Transport from Miami Int Airport to Hotel in Miami

suedobie

HI I have cruised many times before but always with everything included, 3 of my friends and myself are going on Anthem of the Seas on 9th Dec for a Caribbean cruise, it is their first cruise, I want it all to go smoothly, I have planned it all for them but would like some info about getting to the hotel we are staying at in Fort Lauderdale the day before our cruise also getting to Miami Int Airport disembarkation day, would it be better to book a taxi in advance? I remember all the ques for taxis from previous cruises

If so could anybody recommend a reliable company

Just grab a cab from the line, there will be van cabs that accommodate all of you. It's not worth the effort to book in advance. If you want to book ahead of time, check the Florida departures board for more information.

Not sure you can simply "book a taxi" and have it waiting in all that traffic and confusion during disembarkation. You could book a private car/driver...but you are going to pay a real premium. My suggestion is to simply use Uber or Lyft (both of which cost less than taxis). You use their app as soon as you get out of the terminal and can track the driver's progress at getting to your location. We tend to favor Uber (but Lyft is similar) and will usually call our driver (the app gives you their contact cell number) to give exact instructions on where to meet us. We will usually walk a half block or so away from the crowds and arrange for our pickup at that point.

Hank

HI I have cruised many times before but always with everything included, 3 of my friends and myself are going on Anthem of the Seas on 9th Dec for a Caribbean cruise, it is their first cruise, I want it all to go smoothly, I have planned it all for them but would like some info about getting to the hotel we are staying at in Fort Lauderdale the day before our cruise also getting to Miami Int Airport disembarkation day, would it be better to book a taxi in advance? I remember all the ques for taxis from previous cruises

If so could anybody recommend a reliable company

The same and similar questions that you have asked come up several times each week on the Florida Departures Board.

Let me suggest you repost this on that board.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=495

Keith

Just grab a cab from the line, there will be van cabs that accommodate all of you. It's not worth the effort to book in advance. If you want to book ahead of time, check the Florida departures board for more information.

Many thanks, will defo need a van as there are 4 of us each with 2 LARGE cases ;p

Not sure you can simply "book a taxi" and have it waiting in all that traffic and confusion during disembarkation. You could book a private car/driver...but you are going to pay a real premium. My suggestion is to simply use Uber or Lyft (both of which cost less than taxis). You use their app as soon as you get out of the terminal and can track the driver's progress at getting to your location. We tend to favor Uber (but Lyft is similar) and will usually call our driver (the app gives you their contact cell number) to give exact instructions on where to meet us. We will usually walk a half block or so away from the crowds and arrange for our pickup at that point.

Hank

Many thanks, will give Uber a try

Need to clarify- you are flying into Miami, but sailing from Port Everglades in Ft Lauderdale, and staying in a hotel in Ft Lauderdale, correct?

Take a look over at the Florida Departures board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

The commonly recommended method is to shuttle to your hotel. Taxi is one of the more expensive options. Uber is a better choice than taxi.

Need to clarify- you are flying into Miami, but sailing from Port Everglades in Ft Lauderdale, and staying in a hotel in Ft Lauderdale, correct?

Take a look over at the Florida Departures board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

The commonly recommended method is to shuttle to your hotel. Taxi is one of the more expensive options. Uber is a better choice than taxi.

Yes we are staying at the Hilton Ft Lauderdale Marina, going to try Uber thanks

You do NOT want a cab for the trip from Miami to Ft. Laud....way too expensive! Heck into SAS Transportation or google "transportation between Miami-Ft. Laud".....a cab is fine within each city..but NOT between them...

This is another time when we prefer Uber which is often about the same price as a shared shuttle. For example, we recently were staying at the Embassy Suites (17th St) in Ft Lauderdale and needed to go to the Port of Miami. We called an Uber X car (for the two of us) and were on our way to the Port in about 5 minutes. The ride cost $33 (total cost for two). But an even bigger benefit was that we did not summon Uber until we were ready to go....so they came on our schedule (as compared to shared shuttles where you are on their schedule). And unlike shuttles, we had our own car and went directly from our hotel to our ship's pier with no stops. Many Shuttles will have to wait for others or make several stops to pick-up more folks....and once at the port they may make several stops (at other ships) before they get to your vessel.

Hank

Couple weeks ago we flew into MIA and needed to go to the JW in downtown Miami. We scheduled Super Shuttle and it was a nightmare. The pickup went smoothly but the driver picked up the wrong passengers by mistake and we had to wait at the cruise port while he figured it out. Then the driver unloaded our suitcases and they were picked up by a porter. (remember we were not going the the cruise port this day) I had to jump out of the van and get our suitcases back. We used Uber after that, both before and after our cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have also used Uber without any problem. For our cruise next week we are going to try Lyft (I have read too many negative news articles about Uber's corporate culture). When I signed up for Lyft they sent me an email offering a $50 credit ($5 off first 10 rides).

Uber is almost always cheaper and you don't have to either pay in cash or worry about your credit card being compromised.

Cheaper is not always a deciding factor for all.

I prefer to jump in a yellow ca b. If it costs me $5 more, I'm okay with tha.t For those who prefer to ride Ub er or LYft, how great we have choi c es. :) We each get to make our own choi c e. Do what you like best

Edited by sail7seas

Couple weeks ago we flew into MIA and needed to go to the JW in downtown Miami. We scheduled Super Shuttle and it was a nightmare. The pickup went smoothly but the driver picked up the wrong passengers by mistake and we had to wait at the cruise port while he figured it out. Then the driver unloaded our suitcases and they were picked up by a porter. (remember we were not going the the cruise port this day) I had to jump out of the van and get our suitcases back. We used Uber after that, both before and after our cruise

WHat is the JW you reference?