Do you use the stateroom safe?

Alaynne

Been cruising since the 70’s and as soon as they started putting them in the cabins we have used them, my wife has about 75k In jewelry she takes on trips and we always use the room safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife has $75 in jewelry she takes on trips and we always use the cabin safe. :)

We used to travel with these for our valuables, not bothering with the safe, but I guess they were not as inconspicuous as we first thought. :D

192614689_betterthanasafe.jpg.573f2a1fc2622ee4dcbac17e9f002cde.jpg

Edited by DirtyDawg

Getting ready to go on my first cruise in November, and I've been reading anything I can get my fingers on re: in room safes and if they are really safe. I've read everything from ... the in room safes are not very safe, and placing your valuables in the suitcase under your bed, or ... using the purser to store your valuables, ...to carting around all your precious paperwork, etc. What do you do to keep your valuables safe while on shore or enjoying the ship?

Thanking you in advance for your insights

Please provide a reference from which you got this idiotic idea.

DON

If going on your 1st cruise and worrying about how safe is the safe. And that's the most pressing issues, your never going to enjoy your cruise. My god, just use it or not. It's there for your safety. I hope you use a bank and not keep your cash under the mattress at home. Let's move on to a different issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

If going on your 1st cruise and worrying about how safe is the safe. And that's the most pressing issues, your never going to enjoy your cruise. My god, just use it or not. It's there for your safety. I hope you use a bank and not keep your cash under the mattress at home. Let's move on to a different issue.

Interest rates are so low you may as well spend your money on cruises.

The safe is the first thing i look for in a hotel or ship and the name SAFE indicates why you should use it ie to keep personal valuables Safe.

I really doubt that many people carry more than the equivalent of 10,000 USD each (usually the amount you are required to declare) when they fly out to join a cruise. That would buy a LOT of excursions!

No, that's about the going rate for the Ultimate Photo Package. Includes all 8x10's, 5x7's, wallets, Photo album, Canvas Poster, cruise ship themed wall frame, and of course the digital CD.

But she claims to have spent 100s of nights in hotel rooms so she must have plenty of money etc.

The fact she makes a big issue about not using a safe ever certainly sounds very strange to me and that's the reason i question whether she has had a bad experience with a safe or just plain silly.

I have spent THOUSANDS of nights (yes, I have), and seldom use the safe. Almost never in hotels.

However, I do not travel with a lot of cash. There are these new fangled things called CREDIT CARDS, that are accepted all over the world. The few times I have been to locations where credit cards were not accepted (and there are a few left), I carry traveler's checks and arrange to have them cashed the day before I leave, and I immediately pay my bill.

But, as I stated, even in the one hotel that had a sign posted that stated, "Do Not Tempt" and went on to ask to not tempt their staff, I have not had anything stolen from my room.

No, I don't leave my cell phone or large amounts of cash (more than $50) laying out, but put it out of sight. But e-readers, laptops, etc, I have left out.

I have spent THOUSANDS of nights (yes, I have), and seldom use the safe. Almost never in hotels.

However, I do not travel with a lot of cash. There are these new fangled things called CREDIT CARDS, that are accepted all over the world. The few times I have been to locations where credit cards were not accepted (and there are a few left), I carry traveler's checks and arrange to have them cashed the day before I leave, and I immediately pay my bill.

But, as I stated, even in the one hotel that had a sign posted that stated, "Do Not Tempt" and went on to ask to not tempt their staff, I have not had anything stolen from my room.

No, I don't leave my cell phone or large amounts of cash (more than $50) laying out, but put it out of sight. But e-readers, laptops, etc, I have left out.

I keep my credit card along with car keys,house keys,Gucci and Rolex watch, medications,money, passports,flight boarding cards as well as my wifes gold and diamonds and credit card in our ship safe.

I am extremely grateful to be able to lock all these items away in the safe to give us peace of mind.

I am sure some people are not as fortunate to possess what we do but if the safe is there it is a no brainier not to use it.

Graham.

I'm glad you have been fortunate and if you want to continue to 'tempt' it's your choice. Just to share a story, a family member went to Las Vegas a few years ago and stayed in a hotel. She does use the safe for valuables. However her stuff is relatively nice and you can't lock up everything. She had an empty purse (a nice one) stolen from her room one day. Luckily her valuables were locked up or the theft could have been a lot worse. She did report it and the hotel eventually reimbursed her for it but it took months and was a headache. We already were locking our valuables in the safe when we traveled but this just reinforces the point. Especially for meds since those are needed daily and not easily replaced when traveling.

I'm glad you have been fortunate and if you want to continue to 'tempt' it's your choice. Just to share a story, a family member went to Las Vegas a few years ago and stayed in a hotel. She does use the safe for valuables. However her stuff is relatively nice and you can't lock up everything. She had an empty purse (a nice one) stolen from her room one day. Luckily her valuables were locked up or the theft could have been a lot worse. She did report it and the hotel eventually reimbursed her for it but it took months and was a headache. We already were locking our valuables in the safe when we traveled but this just reinforces the point. Especially for meds since those are needed daily and not easily replaced when traveling.

Another great post and justification for using the safe.

The difference is, on a ship, if you miss the ship, they will open your safe and get the contents to the port agent. So if it isn't in the safe, it will probably stay on the ship.

So passport, cell phone, money, credit cards are good to put in the safe, not to keep them from being stolen, but for easy retrieval by the purser in case the ship sails without you.

As I mentioned before, I seldom put things in the safe in hotels, and have not had any issues with several thousands of nights in hotels (almost 1700 nights in Marriotts alone).

I think it is security, along with a hotel officer who will retrieve passposrt from safe if guest fails to return to the ship. If the passsport is found in the safe, it is turned over to the por t agent. When goinjg ashore, ALWaYs bring contact information for the part agent. That inforatmion is is found in daily paper or port information sheet aned eadch port has a different agent. Port agent is your 'friend in town' should you have an emergency. They will asist you parfcuarly if returning back late to the ship..

Not since on MSC a few years ago: Multiple people (100+) had issues opening them the last night and some of the cabin stewards came around saying "if you don't want to wait for us use code...." Same code has worked on 3 different lines so NOPE not using it.

Not since on MSC a few years ago: Multiple people (100+) had issues opening them the last night and some of the cabin stewards came around saying "if you don't want to wait for us use code...." Same code has worked on 3 different lines so NOPE not using it.

Are you speaking from experience, or passing on what someone's friend's brother heard from his girlfriend's cousin?

The logic sounds similar to that of someone who refuses to drive a car because a few years ago someone had a fatal accident in one.

Lol. Sailing tomorrow on NCL Dawn. Going to leave my cash, pro dslr, passports, DW jewelry, and pro iPad on the desk. LOL, NOT. IT'S a Safe, USE IT. WHAT ELSE IS IT FOR.

Are you speaking from experience, or passing on what someone's friend's brother heard from his girlfriend's cousin?

The logic sounds similar to that of someone who refuses to drive a car because a few years ago someone had a fatal accident in one.

Or refusing to wear a seatbelt because they once heard of someone being saved because they were ejected from a car that sank into a lake, or some other dubious "rationalizing" story to back up their obsession about not wanting to wear seatbelts. .

Was thinking the same thing - I doubt that any entity would want to open themselves to potential litigation because of this

So, on the off chance that what you claim is actually true (which I doubt), you prefer to leave your valuables unsecured in the rare chance that some random person will know that alleged code number and open your safe? You are making yourself 100% vulnerable by not using the safe instead of fractionally vulnerable by using it, even if your story is not total fantasy. Not sure what the logic is with that approach. :rolleyes:

I did a little research, and was surprised to find that there’s a grain of truth in that override code story. Some brands of safe have a master key, but some apparently have an override code instead, which only Security should have access to. The code can (and should!) be changed from the maufacturer’s setting, and kept under close security. So if human error creeps in and the code gets shared with unauthorised people, or the cruise line was lazy and left the master code on the factory setting, the safe could be less secure than we would wish.

I’m still think I’m better off to use the safe, though.

Source: Gizmodo

A quote from the article:

“We're still trying to discern the make of the unit in question up there, [in the video] but it looks pretty standard issue. Manufacturer Nationwide Safes doesn't make this one, but had this to say:

The safe shown in the video is not one of our hotel safes. However, most hotel safes, including the one shown in the video, support two user codes: a guest (user) passcode and an override code for use by hotel security. When a guest forgets her code, the safe may be opened by hotel security using the override code.

It is important to note that only the most negligent of hotel operators would leave the override code set to all 0's, a default code, some other easy to guess code. The override code can (and must for obvious reasons) be changed to something difficult to guess prior to putting the safe into operation.”