the gangway staff,

• If you haven't booked any excursions than its recommend for safety reasons not to exit the fenced in shopping area.
  • Store entrances with the port area are wheelchair accessible. However the aisles may not accommodate a wheelchair.
  • No accessible taxis
  • An accessible washroom is located in the center of the port area,

• For the most part it's accessible.
  • Dining and Bar venues are accessible as well as the shopping venues,
  • Excursions offered are not wheelchair accessible

• There are shops and restaurants after you exit the port area.
  • Curb cut outs are often difficult to locate
  • Some stores and restaurants have steps at the entrance,
  • Ramps are steeper than in the USA
  • Only a couple of accessible taxis and are often pre-booked,
  • If MIL can transfer into a van the driver will take the wheelchair, There is often an extra charge for the wheelchair,

Thank you so much for all this valuable information. It is definitely helpful!

Thank you so much for all this valuable information. It is definitely helpful!

In re-reading my previous post forgot to state the regarding Great Stirrup Cay - NCL has a limited number of Beach Wheelchairs on the island that are free of charge and available on a first come first served basis,