MSC Meraviglia: [emoji324]My Solo birthday adventure! [emoji324]

Bra_BE2014

How was your Magnifica cruise? I want to cruise as much as you when I grow up [emoji4]

We really enjoyed the fact that it was a 9 night cruise. I'm planning to do a mini review at the weekend. I'm currently nursing a miserable head cold at the moment. clear.png?emoji-frown-1741

I think we're getting a little burned out doing 4 cruises a year, TBH. We've one big one next March in YC from Dubai to Japan for 28 nights. I don't think we'll do another in 2018. We'll spend the time looking forward to our March 2019 cruise on Divina for 31 nights and catch up on some much-needed home maintenance works. That's the plan, anyway. clear.png?emoji-roll-eyes-1744

DAY 5 - Valetta

I have been worried about the weather for the past 2 days as the forecast on my Iphone app was Thunderstorms and heavy rains.

To my surprise, the daily paper the night before said the forecast was 25º cloudy. Okay then, stupid iphones being dramatic, no need to skip the excursion and lose my money, right? I mean there is NO WAY that my app can be more accurate then the Captains top of the line nautical, forecast system, duh.

I put my umbrella on my backpack just in case.

Anyway, bright and early I went to the excursion meeting point and we walked together to the bus, under light rain. I almost turned around and went back to the ship but I was embarrassed to be a drama queen. BIG MISTAKE.

Half way through the bus ride, the world fell off, heavy rain and the brightest lighting strikes I’ve ever seen.

We sprinted through the narrow streets of Mdina to reach the Cathedral to wait up until the storm got a bit better.

I’m sure the Cathedral was beautiful but I didn’t really pay attention, I was soaked wet with my feet sloshing around in my water soaked sneaker.

In the meantime, the MSC representative was snapping pictures of the church, and at no point she checked with the elderly people if they were okay. Maybe that’s not in her job description, who knows.

We stayed 1 hour inside the Cathedral and it was pretty clear the rain would not get better, so we sprinted again to the bus and headed back to the center of Valetta.

Once there, a family with young children who were afraid of the storm asked to stay in the bus but were denied as it was ‘against the rules’

I asked ‘pitty that taking the guests with metal umbrellas im the middle of the lighting storm is not against the rules’

She promptly replied that it was a level 2 excursion, people are supposed to walk.

Okay then! I’ll save my complaints to someone who cares in the ship.

Our guide took us to the saint John cathedral where we could see the Caravaggio paintings. Again, I couldn’t care any less if Caravaggio himself would pop up in front if me,

There was just no way to enjoy walking around in those conditions.

Once I managed to dry off my hands a bit, I took out my phone for the first pictures of the day with less risk to having it water damaged

The floors

bdef49ef3995a987bbf639ad4ecf6909.jpg

The walls

fb268d90f3fe6c11fd395ecffbd51a33.jpg

The altar

6ce3ef08f683d2902caf644ef646fda2.jpg

We were not allowed to take pictures in the Caravaggio room.

We finally went back to the bus to head back to the ship.

After a hot shower and some hot baileys coffee in the top sail lounge I started to feel better

0da92e727453d109edf503de4be177c8.jpg

The situation then was still like this

de7386ca5e55c9ad866e081b2388a888.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Now, is MSC responsible for the weather? Of course not.

But they are 100% responsible of how they respond to it.

In June on the NCL Epic, we skipped the Livorno stop because of similar weather conditions.

The captain back then made an announcement that he preferred to sail further to better weather so people could enjoy the day since it’s dangerous to be on the sun decks during a lightning storm.

That would never be an option on MSC because there were people waiting to embark and desembark on Valetta, so nobody mentioned anything and it was a regular day with ‘25º cloudy’ conditions. I cant help but think they lied on the forecast. Because the other option is to assume that my iphone app is more accurate then the ships system and that is absolutely terrifying.

