P & O catering for coeliacs/gluten free

Hobscheshire

Hi, I have just been diagnosed as a coeliac and notice on the P&O website that they seem to be quite accommodating by arranging special menus etc in the MDR. Does anyone have experience of this service please? We usually go for freedom dining, does that cause any issues or would I have to be there at a set time so they can provide my meal? Also, we tend to go for the buffet at breakfast( and lunch if on ship), so are there also gluten free labelled options at the buffet or would I have to speak with the chefs there as well? Thanks in advance

Hi, I have just been diagnosed as a coeliac and notice on the P&O website that they seem to be quite accommodating by arranging special menus etc in the MDR. Does anyone have experience of this service please? We usually go for freedom dining, does that cause any issues or would I have to be there at a set time so they can provide my meal? Also, we tend to go for the buffet at breakfast( and lunch if on ship), so are there also gluten free labelled options at the buffet or would I have to speak with the chefs there as well? Thanks in advance

Hello,

There was a separate section in the buffet on Ventura last month for ‘special diets’ / gluten free.

Re the MDR, as long as you advice them beforehand there shouldn’t be any problems. What should happen is that when you arrive at the restaurant they will know your cabin number & your food ‘intolerance’. The section Head Waiter will make themselves known & give you a separate menu. When you’ve nearly finished your meal they will bring you the next days menu & you can chose from there.

On our cruise there was a lady on the table next to us who had a severe food intolerance. So much so that a separate meeting was arranged with one of the chefs to design a menu for her.

P&O are very good at this sort of thing so I don’t think you’ll have any problem.

Enjoy your cruise.

I have a severe intolerance to gluten. I must say that I feel that I am treated like a queen. As has been said above the head waiter will give you the menus the night before. They are the same menus as everyone else has. You choose which you would like and a gluten free version will be prepared. I always order lunch as well. There is a diet chef on board.

We always go for club dining, but it works the same on freedom. We also eat at the speciality restaurants and they just ask that you go to see them 24 hours in advance. We tend to avoid the buffet, but have seen gluten free options and you can ask for toast at breakfast.

One thing to be aware of is the scrambled eggs. You should check with one of the chefs in the buffet to confirm that they are gluten free.

You need to advise P&O, either through your travel agent or direct with P&O of your allergy.

You will be well looked after

Val

Edited by Mrsvemb
Forgot something

I am a medically diagnosed Coeliac and I notify the cruise line a couple of months pre cruise. I do not make a big thing of it, but the head waiter comes around the MDR Table each night and provides me with the dinner menu for following night. We do Traditional Club dining, same waiters etc every night, then they all know where to find me. My wife is not Coeliac. Before the end of the meal the Head Waiter comes back and takes my order. It is rare that I get knocked back on a dish, they can do wonders with the menu, even down to GF pastas and pastry. Ships have a section in the galley for special diets. When I did the ships tour of Oriana couple of years ago I spoke to the diet chef and thanked him.

We do breakfast and lunch in the buffet and I use my head to find the GF items. If in doubt I ask. GF bread is generally available, ask and they will toast it for you. The previous poster mentioned scrambled eggs, yes you need to be careful there. Most cruise lines use the liquid egg to make them and the omelets. Couple of times on P&O and Princess I respectfully asked to see the egg mix carton at the omelette station, they showed me and sure enough, thickened with wheat. I enquired about scrambled eggs and the buffet supervisor and chef told me they use the liquid egg mix for that as well. So I steered away from it. It is not in my nature to trouble them and ask for an omelette made from real eggs, they have better things to do. Sometimes I will take some GF bread away from breakfast and keep it for lunchtime if I want to get a burger without the bun from the deck grill, just make my own.

Yes, most of the cruise lines are very good with special diets.:halo:

If I am on a shorex which includes lunch, I just work around it, generally some fruit or salad available, but if not, go without. So we very rarely pick a shorex that includes lunch. Such is life.

Edited by NSWP