Kangaroo Island: UK News Profile, More Details!!

:confused: Apologies - I called them fur seals but they are "Australian Sea Lions". The Fur Seals are further along the coast at Admiralty Arch.

Getting too excited when I remember being there.

Did they take in the Bird show with the shorex?, it was very interesting as well.

No the Raptor show does not form part of the KI in a day trip. We went past the gates to the Raptor Farm and were told about the guy who founded it.

I was told by another passenger they had some of the birds on show at the sports oval in Penneshaw where townspeople put on a bit of a show for passengers who just want to wander around the little town. They also had snakes, owls and various other wild life brought in for the display. They have market stalls and shearing displays etc set up for visitors. They also run a courtesy mini bus picking up and dropping people off at points of interest although it is such a small town it is easy to walk around. I think the first time I went there, before they got themselves organised, there was supposed to be a visit to the Raptor farm but for some reason there were problems with the organisation. First visit for a cruise ship and everything was chaotic but since sorted out.

I think the pelicans in the pictures are also part of another day trip called "North Coast conservation and wildlfe tour" which I would like to do another time. It too is an all day trip and goes along the north side of the island. Can't find my info sheets at the moment.

It is a huge island and the Seals/Remarkable rocks etc trip takes in the whole southern side of the island. We also called in at Vivonne Bay which is rated the number 1 beach in Australia. Can't remember how many kilometres the guide said we would be covering that day.

A guide told me it would normally take 4 days to fully explore KI so they try to include as much as possible into the short time we have onshore.

• 3 months later...

From the London/UK Guardian today, they have this headline: Kangaroo Island? More like ‘Noah’s Ark on an island’ ”.

Here are some of their travel profile highlights: The island, discovered by British explorer Matthew Flinders in his 1802 circumnavigation of Australia, is a half-hour flight from Adelaide, and a haven for more than kangaroos. Flinders Chase national park has been a sanctuary for endangered animals since the early 20th century. At Admirals Arch – a rock formation just below the lighthouse – seal pups play in the freezing water while their mothers rest on the rocks.

Nice graphics and pictures are a part of this article. It all brought back nice memories!! This author used the same firm and top guide, Craig Wickham, that we were fortunate to be connected with during our time on this amazing island. Love Kangaroo Island!!

Full story at:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/apr/16/kangaroo-island-south-australia-wildlife-walking-trail

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Panama Canal? Just completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun pictures!! Those pictures start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

We visited KI a couple of weeks ago on the Eden and didn't do any of the ship or local tours available as you really can't see much on KI in a few hours. We did a road trip to KI a few years ago and IMO you need at least four or five nights there.

The tender took us ashore at the Sealink terminal at Penneshaw we were just content to just wander around the town taking in the sights - rental cars from Hertz and Budget were available for rent for anyone wanting to venture outside the town.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We visited KI a couple of weeks ago on the Eden and didn't do any of the ship or local tours available as you really can't see much on KI in a few hours. We did a road trip to KI a few years ago and IMO you need at least four or five nights there.

The tender took us ashore at the Sealink terminal at Penneshaw we were just content to just wander around the town taking in the sights - rental cars from Hertz and Budget were available for rent for anyone wanting to venture outside the town.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree, it is worthwhile visiting for a longer period but you can still see a lot of the features that KI has to offer in 6 hours. The best thing is it will leave you wanting to return and see more.

I agree, it is worthwhile visiting for a longer period but you can still see a lot of the features that KI has to offer in 6 hours. The best thing is it will leave you wanting to return and see more.

Agree with above that you do not need days and days on KI to see and experience lots. We were there just a day and a half. We did and super enjoyed so much during that time period. Part of the secret is having people taking you around who know what to do, where to go, etc. That local "expertise" is very vital and important. Just renting a car and driving around will yield more limited results. Maybe cheaper, but not as good. The "quality" for what you see, do and understand makes a huge, positive difference based on our great experiences there on Kangaroo Island.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 177,515 views for this posting.

Agree with above that you do not need days and days on KI to see and experience lots. We were there just a day and a half. We did and super enjoyed so much during that time period. Part of the secret is having people taking you around who know what to do, where to go, etc. That local "expertise" is very vital and important. Just renting a car and driving around will yield more limited results. Maybe cheaper, but not as good. The "quality" for what you see, do and understand makes a huge, positive difference based on our great experiences there on Kangaroo Island.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 177,515 views for this posting.

Spot on, local guides know best and can tailor your tour to suit, otherwise the ship's tours will take in the main points of interest.

• 5 months later...
We also called in at Vivonne Bay which is rated the number 1 beach in Australia.

I think the guide might have got carried away there the No.1 beach in Australia is Whitehaven Beach on Whitsunday Island. I think it rates in the world's top 10 beaches.

I think the guide might have got carried away there the No.1 beach in Australia is Whitehaven Beach on Whitsunday Island. I think it rates in the world's top 10 beaches.

It is reported to be the No.1 beach on Kangaroo Island and it is beautiful indeed. However, a local told me about a beach he thought was more beautiful and I had to agree. KI is blessed with beautiful beaches.

It is reported to be the No.1 beach on Kangaroo Island and it is beautiful indeed. However, a local told me about a beach he thought was more beautiful and I had to agree. KI is blessed with beautiful beaches.

YES, Kangaroo Island has some beautiful beaches. Earlier on this thread I posted a few pictures showing a small sampling of these sights that we enjoyed in these locations. Below are a few more of my pictures from there. Love it when their are wild birds and animals on these K.I. beaches.

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Here are a few additional beach-related views that I had not previously posted on this thread from our wonderful experience on Kangaroo Island.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

July%202017A%201616_zps5lrobosx.jpg

July%202017A%201619_zpsd29ywv9m.jpg

July%202017A%201618_zpsc8j5kczf.jpg

July%202017A%201617_zpseotadasj.jpg

Hi Terry. Great photos as always! This little spot is big on our to do list. Did you fly over or take the ferry? Or a tour from Adelaide? Did you see the Penguins march at sunset? Or the gent feeding the Pelicans at Kingscote? Suggestions and ideas (accommodation, restaurants, best sea lion viewing etc etc)would be much appreciated :)

Hi Terry. Great photos as always! This little spot is big on our to do list. Did you fly over or take the ferry? Or a tour from Adelaide? Did you see the Penguins march at sunset? Or the gent feeding the Pelicans at Kingscote? Suggestions and ideas (accommodation, restaurants, best sea lion viewing etc etc)would be much appreciated :)

I flew on Rex on a small plane from Adelaide this year. Last year, we drove from Adelaide and caught the ferry. From December, flights will be available from Melbourne, as well as Sydney in the future. You can do tours from Adelaide or you can drive to the ferry.

I would recommend you stay on both ends, east and west of the island, because of the distance. Don't miss Fraser Chase National Park (photo by Terry of Remarkable Rocks), where you can stay at the former lighthouse cottage accommodation.

Hi Terry. Great photos as always! This little spot is big on our to do list. Did you fly over or take the ferry? Or a tour from Adelaide? Did you see the Penguins march at sunset? Or the gent feeding the Pelicans at Kingscote? Suggestions and ideas (accommodation, restaurants, best sea lion viewing etc etc)would be much appreciated

Appreciate this nice follow-up and the great added info/insights from MMDown Under. Yes, we flew by Rex airline on a smaller plane from Adelaide. No, we did not get to see the Penguins march at sunset. Nor, the gent feeding the Pelicans at Kingscote. But as detailed on my live/blog, we did super enjoy so many other key highlights on this special part of Australia.

Here are more details for connections as to what we did:

Kangaroo Island: For what is called South Australia's Galapagos, we used guide Craig Wickham. Here is a link to an excellent video to prepare and learn more for visiting there:

Craig's website is:

http://exceptionalkangarooisland.com

On Kangaroo Island, we stayed at Stranraer Homestead, a 1290 hectares working property, producing prime lamb, wool and grain. 22 Lades Road, MacGillivray, just east of White Lagoon. Their e-mail: Stranraer@kin.net.au Phone: 61 (0)8 855 38235. Their names/contracts: Graham & Lyn Wheaton

Kangaroo Island air flights: From Adelaide and back, be sure to book in advance!! The best times fill up early. See more at:

www.rex.com.au

Other questions and info needs? Happy to share more!!

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 188,613 views for this posting.

• 2 weeks later...
Appreciate this nice follow-up and the great added info/insights from MMDown Under. Yes, we flew by Rex airline on a smaller plane from Adelaide. No, we did not get to see the Penguins march at sunset. Nor, the gent feeding the Pelicans at Kingscote. But as detailed on my live/blog, we did super enjoy so many other key highlights on this special part of Australia.

Love your work Terry.:D