Best thing to do in Key West?

skycomb

Visiting the Southernmost Point, Truman's Little White House, Hemmingway's house, stopping for a photo op at Mike marker 0, Key Lime pie, etc.

Take one of the trolleys for a tour of the island and then decide where you want to go.

Key West is extremely walkable - Duval St is only a mile long

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is the trolley free?

They are not - its roughly $25 pp, cheaper if you prepurchase online. Old Town Trolley and CityView Trolley are the two hop on/hop off and then there is the Conch Train tour. The full loop will take about 90 minutes but you see many points of interest and all three narrate during the tours. Great way to see the island and decide on what attractions you wish to stop at after.

We use Old Town Trolley only because there is a stop on Upper Duval where we usually stay.

Butterfly place near southernmost point. The Hemingway House is worth a visit. I have done the touristy pirate stuff near the port, and they are great for kids, but I prefer to get away from that area. I wish cruise ships would leave late enough to allow folks to enjoy the nightly sunset celebration.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh, and if you have never had a conch fritter, try one. And I have been known to indulge in a slice of frozen key lime pie on a stick dipped in chocolate. Those are Key West specialties.

Butterfly place near southernmost point. The Hemingway House is worth a visit. I have done the touristy pirate stuff near the port, and they are great for kids, but I prefer to get away from that area. I wish cruise ships would leave late enough to allow folks to enjoy the nightly sunset celebration.

What kind of touristy piratety things near the port? My 3 year old loves pirates so this would be perfect for us!

. I wish cruise ships would leave late enough to allow folks to enjoy the nightly sunset celebration.

The problem is that if a cruise ship is docked at or near Mallory Square, it will actually block the view of the sunset which is one of the reasons cruise ships are encouraged to leave early.

• 4 weeks later...
What kind of touristy piratety things near the port? My 3 year old loves pirates so this would be perfect for us!

The shipwreck museum is right next to Mallory Square. There is also a pretty nice aquarium where you can pet a shark. Not really pirate related obviously but that's not really what Key West was known for.

• 2 weeks later...

When our Miami based cruise is complete, we're planning to spend a few days in Key West at the Cypress Hotel The hotel website says they weren't hit as hard as they were expecting and they plan to reopen October 1st.

For all intent and purposes I hope their optimism is spot on:):)

Thinking of all those affected by the devastation!

When our Miami based cruise is complete, we're planning to spend a few days in Key West at the Cypress Hotel The hotel website says they weren't hit as hard as they were expecting and they plan to reopen October 1st.

For all intent and purposes I hope their optimism is spot on:):)

Thinking of all those affected by the devastation!

When is your trip planned? US1 is still closed south of Mile Marker 74, as some of the roads remain inaccessible.

• 1 month later...

My wife and I go to KW for 3 weeks every winter. This is our favorite place in the Western Hemisphere. Our first visit here was on a cruise ship stop, and we took the trolley tour. If we were to push the re-set button, that is what we would do again. It gives a really good overview of the town's vibe, architecture, and culture. After that, I'd suggest taking a walk - not on Duval Street, but on any of the other streets in Old Town. Finally, I'd head to bar with a full kitchen and live music for lunch. Don't worry if you're not into drinking (which is abundant but not mandatory in KW). We frequently will sit at a bar and drink club sodas with lime while listening to the music.