I went for dinner and although the food was good, I walked out with no desert after 1,5h because I was already in a bad mood and the waiting was making it worse

Dim sum combo

0f247bdce441dfe2f18136ed8b8b2a2a.jpg

Some fish I forget the name

55e238a1aecba3a3b5a8490808fd15b8.jpg

I’m not 100% sure which show I watched, I think it was the Flamenco show

9db8c155a1b95b80fed7c85df82f939b.jpg

Up next: Sea day with behind the scenes tour, fun, fun, fun!

Is it just me or does this ship's layout remind you of the Royal Caribbean ships? The officers on a walkway overhead, the sales tables lining the promenade!! Entertainment crews parading down the promenade. Just a thought.

I’m not familiar with RCL but indeed I noticed they took inspiration from other ships, for exemple, the aft pool looked exactly like Spice h2o.

We really enjoyed the fact that it was a 9 night cruise. I'm planning to do a mini review at the weekend. I'm currently nursing a miserable head cold at the moment. clear.png?emoji-frown-1741

I think we're getting a little burned out doing 4 cruises a year, TBH. We've one big one next March in YC from Dubai to Japan for 28 nights. I don't think we'll do another in 2018. We'll spend the time looking forward to our March 2019 cruise on Divina for 31 nights and catch up on some much-needed home maintenance works. That's the plan, anyway. clear.png?emoji-roll-eyes-1744

Wow, 28 nights on YC sounds sublime!

Take care, hope you feel better from the flue soon.

[emoji8]

dear priscila, I certainly would not want to rush you buuut

pretty pretty PLEASE come back, your readers are waiting!!!

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Oh sorry!

Its been a crazy week at work, and I didn’t have the energy for much else.

Must be my new old age, lol

Continuing now [emoji8]

DAY 6 - Sea day

I was really looking forward to the sea day as the behind the scenes ship tour would be today.

I got a bit less excited the night before when I received the excursion tickets advising the tour would start at 8AM. I mean, c’mon.

To optimise my sleeping time, I filled in my room service breakfast card and selected the first possible delivery time of (7:30-7:45). It would cut a little close but my plan was to be ready then just have the breakfast and leave.

My butler William didn’t disappoint and showed up at 7:30 with my order

e1d2e51282be5760bfed4d27444581c2.jpg

The pancakes were hot and delicious and were a most pleasant way to start my day!

I then headed to the theatre where the tour would start with the backstage. There was me and 2 more people in the English speaking group so it was perfect.

Hats and wigs

5a8720be41900d38d5e05f799cfd8950.jpg

Costumes

8415c739ef9cc916df2bb8e7fa361ec2.jpg

We then proceeded to see a hallway if crew cabins where we weren’t allowed to take pictures.

They took is then to the laundry room where the seriously big machines were impressive

47140c7af78da964f3e1787528e34346.jpg

I want one

fbb4a20aea1bd7cd725a26ed6810d433.jpg

The magic machine that swallows crumply clean sheets and delivers ironed, folded ones [emoji7]

1382c0df99ddcbec00ed5a8c0f356bd5.jpg

Gala night prep

1c641f95894f875ae7b43782abd2b723.jpg

Baked Alaska, yum!

Sadly, they didn’t serve any in the YC restaurant, booooooo

257515eff4231282b97597abe3a9e740.jpg

We ended inside Waves restaurant where we could remove the sexy outfit. It was pretty cool to see one of the MDR’s.

I get that YC spaces are supposed to be elegant and bla bla but this was way prettier! (IMO)

bce8dfd5c6d38595f36f8232a20ca9f1.jpg

4e6d72c2fcd49d354d1ef610fb40aa16.jpg

Perfect timing, as it was time for the welcome back cocktail to returning guests. I made a quick appearance and left, it was a bit bizarre.

They roped off Galeria Meraviglia and had servers pass around prosecco and juice fir the people inside the blocked area.

To get in, you had to show the invitation

426adacfbe3218a61ce090452810e57e.jpg

faaa03849ae4db968d5b8d88e0e73676.jpg

DAY 6 - Sea day (cont.)

After having a quick prosecco at the ‘welcome back’ gathering I went up to the one pool grill to grab a bite to eat.

It was absolutely crowded and all 96 lounges (they said the number during the tour) were either occupied or chair-hogged with towels. This was 12 h.

Horrified, I left and and went to the buffet. At least there I knew it was supposed to be full so I relaxed and had a delicious lunch

409198f272ec8ef9e37853b639ac2b04.jpg

I love rotisserie chicken with gravy and had it several times at the buffet throughout the cruise.

e07b51bcd50cecce10b1d0e00cc4d3a3.jpg

With nothing better to do, I went to top sail lounge have a drink, enjoy the sights and use some more of my purchased internet.

After a well deserved nap, I got ready for the second gala dinner, but no selfie this time!

The menu didn’t disappoint and I was really looking forward to my first cruise lobster!

I started with fois gras créme brûlée

3038e7b0a6fde704d43ceeeffe87ffae.jpg

And then the beast:

85d8f76d68b534cc53450cd0cfbb59d5.jpg

It tasted delicious but it honestly had 4 bites worth if meat in it. I could have ordered another one but I couldn’t afford to lose the time as I had a show to go.

Desert was crépe Suzette

378b135845a31b84c73007dc740bb666.jpg

All in all it was a great meal, washed out with prosecco rosé

74930e06ab7f3aa71e0e2ff0113d632c.jpg

Tonight’s show was:

87d54683e11122cd12a64ad76778b97d.jpg

I really enjoyed it, I liked that the side screens showed the English translation if the lyrics so we could understand the significance of the scene.

Afterwards I went to bed, to rest for the upcoming day: Barcelona!

Did you do all your meals solo, or did you ever join a larger table? I guess that might have been a bit odd in the Yacht Club eh?

Yes. I did!

Staff comes and goes from/to your table so many times that I never really felt alone.

I never even think about joining another table, there were mostly couples, it would be weird, lol

I plan on doing a live review on my cruise next year so a solo table would certainly be better for all the menu/food photos. Despite what one might think due to my age, I've never been the type to take photos of food for Instagram or anything like that so I'm sort of wary about the prospect....I might look into upgrading to a YC cabin after some open after final payment and if I get one I'll dine solo and that'll make it much easier to swallow.

I plan on doing a live review on my cruise next year so a solo table would certainly be better for all the menu/food photos. Despite what one might think due to my age, I've never been the type to take photos of food for Instagram or anything like that so I'm sort of wary about the prospect....I might look into upgrading to a YC cabin after some open after final payment and if I get one I'll dine solo and that'll make it much easier to swallow.

Don’t worry, everyone was taking food pictures, so you won’t stand out because of that!

A live review sounds awesome, I’ll certainly read it!

DAY 7 - Barcelona

The last day of the cruise arrived in a heartbeat and I was determined to enjoy the ship.

I made it a ‘sea day’ and stayed aboard to enjoy the good weather in The one pool.

And that’s exactly what I did! Forgot to mention earlier that the day before listed the following activity:

c4987b516769a6f5023fb75267db930e.jpg

I was too afraid to check it out, has anyone attend? Lol

There was a MSC family reunion going on at port and then we could really appreciate how huge the Meraviglia truly is:

eb8d480dcc93ad044cc8097d855056c7.jpg

Now, at this point, 9AM in Barcelona I realised I forgot to book a MSC transfer back to the airport. I went to the concierge desk and asked if it was still possible.

They said ‘sure, the procedure is bookings can be done until 12 AM of the day before, upon availability’ phewwwww!

They took my flight time and number and said ticket would be sent out to my cabin in the evening, like a regular excursion.

Relieved, I continued enjoying my surroundings

51d5ac0a09e48d3584eb706a9161692b.jpg

I spent a good deal of time swimming on the pool until this older gentleman got in and started blowing his nose inside the pool. I flew away faster then lightning and that was the end of my pool adventures.