Come Aboard: My Jaunt Around Scotland on Hebridean Princess

LauraS

This was posted in 2009. However, it WAS the review that made me want to book Hebridean Princess for the first time back in 2012. We just finished our fourth cruise on Hebridean Princess last month and we had a wonderful time, as usual. It's a very unique ship with a wonderful staff and outstanding food.

My one complaint is that if you're not careful, you can spend a lot of time on coaches, since all of the excursions are included.

This was posted in 2009. However, it WAS the review that made me want to book Hebridean Princess for the first time back in 2012. We just finished our fourth cruise on Hebridean Princess last month and we had a wonderful time, as usual. It's a very unique ship with a wonderful staff and outstanding food.

My one complaint is that if you're not careful, you can spend a lot of time on coaches, since all of the excursions are included.

We’ve not long experienced the unique brand of Hebridean hospitality for the first time and have to agree with knotheadusc - it’s a potentially addictive form of cruising. You’re treated like old friends from the word go. The attentive and friendly staff always seemed to be armed with a bottle of champagne to refill your empty glass. Food was top quality too. The point about excursions is well made; there was a risk of coach over exposure. We loved the Hebridean Hamper that accompanied many trips; a wee dram would be produced at just the right moment. We had no knowledge of malt whiskies before our trip, but Egon in the bar took it upon himself to rectify that oversight. The ship may be old, but it is oozing with personality.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We missed Egon on our cruise last month. He’s great! But Toby and Sergei did such a great job looking after us. And, though I knew nothing about whisky on our first cruise, I have now been to quite a few distilleries and know my way around a dram!

I think I am totally ruined for large cruise ships now. We used to sail on Sea Dream, but even that seems kind of big to me now. :D I think our next trip will be on a barge cruise, only because we want to visit somewhere besides Scotland, as much as we love it.

Anyway, I am glad to see this review posted, even if it is eight years old. It’s still a pretty accurate description of what the cruise is like.

We missed Egon on our cruise last month. He’s great! But Toby and Sergei did such a great job looking after us. And, though I knew nothing about whisky on our first cruise, I have now been to quite a few distilleries and know my way around a dram!

Some years ago we spent a week in a small hotel, in the Highlands, which boasted that it's bar stocked over 100 different whiskeys.

Needless to say memories of the holiday are rather hazy.

However, I do remember that I disliked Laphroaig.

We missed Egon on our cruise last month. He’s great! yBut Toby and Sergei did such a great job looking after us. And, though I knew nothing about whisky on our first cruise, I have now been to quite a few distilleries and know my way around a dram!

I think I am totally ruined for large cruise ships now. We used to sail on Sea Dream, but even that seems kind of big to me now. :D I think our next trip will be on a barge cruise, only because we want to visit somewhere besides Scotland, as much as we love it.

Anyway, I am glad to see this review posted, even if it is eight years old. It’s still a pretty accurate description of what the cruise is like.

Very true. A good example of Sergei’s care was when we asked for sea salt in a grinder. He regretted no such thing was on board. But by the next meal one was sitting proudly on our table; he’d popped ashore and scoured the village for one.

Very true. A good example of Sergei’s care was when we asked for sea salt in a grinder. He regretted no such thing was on board. But by the next meal one was sitting proudly on our table; he’d popped ashore and scoured the village for one.

Wow! That's just great service! Sergei gave me a big hug when we disembarked, even though I had a cold and warned him against it. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff. They are truly good hearted people, too, and seem to enjoy their work. Last month, we talked to a lady who was on our very first Hebridean cruise in 2012 and happened to be on our Irish cruise. She said it was her 26th voyage and she wouldn't consider trying another line. I have to admit, even though the other lines have things Hebridean doesn't have, it's kind of hard to think about trying other lines. I'm sure we will eventually, since we want to go to places Hebridean doesn't go, but it will be hard! Luckily, there are still a lot of places in Scotland we haven't seen yet and I love going there.