Service members always save -- is this new?

cruisestitch

I don't recall seeing this announcement before. I knew that there were occasional military discounts but this appears to be something new == category 12 or Z only? Or possibly valid on other categories? As usual, poorly worded but perhaps worth looking into.

"*Prices are per person, cruise only, for stateroom category 12 or Z. Military Savings Offer applies to select 4-night and longer sailings departing July 1, 2017 – April 30, 2019. Offer excludes Galapagos. At least one guest in the stateroom must be an active or retired member of the United States or Canada Military. A valid U.S. or Canadian military ID must be presented at the pier to validate eligibility. If eligibility cannot be validated, you will be charged the current standard cruise fare or otherwise be denied boarding.

Full deposit must be paid by deposit payment required due date. Standard full deposit penalty is applied if booking is cancelled within final payment period; see Celebrity’s cancellation policy for details.

Savings Offer amounts are per person and based on stateroom category: $25 for inside and ocean view; $50 for veranda; and $100 for Concierge Class, AquaClass and Suites. Savings applied to cruise fare at checkout. Offer applies to first and second guest in the same stateroom.

Offer applies to new individual bookings and to staterooms in non-contracted group bookings, which must be named and deposited during the Offer Period. Offer is capacity controlled, availability varies by sailing, and eligible staterooms may sell out. All offers are non-transferable and applicable only to the Offer Cruise. Offer may be combined with one other brand offer excluding Book & Go Packages, Exciting Deals, Interline, senior, loyalty, resident, net, travel agent, and employee rates. No refunds or credits will be granted for unused options. Offer and prices are subject to availability and change without notice, capacity controlled, and not applicable to charters or contracted groups. Single occupancy bookings are eligible for the Offer. Changes to booking may result in removal of Offer.

Refer to celebritycruises.com and the Cruise Ticket Contract for additional terms and conditions. Celebrity reserves the right to cancel the Offer at any time, correct any errors, inaccuracies or omissions, and change or update fares, fees and surcharges at any time without prior notice."

We have recieved the military discount on 2 recent bookings. On one we booked a guarantee veranda and got $50pp off; a few weeks later AQ dropped and so we upgraded. Celebrity rep increased our military discount to $100pp. :D

I see that on Royal Caribbean, honorably discharged veterans with 2 years of service qualify for a military discount if available. I don't see this on the Celebrity website. I am not a retiree but I'm pretty sure I have received a military discount on Celebrity. Is this a change to the qualifications?

No, not a change to the qualifications. What seems to be different here is that the military discount used to be a sometime thing not offered on every cruise. According to this, at least according to the headline, it's something offered on every cruise now.

It didn't come from the website, it was part of the email announcing new deployments.

I see that on Royal Caribbean, honorably discharged veterans with 2 years of service qualify for a military discount if available. I don't see this on the Celebrity website. I am not a retiree but I'm pretty sure I have received a military discount on Celebrity. Is this a change to the qualifications?

A friend carries a reduced laminated copy of his DD214. I think I'll have to dig mine out.

on Princess you fax form once and it is then set up in your account for future cruises. Sailing X for 1st time since 2005, and was told to bring a copy when checking in at the port. I think 1st time i'll bring copy and original. Mike in CT

So to clarify, even though it isn't specified on the Celebrity website, honorably discharged veterans with two years of active duty qualify for the military discount, if offered. Sorry to sound dense but the website used to specifically mention honorably discharged veterans. Of course, the website used to do a lot other things as well!

Dotty

just searched "military service credit" on X website, took me to : Service Members Always Save. doesn't mention 2 years of service. Does say "select" 4 night and longer cruises from 7/01/17 - 4/30/19. Excludes Galapagos At least one guest must be retired US or CAN military . Savings are "per person" and is applied to both passengers. $25, 50 or 100 depending on cabin catagory. Our Jan Eclipse booking show $100 each, (our Edge bookings for Jan 2019 show 150 each on each cruise - no idea why, i won't ask ???) . Mike in CT

It would be nice to get the police discount now and again. Never have received it on any of my cruises and I have checked often. I guess homicides against cops being up 61% this year isn't quite enough to honor them for their service. Of course the bad apples spoil the whole bunch.

I'm a veteran and old. I always check any of the "discount" options available when we book. I have never seen any price change as a result.[/quote

When you book a cruise, always ask about a military discount, they may not "offer" it to you unless you ask. If you have one booked now, call and ask how to get it. (and you don't have to be old). :cool::cool:

I'm onboard Reflection and booked a TP solo. After I read this thread, went back to Future Cruises and got a $200 fare reduction today. Thank you for posting this info. In my oblivion, I never would have asked. I did have to show my retired ID card. Friends went back today too and he didn't even have to show his 214, although he had it. A little cultural bias going on but I'm good with it. Thanks again.

We didn’t get the military discount initially but when I called Captains Club $400 OBC appeared on our account [emoji16]. We’ve also received first responders discounts, but only when we call & ask. KuffMUp, keep asking

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I called the Celebrity call centre only to be told that the veteran discount only applies to US and Canada. The call centre operator could give no rationale why other veterans were excluded. I was given an email address for Celebrity in Australia which I am following up on. If past experience is anything to go by I will be lucky to get a response

Awfy...was the military discount for the upcoming Eclipse cruise? If so, is it based on a military fare or a $ discount off a normal fare? Thank you

Lisa and Gerry

No, it was on our Hawaii sailing last year. It wasn’t a fare or discount. We received it in OBC

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A friend carries a reduced laminated copy of his DD214. I think I'll have to dig mine out.

My husband carries a copy of his DD214 as well - but most recently his drivers license now says VETERAN on it, which is pretty cool!! He has used the military discount on Royal before as well.

I don't see the discount all the time, but feel all military should receive discounts as they put their lives on hold for others, and should be rewarded in many places, it's nice that cruising is one, and Celebrity/RCCL honors them by doing that.

It's coming up on Veterans Day, Nov 11 in the US, so you might see more discounts coming. My husband enjoys sailing over this time. If you are on board with Royal on that day, they give a nice meet-up for Veterans, and we have learned many stories about our servicemen, and servicewomen. I'm not sure what they do on Celebrity as we haven't sailed over Veteran's Day with them yet.