Where can I get passenger data on cruise lines/ships?

maxmiller3

Hello everyone,

I am pretty new here but I definitely want to learn more about this whole ecosystem.

I am currently working on a data project where I need some monthly information (as updated as possible) on how many passengers a cruise line or just a cruise ship carry on each trip or in total for the month.

It would be great if anyone has similar information or in general anything that helps is appreciated.

What would also work is how many passengers arrive at what port.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards.

Cruise lines are usually not very forthcoming on the exact passenger counts for each cruise on each ship.

But it may help you to know the average occupancy for each ship.

Since you have asked for "general" information, I can tell you that the mass market lines, which carry the vast majority of passengers every year, are sailing at just over 100 % average occupancy year around.

100% occupancy is defined as all lower berths occupied.

If you do a bit of research to find the number of lower berths on each ship in question, then add a few percentage points, you will come quite close to the actual numbers.

If you want to be a bit more precise, the mass market ships have higher numbers (110-125% occupancy) during summer school holidays, and family holidays like American Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year, and Easter.

In general, shorter cruises (7 days and less) tend to skew higher than longer cruises (10 days and longer). But since a very high percentage of cruises are 7 days on bigger ships, the much smaller number of longer cruises on smaller ships doesn't change the averages very much.

As always, Google is your friend.

... What would also work is how many passengers arrive at what port.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards.

Try cruisecal.com for port passenger loads.

I also wanted to welcome you to Cruise Critic.

Cruise lines are usually not very forthcoming on the exact passenger counts for each cruise on each ship.

But it may help you to know the average occupancy for each ship.

Since you have asked for "general" information, I can tell you that the mass market lines, which carry the vast majority of passengers every year, are sailing at just over 100 % average occupancy year around.

100% occupancy is defined as all lower berths occupied.

If you do a bit of research to find the number of lower berths on each ship in question, then add a few percentage points, you will come quite close to the actual numbers.

If you want to be a bit more precise, the mass market ships have higher numbers (110-125% occupancy) during summer school holidays, and family holidays like American Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year, and Easter.

In general, shorter cruises (7 days and less) tend to skew higher than longer cruises (10 days and longer). But since a very high percentage of cruises are 7 days on bigger ships, the much smaller number of longer cruises on smaller ships doesn't change the averages very much.

As always, Google is your friend.

Who would be the mass market lines?

Thank you for your response.

Try cruisecal.com for port passenger loads.

I also wanted to welcome you to Cruise Critic.

Hi,

Thank you very much! I am very excited to be here.

Unfortunately cruisecal.com costs money. I am still a student. Would be great to get any information for free.

Hi,

Unfortunately cruisecal.com costs money. I am still a student. Would be great to get any information for free.

Cruisecal has some free parts, like the itinerary lookup: http://www.cruisecal.com/portal/ItineraryLookup/tabid/2918/Default.aspx

Other sites are cruisetimetables.com and cruisett.com, though I'm not sure about the accuracy of cruisett.com anymore.

Who would be the mass market lines?

Thank you for your response.

HAL, NCL, Carnival, RCCL, Celebrity, Princess, Costa, MSC

this is my assessment...it is based on cost of the typical cruise that are available for most people

hope this helps

If you want to figure out passenger capacity counts by cruise line two sources come to mind.

Type in the name of the cruise line and wiki and you will end up with a listing of all their ships and passenger capacity counts.

Another excellent source which is available on Amazon.com is the annual ocean cruising book written by Douglas Ward and published by Berlitz which gives you overall capacity per ship. It is a very good resource book.

Keith

The major cruise companies are all public companies so you can also research their data under Investor Relations on their web sites. The annual reports have their load factors per year and the quarterly data may be in the quarterly reports.

HAL, NCL, Carnival, RCCL, Celebrity, Princess, Costa, MSC

this is my assessment...it is based on cost of the typical cruise that are available for most people

hope this helps

My experience is that Celebrity, Princess, and HAL don't overbook like some of the other mass market lines. There are times when people here have complained about not being able to add a third or fourth passenger to a cabin because the ship's capacity has already been reached. On our one Carnival cruise together, however, we think they filled every available berth. It was very crowded.

Hi,

I guessed that you are a student who has been assigned a report to write. Research means doing your own research. It does not mean having someone else do it for you. This also means finding your own data sources.

How do you plan to handle doing research when you graduate and your employer asks you to research a project?

DON

I guessed that you are a student who has been assigned a report to write. Research means doing your own research. It does not mean having someone else do it for you. This also means finding your own data sources.

How do you plan to handle doing research when you graduate and your employer asks you to research a project?

DON

Two Gold Stars.....