Afternoon High Tea by Sweet P The Bermuda Perfumery, Stewart Hall, Queen Street, Town

irisheileen

Any opinions on this establishment? Have you gone to this tea? Thanks!

Afternoon High Tea by Sweet P

The Bermuda Perfumery, Stewart Hall, Queen Street, Town of St. George

Paula Hayward, Pastry Chef and Nicki O’Connell, proprietors of Sweet P, hosts Afternoon High Tea every Wednesday and Saturday in historic Stewart Hall, home of The Bermuda Perfumery.

Cost for the Afternoon High Tea: $24.00 per person, which includes an assortment of freshly baked pastries and miniature cakes, scones, finger sandwiches and fresh fruit tarts, all served with Bermuda fruit preserves, Chantilly cream and local honey. The menu is adapted weekly to bring to the table the freshest local seasonal ingredients for a unique tea experience. Cash only. Reservations recommended.

Admission into The Bermuda Perfumery is free.

ENQUIRIES:

Paula Hayward or Nicki O’Connell, Sweet P, 4 Aunt Peggy’s Lane, St. George’s GE 05, tel 441 747 2060, email sweetpbermuda@hotmail.com

Looks like this is something very new. Up until now, one of the few places one could get high tea was at the Fairmont Hamilton or Fairmont Southampton Hotels. Definitely cheaper at Sweet P's. Will be anxious to hear any feedback.

Someone posted that tea is also being served at a place at Dockyard.

Edited by iheartbda

iheartbda- cute name BTW!

High Tea does sound nice, doesn't it? A walking tour of St George followed by a bite to eat with "High Tea" to sit awhile just might be the ticket. I've been to Tea before elsewhere, here near Philly. Disney World has it, but so pricey, so I didn't go. This establishment is a bakery so I'm hoping that it'll be extra tasty.

We are cruising this August and I'll report back if we do attend the Tea. Hoping to hear from anyone on this board to see if it's worth it.

• 1 month later...
iheartbda- cute name BTW!

High Tea does sound nice, doesn't it? A walking tour of St George followed by a bite to eat with "High Tea" to sit awhile just might be the ticket. I've been to Tea before elsewhere, here near Philly. Disney World has it, but so pricey, so I didn't go. This establishment is a bakery so I'm hoping that it'll be extra tasty.

We are cruising this August and I'll report back if we do attend the Tea. Hoping to hear from anyone on this board to see if it's worth it.

Hi irisheileen,

I was researching High Tea at The Bermuda Perfumery, and came across your post. We are also sailing to Bermuda this August; August 19 to be exact. When are you going? Where did you first hear about the High Tea. I would love to do this. BTW, my folks are from Sligo, Ireland. Where are you from?

I have not been but my sister and three friends went and said it was absolutely wonderful......every detail was nicely done. We are planning to be in Bermuda in July and are planning to partake in a bit of tea.

Edited by Maple Sugar

Paula Hayward, Pastry Chef and Nicki O’Connell, proprietors of Sweet P, hosts Afternoon High Tea every Wednesday and Saturday in historic Stewart Hall, home of The Bermuda Perfumery.

Cost for the Afternoon High Tea: $24.00 per person, which includes an assortment of freshly baked pastries and miniature cakes, scones, finger sandwiches and fresh fruit tarts, all served with Bermuda fruit preserves, Chantilly cream and local honey. The menu is adapted weekly to bring to the table the freshest local seasonal ingredients for a unique tea experience. Cash only. Reservations recommended.

ENQUIRIES:

Paula Hayward or Nicki O’Connell, Sweet P, 4 Aunt Peggy’s Lane, St. George’s GE 05, tel 441 747 2060, email sweetpbermuda@hotmail.com

Based on the description provided, I would call this Afternoon Tea. In the past, I was reamed on this forum for not making the distinction between High Tea and Afternoon Tea:

High tea (also known as meat tea) is an early evening meal, typically eaten between 5pm and 7pm. It is now largely followed by a lighter meal later in the evening.

Afternoon tea is a small meal snack typically eaten between 2pm and 5pm.

Source: wikipedia.org

On my most recent visit to Bermuda, I had Afternoon Tea at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess. It was delicious and sooooooooooooooo elegant, and so was the price ($35.00), but that won't stop me from having Afternoon Tea on each visit to Bermuda.

Did I say I really enjoyed it, and learned that it is served in a NYC hotel.

SBtS

Hi irisheileen,

I was researching High Tea at The Bermuda Perfumery, and came across your post. We are also sailing to Bermuda this August; August 19 to be exact. When are you going? Where did you first hear about the High Tea. I would love to do this. BTW, my folks are from Sligo, Ireland. Where are you from?

My DH and I are sailing on the Veendam on August 12. Are you on HAL?

County Clare are where "my people" come from :)

Have you found out any interesting facts about this tea in your research?

I found it on a Bermuda Tourism website. Can't remember just which one, now.

My DH and I are sailing on the Veendam on August 12. Are you on HAL?

County Clare are where "my people" come from :)

Have you found out any interesting facts about this tea in your research?

I found it on a Bermuda Tourism website. Can't remember just which one, now.

Hi!

We (DH, and our 13 year old DS) are sailing on Norwegian Star on August 19, so I guess you will be disembarking while we wait to board :) We sailed on HAL Noordam a few years back, and enjoyed our aft suite. We were sad to see HAL leave NY, and happy the Veendam is here for a while.

I think you shared the most important info. I have read the menu changes for the tea, so that they can ensure the freshest seasonal ingredients. I am excited about it! Too bad we are not sailing the same week. It would have been fun to meet there!

This tea was discussed by Chris who does the talks on on-shore shopping. He said it had won the vote for best Afternoon Tea. It fills up fast so if you plan on going, I'd make your reservations now. It doesn't happen everyday. I believe Wednesday is one of the days.

A tour of the perfumery alone is worth the effort just to see this lovely old home.

I purchased the library of ten samples for $30. I thought it was a nice souvenir since I don't wear much perfume.

ENQUIRIES:

This is absolutely wonderful! I've been to some Afternoon Teas(one at The Plaza Hotel in NYC), and it's my dream to get to England to experience both Afternoon and High Tea in its original setting. I'm sailing on the Summit 9/2, and this sounds like a great thing to do! I'm so glad I found your post...off to do some research:D

geri

• 1 month later...

I think you shared the most important info. I have read the menu changes for the tea, so that they can ensure the freshest seasonal ingredients. I am excited about it! Too bad we are not sailing the same week. It would have been fun to meet there!

My husband and I plan to have afternoon tea at the perfumery as well, and I think someone else on our roll call had it in her itinerary as well! We are going to take a ferry to St. George on day one and walk around a bit beforehand. I am waiting to hear back from an email I sent about a reservation. Let me know if you want me to add you and we could meet up! I'm not sure what time tea is offered, but I am hoping for around 2pm so we can head over to see the caves afterward. We've never been to Bermuda and are so excited :)

My husband and I plan to have afternoon tea at the perfumery as well, and I think someone else on our roll call had it in her itinerary as well! We are going to take a ferry to St. George on day one and walk around a bit beforehand. I am waiting to hear back from an email I sent about a reservation. Let me know if you want me to add you and we could meet up! I'm not sure what time tea is offered, but I am hoping for around 2pm so we can head over to see the caves afterward. We've never been to Bermuda and are so excited :)

Hi Msvegas! I am happy to meet you. :)

Tea is offered twice on Wednesday. There is a 2pm and a 3:30pm service. I have not picked a time yet, so I would love to join you, if it is not an imposition. It will just be me, my name is Jo Anne. My DS and DH are not into tea.

Is there another Roll Call for the 8/19 sailing on Cruise Critic? I started this one in March when I couldn't find one. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1589884 OR am I a total dork :o, and I don't recognize you from the roll call? I am so confused :rolleyes:

This will be our first time to Bermuda too, and I am excited to have three whole days to explore a new island!

Just over 3 weeks and we are outa here! :D

Hi Msvegas! I am happy to meet you. :)

Tea is offered twice on Wednesday. There is a 2pm and a 3:30pm service. I have not picked a time yet, so I would love to join you, if it is not an imposition. It will just be me, my name is Jo Anne. My DS and DH are not into tea.

Is there another Roll Call for the 8/19 sailing on Cruise Critic? I started this one in March when I couldn't find one. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1589884 OR am I a total dork :o, and I don't recognize you from the roll call? I am so confused :rolleyes:

This will be our first time to Bermuda too, and I am excited to have three whole days to explore a new island!

Just over 3 weeks and we are outa here! :D

Hi Jo Anne,

I joined the roll call a few days ago, so no worries. It's not an imposition at all! We'd be happy to have you join us, esp. if your family isn't interested. We love it! On our last cruise with Princess, they served afternoon tea every day and we wouldn't miss it! Wish NCL had it! Anyway, I will let you know when I hear back about the reservation. We are Melanie and Harry, BTW :)

Can't wait for this cruise! I'm obsessed :D

Hi Jo Anne,

I joined the roll call a few days ago, so no worries. It's not an imposition at all! We'd be happy to have you join us, esp. if your family isn't interested. We love it! On our last cruise with Princess, they served afternoon tea every day and we wouldn't miss it! Wish NCL had it! Anyway, I will let you know when I hear back about the reservation. We are Melanie and Harry, BTW :)

Can't wait for this cruise! I'm obsessed :D

Awesome. Thanks so much, Melanie. I am excited to join you, and learn a bit about afternoon tea on Princess too!

Just returned from Bermuda today and am missing it terribly! We did the afternoon tea at the Fairmont Princess Hotel in Hamilton on Sunday. It was the first thing we did when the ship pulled into the dockyard. We took the ferry over to Hamilton and walked to the hotel (5-10 min. max). The tea was wonderful! We had a 3:00 pm reservation. Along with the tea, we had scones with jam and clotted cream, petite fours, finger sandwiches, etc. The cost was $35 per person plus 17% gratuity. IMHO, it was well worth it. We hadn't eaten lunch so we were looking for a bite to eat. It was perfect! I would definitely go again when in Bermuda. Enjoy!!

Just returned from Bermuda today and am missing it terribly! We did the afternoon tea at the Fairmont Princess Hotel in Hamilton on Sunday. It was the first thing we did when the ship pulled into the dockyard. We took the ferry over to Hamilton and walked to the hotel (5-10 min. max). The tea was wonderful! We had a 3:00 pm reservation. Along with the tea, we had scones with jam and clotted cream, petite fours, finger sandwiches, etc. The cost was $35 per person plus 17% gratuity. IMHO, it was well worth it. We hadn't eaten lunch so we were looking for a bite to eat. It was perfect! I would definitely go again when in Bermuda. Enjoy!!

That's great! So glad you enjoyed your afternoon tea too! I suggest you book another cruise to Bermuda to cure "missing it". :)

Awesome. Thanks so much, Melanie. I am excited to join you, and learn a bit about afternoon tea on Princess too!

Okay, so I heard back about the tea and requested a reservation for the 3 of us at 2pm. :) Oh, yeah, and these were the additional details:

Thank you for your message. We, Sweet P serve Afternoon High Tea at The Bermuda Perfumery on Wednesday and Saturday from 2-5 pm . It is $24 per person cash please. We offer a selection of finger sandwiches, miniature tea cakes and tarts, mini quiche and off course scones with local jam, honey, whipped butter and chantilly cream.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone from one of the August cruises who made it to the afternoon tea at the Bermuda Perfumery come back yet? If so, how was it?

Also, does anyone know anything about the dress code for this tea and the one at the Fairmont Princess Hotel?

Anyone know of any other good afternoon teas to consider in Bermuda?

We will be on the 9/2/12 NCL Star cruise. We are really looking forward to it. We definitely would like to try an afternoon tea somewhere while in Bermuda. Thanks.

Be well,

Jim & Al

Has anyone from one of the August cruises who made it to the afternoon tea at the Bermuda Perfumery come back yet? If so, how was it?

Also, does anyone know anything about the dress code for this tea and the one at the Fairmont Princess Hotel?

We will be on the 9/2/12 NCL Star cruise. We are really looking forward to it. We definitely would like to try an afternoon tea somewhere while in Bermuda. Thanks.

Be well,

Jim & Al

I sent an email earlier today to Sweet P asking about the dress code and if slacks or capri's would be appropriate. I will post their reply once I hear back.

.......................... We definitely would like to try an afternoon tea somewhere while in Bermuda. Thanks.

Be well,

Jim & Al

On our cruise to Bermuda, we had afternoon tea at the Hamilton Princess. It was sooo elegant and delicious. I wore a sport jacket and SWMBO wore something nice. I remember seeing people pass by who were not as well dressed, but I don't know if they were there for tea.

I can't understand why anyone would ride the ferry to St George for Afternoon Tea when there is the Hamilton Princess so close by.

SBtS