HME and Portable Suction - any issues bringing aboard

balcony bound

First time cruising with an HME and portable suction, and wondering if these are generally recognized when boarding as allowable medical equipment or if we need any documentation? It didn't even occur to me to question taking them on board until I came across a question elsewhere. We haven't cruised since DH had his laryngectomy and I would hate to run into an issue. Yes, I did email the special needs department, but haven't heard back. Wondering if anyone here has experience with this. Thanks.

Do you mean Home Medical Equipment (HME)? Wondering if your DH needs oxygen. If he needs oxygen most of the time, you can rent a floor concentrator like the ones in homes. A medical supply place near the cruise terminal will have it in your room on arrival. You’ll need to let the ship’s special needs dept know that you need a heavy duty extension cord. Don’t bring your own. Their’s are very heavy duty and no charge. Portable suction machine won’t be an issue but you’ll need to plug it in. Ship will give you a gallon or more of water to rinse catheters. You don’t need documentation for medical equipment, but good idea to let Special Needs dept know what you’ll be bringing. I’ve found them to be very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for your reply. No oxygen, the "HME" is a heat moisture exchanger. I'm assuming there is no issue with it as it is medical equipment, but you never know. We have traveled with a heavy duty extension cord for other equipment, never had an issue with taking that (so far) :)

I’m sure you’ll have a wonderful cruise. I found people to be very caring and accommodating. DH and I had cruised for many years, then 5 years ago he had serious medical issues. Didn’t stop us! We went on several cruises after he started dialysis, then added oxygen, then a wheelchair. You will be fine. I’d love to know when and where you’re cruising. Please do get your extension cord from ship’s engineering.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums