Travelling with children with Asperger's

nickykat

I had the same question about my son screaming and having a meltdown and others complaining. Last time we cruised we were lucky that the gentleman next door worked with special needs adults and worked out that there was an issue with our son and told us not to worry.

Setting up a routine will be important. Does your daughter have a comfort item for bed? Would a weighted blanket help?

You must have a lot of personal strength to have 3 kids!

I struggle with 1.

Btw we nearly ended up on your cruise.

Hmmm I may try a weighted blanket, thanks for the suggestion. I think it's mainly a food reaction to be honest, as soon as we slack off on the diet a bit (failsafe) the kids all go a bit crazy. Re the 3 kids, sometimes it's easier than 1! The 2 boys play together quite well a lot of the time, and the eldest is improving so much he was able to fly solo to Darwin a month ago and we didn't disclose to the airline about his aspergers, so MOST of the time not very high needs (he has his moments.....) funny that you were nearly on the same flight. Approx where are you in Melb? (I am admin for an ASD group on fb, would be funny if we were in the same area!). I am in Dandenong ranges. Your cruise sounds very cool though, I'm jealous!

Hmmm I may try a weighted blanket, thanks for the suggestion. I think it's mainly a food reaction to be honest, as soon as we slack off on the diet a bit (failsafe) the kids all go a bit crazy. Re the 3 kids, sometimes it's easier than 1! The 2 boys play together quite well a lot of the time, and the eldest is improving so much he was able to fly solo to Darwin a month ago and we didn't disclose to the airline about his aspergers, so MOST of the time not very high needs (he has his moments.....) funny that you were nearly on the same flight. Approx where are you in Melb? (I am admin for an ASD group on fb, would be funny if we were in the same area!). I am in Dandenong ranges. Your cruise sounds very cool though, I'm jealous!

We are in the northern suburbs.

I'm very excited about the cruise but a bit worried about how I will go sailing without hubby and an autistic child. He might totally melt down for 16 nights. We got the our cruise very cheaply. Was looking at carnival but had all ready done the itinerary.

The who,e cruise might be a nightmare or a really good opportunity for me to spend one on one time with my son. His teacher thinks it great and is supporting me in taking him away. We are having the 5 year old "I will push my boundaries tantrums ATM".......[emoji16]

Re Autism on the seas can you contact them after you've already booked with a cruise line or not? I've goubd their website quite confusing. Do they work in Australia at all or just the U.S.?

I'm not sure about Australia but I know they will work with you even after you have booked your cruise. They did with me the first time. I found out about them after I had already booked. Send them an email if you cant call and see what they can do.

I'm not sure about Australia but I know they will work with you even after you have booked your cruise. They did with me the first time. I found out about them after I had already booked. Send them an email if you cant call and see what they can do.

Do they charge for their services?

We went to the developmental paediatrics the other day.

He recommended that with autistic kids that you set up a routine straight away. The routine will help make them feel secure and reduce the behaviour issues.

We are also changing medications to risperdril & a dexamphetermine as it's hard to get ADHD drugs issued for kids under the age of 6.

Hoping this will help settle my son & that he enjoys the cruise.

• 2 years later...

We have three kids with autism ...... one of each ...... and if you are like us you will get the joke

We would LOVE to bring them on a cruise with us however

The oldest (girl) is non-verbal, has a mental age of 8 (ish) .... loves water, loves food, is active until she drops dead to sleep, would likely jump OB for a swim as she has no fear ....... needs 100% supervision

The middle guy hates crowds and lives in his online life "bedroom" - quote him, 'if i want to see it I will Google it'

The youngest guy only eats fries and does computer stuff and thinks the high seas are full of pirates like Captain Jack Sparrow- and does not want to EVER leave home/country.

But of course we love them all ..... however to take them on the high seas would be cruel to them and us cos we would never relax

Now you may understand why we choose to cruise alone but smile and sympathise with those who chose to cruise with their special needs treasures

• 2 weeks later...
Carnival will do fine. We have taken my severely Autistic son on their ships many times. About to go again in April.

Just make sure they know what your needs are. Getting on and off the ship without a big line is the best thing for us. RCI has more kid friendly things than Carnival despite what some silly man is promoting RCI is no more Autism Friendly than Carnival.

If you are still around/actively posting, I'd love to speak with you about how your experience(s) have gone! I have a son w/autism and ADHD currently going through puberty (yay :rolleyes:) and my biggest concern is his elopement issues. Only recently heard about Autism on the Seas and thinking I should probably recruit some help through them too... I know he would love the fun things a cruise has to offer, I just want him to stay safe of course.

I plan to look into it more soon. We stopped taking family vacations of any kind due to his elopement and I know we can't just be reclusive forever :( nor do I want to keep travelling without him all the time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
If you are still around/actively posting, I'd love to speak with you about how your experience(s) have gone! I have a son w/autism and ADHD currently going through puberty (yay :rolleyes:) and my biggest concern is his elopement issues. Only recently heard about Autism on the Seas and thinking I should probably recruit some help through them too... I know he would love the fun things a cruise has to offer, I just want him to stay safe of course.

I plan to look into it more soon. We stopped taking family vacations of any kind due to his elopement and I know we can't just be reclusive forever :( nor do I want to keep travelling without him all the time.

Hi PrettyPenny7

I have 2 special needs children. DD#1 is 20, ASD - Aspergers but quite severe, very significant sensory issues, Panic Disorder, Generalized Anxiety, Social Phobia but very intelligent. DD#2 is 17, mild ASD - Aspergers, Generalized Anxiety, Social Phobia, Panic and recovering from Anorexia Nervosa.

Our 8th cruise with Royal Caribbean is in 35 days. Royal has been great for things like advanced special needs boarding, last off and waiting in a private space for disembark, private muster drill, pre-assigned dining table to meet your needs, accommodating odd requests in the dining room (15 shrimps (not 14 or 16 but 15) arranged on a round place) etc. I believe their children's programs are adjusted for the developmental needs of the child. Royal is autism friendly, so they have a greater range of accommodations easily available. They even have a downloadable social story about your cruise on their website.

We have also looked into Autism on the Seas and they seem great! If your child is more severely autistic or if you are not used to travelling with him, that might be a great option for you. We are looking into it for my older DD to be able to travel independently as she gets older. We may try a family cruise with them next.

We travel with melatonin to help my kids sleep in a strange place (though the rocking of the ship helps a lot), and lorazapam gets us through boarding and disembark. I have found the constant motion of the ship really helps my older DD (the vestibular input she needs) and she is much calmer at sea.

Good luck with puberty! That was a rocky time!

Colleen