Wanted: Rough Seas

rmf11699

We once asked a (now retired) Holland America Captain (who had been at sea for over forty years) this same question. If quick answer was the Drake Passage (between South America and Antarctica. That being said, we have spent far more then 1000 days on cruise ships (as a passenger) all over the world The roughest seas we have ever encountered was in August of 1992 on a short Celebrity cruise (the Meridian) from NYC to Bermuda. Late at night, on our first cruise evening, we ran into Hurricane Bob...which had suddenly changed its course and crossed right into our path. Seas ran 45-50 feet for nearly 10 hours and it was quite an experience.

Hank

You can maximize the roughness you will feel by taking a room as far forward as you can on the highest passenger deck.

Keith

This is our favorite place to be! I love it when we attempt to walk straight down the hallway feeling like you are flying off the floor one minute, and then like you weight 600 pounds the next!

While the Drake Passage and the Tasman Sea are the areas where high seas may be most frequently encountered, the Bay of Boscay, around Hatterss, and pretty much anywhere in the North Atlantic or North Pacific you can "enjoy" 40-plus foot seas giving you a great ride.

We have heard about the Bay of Biscay seas for as long as we have been cruising (about forty years). We have crossed the Bay of Biscay more then a dozen times (we never kept records) and have had nothing but relatively calm seas. Go figure. :).

Hank

Two places: FIrst is kind of hard to believe. We have experienced really rough seas between New York City and Miami TWICE. And second, there is a spot south of Acapulco where two mountains act like a wind tunnel resulting in bad offshore waves. Also had that happen twice.

Our experience with the Drake Passage in the winter was perfectly flat, calm seas. You just never know.

We have heard about the Bay of Biscay seas for as long as we have been cruising (about forty years). We have crossed the Bay of Biscay more then a dozen times (we never kept records) and have had nothing but relatively calm seas. Go figure. :).

Hank

There is something about the contour of the sea bottom in Biscay- when there is a steady wind creating swells out of the northwest, the moderate seas start piling up amazingly - making it one of the wildest parts of the Atlantic. Most other times, the fact that it is largely enclosed by Spain to the south and France to the east and northeast makes it one of the calmer parts of the Atlantic.

It's the luck of the draw.

Do passenger ships get into the Bering Sea?

Besides expedition ships, the Crystal Serenity has done a couple of North West Passage voyages thru the Bering....I was on the recent one, in August, and it was as smooth as a lake...in fact it was quite foggy....

I have read that the Irish Sea can often be rough...

Drake Passage and the southern oceans are notorious for that and I will be there on a small ship in 5 weeks time. Definitely feeling a little apprehensive but it is the right of passage to Antarctica.

Besides expedition ships, the Crystal Serenity has done a couple of North West Passage voyages thru the Bering....I was on the recent one, in August, and it was as smooth as a lake...in fact it was quite foggy....

I have read that the Irish Sea can often be rough...

How did you like the Northwest Passage? Did you see a lot of wildlife? How was the scenery like?

We are trying to decide between several arctic itineraries for next year and the NW passage is one of them.

Edited by ms Eden

The Drake Passage from South America to Antarctica was by far the roughest seas we have ever encountered. Our cabin drawers flew open and banged shut all night. It was worth it for the destination, though, and we would do it again.

My husband is looking forward to the Drake Shake in Dec 2017...I am looking for the Drake Lake...I have heard that these waters can be the roughest in the world...yikes! From this forum it seems there are some mighty rough seas in other places too.

Drake Passage and the southern oceans are notorious for that and I will be there on a small ship in 5 weeks time. Definitely feeling a little apprehensive but it is the right of passage to Antarctica.

How did you like the Northwest Passage? Did you see a lot of wildlife? How was the scenery like?

We are trying to decide between several arctic itineraries for next year and the NW passage is one of them.

Fantastic! Truly the Cruise-of-a Lifetime....rather than try telling you, I suggest you take the time to view this video, taken of our cruise....

This is our favorite place to be! I love it when we attempt to walk straight down the hallway feeling like you are flying off the floor one minute, and then like you weight 600 pounds the next!

Why do some people love rough seas? Maybe I'm a coward because although I love cruising I'm always praying for the smoothest passage possible. I honestly cannot see any pleasure in being tossed about like a fairground ride. The Tasman Sea was awful but on our table of 10, only myself and one other hated the crossing. I did make it down for dinner because I felt I needed something in my stomach ( a couple of mouthfuls of plain salmon), the other person didn't appear and the rest of the table, DH included, tucked into a hearty meal calling with delight as the next wave hit the window!!!!

Incidentally the crossing was bad enough that crockery, glassware and bottles of booze were smashed. The joke was that we would all be eating our meals off paper plates until we reached our next port.

Why do some people love rough seas? Maybe I'm a coward because although I love cruising I'm always praying for the smoothest passage possible. I honestly cannot see any pleasure in being tossed about like a fairground ride. The Tasman Sea was awful but on our table of 10, only myself and one other hated the crossing. I did make it down for dinner because I felt I needed something in my stomach ( a couple of mouthfuls of plain salmon), the other person didn't appear and the rest of the table, DH included, tucked into a hearty meal calling with delight as the next wave hit the window!!!!

Incidentally the crossing was bad enough that crockery, glassware and bottles of booze were smashed. The joke was that we would all be eating our meals off paper plates until we reached our next port.

I think you answered your own question when you mentioned fairground rides. Many folks do love those rides :). Like many here on CC, we love to be on cruise ships (and been doing it for forty years). We understand that sea and weather conditions are oft unpredictable and part of the experience. We prefer smooth cruising because a really rough day causes problems such as having to cancel a show with dancers. But when it gets rough, its just another day at sea and we have learned to roll with the waves. I will also mention we have seen quite a few cruisers psych themselves out and worry themselves sick. The worst case of this (we have witnessed) was with a young German lady who turned green and got quite ill..as she sat down for dinner on HAL's Rotterdam. At the time the Rotterdam was tied up against a pier in Rotterdam (Holland) where we were in a completely calm river (many miles from the sea). That poor lass remained in her cabin for the 6 day crossing (her husband was not pleased). It was a very calm crossing but this poor lady probably got sick just looking at the sea (from land).

Hank

For the most part, I agree with you...if you want thrills, go to an amusement park...or take a whitewater rafting trip

That said, I like just a little bit of motion at sea, just enough to feel that I am at sea, and not in a resort...the motion of the ocean makes me sleep like a baby...:cool:

Crossing the Labrador Sea between Greenland and Canada was the roughest I have experienced. I was in a mid ship cabin, and everything on shelves ended up on the floor. I was too busy holding onto my bunk to do anything else.

When you notice the crew tying the chairs and tables to anchors in the dining room floor, you know it's going to get rough.

What months is it rough in the Tasman Sea?

Maybe someone from AU/NZ will respond, but I think it can happen any time of year. Our sailings have all been January-March. It was very rough on 4 out of 5 sailings.

Yes, rough seas can be experienced at any time of year across the Tasman, however there is a higher probability of encountering rough seas between April and September - which is why few cruises go to NZ during those months.

We've crossed the Tasman twice The first time with 5 metre seas and the second with barely 1 metre seas. We've also had 4-5 metre seas going north up the coast from Sydney on a couple of occasions - the conditions that affect the Tasman Sea sometimes continue up the SE coast of Australia.

The North Pacific Ocean, starting in early Fall, as well as the Tasman Sea, at times, have produced my most "interesting" sea conditions.

I will be experiencing the Drake Passage this Winter and I am looking forward to this adventure, whatever King Neptune decides it will be.

We have crossed the Drake twice (December). On the way south it was smooth as glass. Three days later, on the way back north, waves were crashing against the 12th floor windows! Captain told us to secure everything in our cabins that night. We didn’t get pitched out of bed, but we were sore and achy the next day. Totally worth it.

4 cruises from NYC to the caribbean and 2 of them had 30-40' seas in the Atlantic. Same effects as noted- deck rising to meet your step, hands along the walls, liquor bottles smashed on floors, people sick and shut in cabins while we ran around having fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums