Best lightweight 360/spinner luggage? (2017 ~ 2018)

I purchased a Ebag's mother lode carry on suitcase and loved it. However, dragging it around the Honolulu airport for my cruise was not fun. Gave me shoulder and back pain.

I am on the hunt for a lightweight 360/spinner luggage that is extremely light weight (under 4 pounds) and is 9x14x22 with wheels, handles for a international flight. Hawaiian Airlines has a 25 pound carry on weight limit and would like to go back to HI one day. I don't want to break the bank either. I would also purchase a bigger size for my mother who is not into carry on. Any suggestions?

Anyone have any luck at the Samsonite outlets or Costco?

What is everyone's opinions on hard shell vs soft side suitcase?

Edited by Cruiseoholic000

OP - This isn't a specific answer to your question, just providing info. Spinner bags absolutely don't work on cobblestones, so if your future international travel is to Europe or the UK, you might wish to expand your search to include lightweight conventional two wheeled luggage.

I abhor 4-wheelers. They are nasty to try to pull through carpeted hotels (from personal experience) - my shoulder hurts when I have to pull one of them alongside - they never keep up with me. I deal with them enough on a day-to-day basis that I know I never want one myself. And, I could never imagine trying to deal with them over dirt trails in a safari camp or over the numerous cobblestone streets and sidewalks in Europe - I was always glad I had a 2-wheeler with the ability to also put it on my back (I have convertible bags) if necessary.

That said:

Since people have troubles stuffing their 22" 2-wheelers into aircraft overheads, those extra 2 wheels sticking out will probably make it more difficult. If I was forced to buy a 4-wheeler, I'd probably go for nothing bigger than the 20" models so I'd have space to easily put the bag up top.

I have an Eagle Creek Tarmac AWD in both a 22" and 25" and love them both. They piggy back great with each other and both bags include a piggy back strap built into the bag. This bag also works just as well as a 2 wheel bag if you tip it. Not cheap but it does have a "No Matter What" life time warranty that covers repair or replacement regardless of the cause. These bags are true to size. My 22" bag is 22" with the wheels.

Shak

We've been very happy with this Delsey one. https://m.macys.com/shop/product/delsey-hyperlite-20-20-carry-on-expandable-spinner-suitcase-only-at-macys?ID=2575176&CategoryID=25691

I'm not one to walk all over a city with my luggage, I usually take it straight to the hotel to drop it off. I'm from Europe and have never taken cobbles into account when purchasing luggage to be honest!

IT makes the lightest luggage I have found. Ebags has a number of IT carry-ons that weigh about 4 pounds. I have two. I first bought the two wheel version and had the same problems as you dragging it around. Before my next cruise I bought a spinner and love it. As mentioned above, spinners don't do well on rugs (and there would be no reason why I would ever be dragging my luggage over cobblestones) but you can just use it as a two wheel until you get off the rug.

IT makes the lightest luggage I have found. Ebags has a number of IT carry-ons that weigh about 4 pounds. I have two. I first bought the two wheel version and had the same problems as you dragging it around. Before my next cruise I bought a spinner and love it. As mentioned above, spinners don't do well on rugs (and there would be no reason why I would ever be dragging my luggage over cobblestones) but you can just use it as a two wheel until you get off the rug.

One of our 25"ish spinner IT Bag just suffered a fatal injury. It's been to Rome and Israel many times these past 7 years and owes us nothing.

The bag itself is fine, a bit scratched up and just starting to fray. This last flight, looking at the damage, looks like someone dragged the poor thing like a two wheeler, making one of the rear wheels completely unusable.

Bought it at TJMaxx and they're no longer carrying these bags :(. Have found them on ebags :).

Our carry ons have been either the IT bags 2 or 4 wheels, a similar weight 2 wheeled one we found in Rome and assorted duffle bags.

I prefer soft sided because I like a huge well of the soft suitcases rather than the two shallower wells of a hard, clamshell case. YMMV suitcase. IOW the clamshells have a heavy lid, when packed, to close.

Edited by SadieN

Another vote for IT. We bought ours because it is the lightest of the normal luggage by several pounds.

We've used it for four years and it always goes through airport luggage handlers. It looks the same as the day we purchased them.

Thank you for all your input! I saw some IT luggage online and thought it was going to be too flimsy but will have to look into it. The price is right as well. Is a carry on for a international flight size 9 x 14 x 22 or is it smaller?

(https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_72_0?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A7141123011%2Cn%3A9479199011%2Ck%3Ait+luggage%2Cp_85%3A2470955011%2Cp_72%3A2661618011&bbn=9479199011&keywords=it+luggage&ie=UTF8&qid=1496151783&rnid=2661617011)

Edited by Cruiseoholic000

Sorry I was to late to add this to the other post. I am also am thinking of bringing a small underseater piece of luggage and have that as my personal item. It should fit in the seat in front of me and would like it to sit on top of the carry on luggage.

Thank you for all your input! I saw some IT luggage online and thought it was going to be too flimsy but will have to look into it. The price is right as well. Is a carry on for a international flight size 9 x 14 x 22 or is it smaller?

(https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_72_0?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A7141123011%2Cn%3A9479199011%2Ck%3Ait+luggage%2Cp_85%3A2470955011%2Cp_72%3A2661618011&bbn=9479199011&keywords=it+luggage&ie=UTF8&qid=1496151783&rnid=2661617011)

I know that size works on British Airways and Virgin Atlantic but not sure it is on all International carriers.

Sorry I was to late to add this to the other post. I am also am thinking of bringing a small underseater piece of luggage and have that as my personal item. It should fit in the seat in front of me and would like it to sit on top of the carry on luggage.

You comment of "it should fit" worries me. Do not take it on the hope that it will fit - please select something small that, while not as big as you want, it will have no issues fitting. Also, remember, many of those seats now have underseat IFE (in-flight entertainment) boxes which take away some of that space you are used to having for your fee. I had an AA flight DFW-LHR where the box under the seat was so big that just my feet barely fit, let alone trying to put any kind of bag under there! If your designated "personal item" does not fit, PLEASE have the FA gate-check your other carryon and then you may put that item overhead.

Be sure to check your airline's definition of "personal item" and adhere to it. I've seen people dragging on a 22" roller and a 15" rolling "under the seat" bag. That 15" bag is by no means a "personal item" - it's a carryon!!! But, hey, if they want to have all their foot space taken up by a bag for a flight where we are crammed into a metal tube like sardines, go ahead.

Example: on Delta, they call out a "personal item" as:

• 1 purse, briefcase, camera bag or diaper bag
  • or 1 laptop computer (computers cannot be checked)
  • or 1 item of a similar or smaller size to those listed above

Remember - you'll have to put your purse inside that other bag - you can't have both. And, please be sure to put that second bag under seat, even if there is bag space above. Now, once the flight is at cruising altitude and the space is still there, go ahead and lift it up... "Bin hogs" are a pet peeve of mine ;)

You comment of "it should fit" worries me. .............

Yep

Measure the bag. Some 22" bags are really 24" from ground up because the manufacturer isn't including the wheel height. A true 22" bag spinner has the almost the same capacity as a 20" two wheel bag.

Mom found an interesting bag at Costco today. Expands from 15x8x13 to 22x8x13. Only issue for OP is that it has two wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Be sure to check your airline's definition of "personal item" and adhere to it. I've seen people dragging on a 22" roller and a 15" rolling "under the seat" bag. That 15" bag is by no means a "personal item" - it's a carryon!!! But, hey, if they want to have all their foot space taken up by a bag for a flight where we are crammed into a metal tube like sardines, go ahead.

Example: on Delta, they call out a "personal item" as:

• 1 purse, briefcase, camera bag or diaper bag
  • or 1 laptop computer (computers cannot be checked)
  • or 1 item of a similar or smaller size to those listed above

Remember - you'll have to put your purse inside that other bag - you can't have both. And, please be sure to put that second bag under seat, even if there is bag space above. Now, once the flight is at cruising altitude and the space is still there, go ahead and lift it up... "Bin hogs" are a pet peeve of mine ;)

I have status on Delta, so I am often one of the first onboard the flight, from where I can watch everyone else boarding. It gets my goat to watch people stowing. Honestly, some of the worst are the business people who put their heavy 22" (or bigger) rollers in, often having to stow them sideways because otherwise the doors wouldn't latch -- thus taking up at least two peoples' space. Then they take a quick look around and proceed to stow their heavy, stuffed briefcase (after removing the laptop) up there as well. (And often the suit jacket is folded and put on top. Ugh!!!

I have status on Delta, so I am often one of the first onboard the flight, from where I can watch everyone else boarding. It gets my goat to watch people stowing. Honestly, some of the worst are the business people who put their heavy 22" (or bigger) rollers in, often having to stow them sideways because otherwise the doors wouldn't latch -- thus taking up at least two peoples' space. Then they take a quick look around and proceed to stow their heavy, stuffed briefcase (after removing the laptop) up there as well. (And often the suit jacket is folded and put on top. Ugh!!!

Yep. I'm at a Delta fortress hub, so I fly DL (unless I want to suffer on WN to one or two destinations). Business people are big bin hogs. The rolling briefcase they bring as the "personal item" sure isn't going to fit underseat. I've been yelled at by those polite Diamond folks because I may put my ONE daypack up there (it's larger than a personal item, but smaller than a 22" roller) instead of stuffing it under my seat AND they want that space for their bag. Sorry, but it's going up top so I have room for my surgically-repaired ankle to be in a proper position for the flight...

I've seen a DYKWIA type get pissed at someone because the person wanted to move the jacket that DYKWIA placed in the bin beside their roller!!! PUT IT ON TOP YOU IDIOT... <rant over>

When I travel with my 22" roller, I'll more times than not just valet check it so I don't have to deal with bin hogs. Just because it's carry-on size, it does not need to be carried on ;)

I purchased a Ebag's mother lode carry on suitcase and loved it. However, dragging it around the Honolulu airport for my cruise was not fun. Gave me shoulder and back pain.

I am on the hunt for a lightweight 360/spinner luggage that is extremely light weight (under 4 pounds) and is 9x14x22 with wheels, handles for a international flight. Hawaiian Airlines has a 25 pound carry on weight limit and would like to go back to HI one day. I don't want to break the bank either. I would also purchase a bigger size for my mother who is not into carry on. Any suggestions?

Anyone have any luck at the Samsonite outlets or Costco?

What is everyone's opinions on hard shell vs soft side suitcase?

My friend and I both bought Skyway's Featherlite spinner carry-on for our 15 day land and cruise trip to Eurlope this past April. We both absolutely loved these suitcases. The carry-on was perfect for even Alitalia's stingy requirements. What I love the most is the smoothness of the spinner wheels. I just guided it with one hand and we zipped around everywhere with these.

We went through LAX International, Heathrow twice, the Venice airport, and Rome's FCO.

Highly recommend this suitcase. I bought it on ebags (it's actually a smidge over 19"):

https://www.ebags.com/product/skyway/fl-air-20-4-wheel-expandable-carry-on/300344?productid=10379121

Would a bag with a pocket be able to go over the handle OK? Looks like another great option. I will have to look into there return policy as well.

My friend and I both bought Skyway's Featherlite spinner carry-on for our 15 day land and cruise trip to Eurlope this past April. We both absolutely loved these suitcases. The carry-on was perfect for even Alitalia's stingy requirements. What I love the most is the smoothness of the spinner wheels. I just guided it with one hand and we zipped around everywhere with these.

We went through LAX International, Heathrow twice, the Venice airport, and Rome's FCO.

Highly recommend this suitcase. I bought it on ebags (it's actually a smidge over 19"):

https://www.ebags.com/product/skyway/fl-air-20-4-wheel-expandable-carry-on/300344?productid=10379121

Would a bag with a pocket be able to go over the handle OK? Looks like another great option. I will have to look into there return policy as well.

Yes! I had my travel bag/purse (large) riding on top and looped over the handle. Worked great.

The only issue that I see with this bag is the actual bag is about 18", not 20". Though it is nice that the dimensions are exterior, not interior.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another fan of IT luggage - lightest I have found - have a large spinner and smaller carryon. Much prefer the soft sided suitcases as they are typically lighter and more versatile for packing.

I also use cable ties to secure my luggage - easy to see if anyone has been 'inside' and easy to replace if opened by Customs....