Hong Kong to Singapore

lizzyr

We are taking the Celebrity Cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore in January 2018. Would love suggestions for hotels in both cities and also in Hanoi and Saigon since the ship is moored overnight near those cities.

Thanks.

We are taking the Celebrity Cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore in January 2018. Looking for other people to join us in private tours as opposed to the ship tours. We are active senior couple who love to explore the culture of different ports of call. We live in San Diego, CA.

Elizabeth & Rick

We are taking the Celebrity Cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore in January 2018. Would love suggestions for hotels in both cities and also in Hanoi and Saigon since the ship is moored overnight near those cities.

Thanks.

You should head over to the Ports of Call forum and have a look around. Ask your question there. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=365&f=5

We are taking the Celebrity Cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore in January 2018. Looking for other people to join us in private tours as opposed to the ship tours. We are active senior couple who love to explore the culture of different ports of call. We live in San Diego, CA.

Elizabeth & Rick

This discussion is supposed to be on your Roll Call. Here's a link to the Celebrity Roll Call forum.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=365&f=206

Scroll down to find your ship and click on that thread. Then look through the list to see if your cruise has a Roll Call started yet.

Elizabeth & Rick

Guys, as others have said, your roll call will be the best place to try to get private tour shares with and the ports section for specifics on your destination.

As far as hotels are concerned, whilst in Vietnam I'd probably not do anything hotel wise and just use the ships facilities. I'm sailing between Singapore and Hong Kong myself next March and have several similar overnight stops. I simply wouldnt see the point - unless you were straying a fair distance away and the time allowed it.

For Singapore I'd probably say staying on or near Orchard Road would be best, though Singapore is relatively small enough not to need to do that and chose simply on the hotel and price. Taxis won't be too expensive either way.

Hong Kong I'd probably say I'd personally choose something you can get too easily from the cruise terminal to the hotel - preferably with an MTR station close by and (for me) in a location that's got nice harbour views - and similarly for your departure to the airport, have easy transfers. If it were your intention to use taxis everywhere then this would negate much of the above, which is simply how I've come to chose where I will stay. I've not booked yet (I will in the next week) but will be looking at either somewhere on HK Island near Victoria Pier or somewhere near HK Coliseum in Kowloon. Prices vary considerably though I have found numerous giving generous discounts to pay in advance (and forgo any refunds for cancellations) I'm kinda thinking here if were to have to cancel, I would seek a refund via insurance. You may prefer just to make a reservation and stay fully flexible. I'm just giving the above as a variation for you to consider.

Have fun... and no doubt will see you in the Asia port section as I will be fact finding in there myself.

to Les37b

Thanks a bunch for all your excellent information, appreciate it.

Have fun on your trip. We toured China last year, find the Asian counties and culture quite fascinating.

Eliz

Thanks.

You might consider an overnight Chinesse Junk cruise in Ha Long Bay instead of taking the long trip into Hanoi.

We did that last November and thoroughly enjoyed it.

to Les37b

Thanks a bunch for all your excellent information, appreciate it.

Have fun on your trip. We toured China last year, find the Asian counties and culture quite fascinating.

Eliz

You are very welcome.

• 1 month later...

In Singapore, we stayed at the Conrad Hilton - the MTR (subway) was right across the street from the hotel - took the MTR directly to the Marina Bay Pier MTR stop and literally walked 10 minutes under a covered walkway to the ship. Easy as pie. You can also do this in reverse. MTR was really cheap.

I think that Hong King and Singapore are two of the most difficult cities for choosing a hotel. The reason? Both cities have numerous great hotels (we are talking dozens in each city) that are in various locations. And while "location is everything" in those two cities it really depends on personal preference as there are multiple good locations in both places. We have just been dealing with the Singapore hotel issue (finally decided on the Shangra-La) and it was really difficult to make up our minds....despite the fact that we know the city (and several hotels) quite well.

And even when you do finally decide on a hotel you then have to deal with the type of accommodations And this can be even more madness. For example, once we decided to go back to the Shangra-La (we do love their properties) we had to decide between 2 separate towers of the Garden building....and then whether we wanted to pay extra for access to a private club (which is a way to get free breakfast and cocktails). .

Hank

I think that Hong King and Singapore are two of the most difficult cities for choosing a hotel. The reason? Both cities have numerous great hotels (we are talking dozens in each city) that are in various locations. And while "location is everything" in those two cities it really depends on personal preference as there are multiple good locations in both places. We have just been dealing with the Singapore hotel issue (finally decided on the Shangra-La) and it was really difficult to make up our minds....despite the fact that we know the city (and several hotels) quite well.

And even when you do finally decide on a hotel you then have to deal with the type of accommodations And this can be even more madness. For example, once we decided to go back to the Shangra-La (we do love their properties) we had to decide between 2 separate towers of the Garden building....and then whether we wanted to pay extra for access to a private club (which is a way to get free breakfast and cocktails). .

Hank

Have been to Singapore 4 times before and only really considered location wise not being too far from Changi ... was isn’t too difficult given its size.

We are back in March next year staying at the Shangri Las (booked as part of the Silversea package), so pleased to hear it’s a chosen place to stay. As you say there are so many good hotels. Had the choice been available, I’d probably have booked marina by the bay. Great location (for airport and cruise terminal) and views. ... and an iconic building.

My interest in going back down to research undertaken for next year, may mean a return not a too long after next March.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums