Question for florida residents ref clothes shopping

Shih-tzu

LONG STORY SHORT....I have lost weight since last cruise and over the summer. Hoping to take a cruise out of FLL in November.

Went clothes shopping yesterday and everywhere is filled with winter clothing....nothing summer or cruise suitable in sight. Everything is light black or dark black;p and Winter weight/wool blends. Depressing looking stuff to say the least,

As I am still on the weight loss train (and hoping there's no derailment) I am looking for inexpensive clothing to tie me over should I cruise.

So...the question is.....does Wal-Mart, Target etc in FLL carry summer weight/look clothing given the fact it's FLORIDA weather instead of 2 feet of snow? If so, I could zip over to a local store the day before when I fly in. I've been to Florida several times during the fall and winter but never went shopping so no idea what could be available.

I'm still in the "fluffy" size range (plus sizes) but perhaps if anyone knows (or are out and about shopping) they could check and let me know.

Most stores in Florida convert to what I call winter lite . Meaning they have hoodies , long sleeved t-shirts and even boots. Beall's is know as the Florida store and carries more cruise type clothes all year . Your other option is to buy some things online now that they are all on sale . I live in Florida so I stock up now for the rest of the year .

You might try online. Some place that has a good return policy so you can get a few different sizes of something to see what fits best and return the rest. I so often buy 2 of the same thing when I'm unsure of fit. It's all of the benefits of trying stuff on in the comfort of my own home hehe

I did look at their site on-line. Liked some of the things but they don't ship outside US - so I can't pre-order. And....to top it all off, the only flight that we could get before our cruise doesn't get us into FLL until after 8:00 at night.... Maybe if I got up early in the morning and went and got back to hotel and packed really quick..... ever hopeful....

I really appreciate all your suggestions and have fingers (and toes and eyes) crossed that I can get there before sailing.....

My DH tried to buy "summer clothing" in FLL in January. Nope. BIG "nope". As another poster suggested, check thrift stores. Also consignment shops, and ebay. Ebay shipping from the US can be expensive, but places like BHFO have a lower shipping rate. Make sure you know in advance how much the shipping from the US is, before you commit to buying. And remember the exchange rate :(

Maybe try Amazon and they have a good return policy 30 days. I am in the same position as you, have already had to buy new clothes. Also hoping to lose more weight before my December Caribbean cruise out of Miami. Here in the Arizona desert even some of our stores are moving summer out and bringing in the light weight winter clothes :(

Go to a TJ Maxx or Marshalls....some kind of store that sells LAST season's clothes! I'm betting you'll find some bargains!

I believe you're mistaken about what "last season" means to stores like TJ Maxx/Marshalls. It means instead of selling the 2017 style FOR THE CURRENT SEASON (eg right now - fall) they would sell something from 2016 or 2015. They're not selling bathing suits in October unless they have a small DEEP discount end-of-season rack. Discount stores aren't any better option than department stores when it comes to seasonality.

I think online shopping is going to be your best bet. Get styles now that are flexible when it comes to weight loss....Good luck!

LONG STORY SHORT....I have lost weight since last cruise and over the summer. Hoping to take a cruise out of FLL in November.

Went clothes shopping yesterday and everywhere is filled with winter clothing....nothing summer or cruise suitable in sight. Everything is light black or dark black;p and Winter weight/wool blends. Depressing looking stuff to say the least,

As I am still on the weight loss train (and hoping there's no derailment) I am looking for inexpensive clothing to tie me over should I cruise.

So...the question is.....does Wal-Mart, Target etc in FLL carry summer weight/look clothing given the fact it's FLORIDA weather instead of 2 feet of snow? If so, I could zip over to a local store the day before when I fly in. I've been to Florida several times during the fall and winter but never went shopping so no idea what could be available.

I'm still in the "fluffy" size range (plus sizes) but perhaps if anyone knows (or are out and about shopping) they could check and let me know.

I was in the same place last year. I found A LOT online @ JC Penny's. And they have great online sales on their clearance items. I got 6 pairs of shorts, a pencil skirt & a couple other items for less than $75. I also went in & went through their clearance racks a couple times a month. I found a lot of tank tops for $1 or $2.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was in the same place last year. I found A LOT online @ JC Penny's. And they have great online sales on their clearance items. I got 6 pairs of shorts, a pencil skirt & a couple other items for less than $75. I also went in & went through their clearance racks a couple times a month. I found a lot of tank tops for $1 or $2.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wish we had a JC Penny's ... I've found a few on-line sites but the cost of shipping and the duties are unreal... I'm not prepared to pay $75.00 for a blouse (on sale)....but I'm going to keep looking. I wonder if they would ship to the hotel I'm staying at the night before (as you have to pay for it before hand anyway??? if I made arrangements with the hotel that packages may be coming??). Once I'm there, I'm permitted to bring back $700 or $800 worth of items....

Wish we had a JC Penny's ... I've found a few on-line sites but the cost of shipping and the duties are unreal... I'm not prepared to pay $75.00 for a blouse (on sale)....but I'm going to keep looking. I wonder if they would ship to the hotel I'm staying at the night before (as you have to pay for it before hand anyway??? if I made arrangements with the hotel that packages may be coming??). Once I'm there, I'm permitted to bring back $700 or $800 worth of items....

I will be doing this with some Amazon items. Simply phone the hotel and ask for their policy especially how to address it.

Have you considered having alterations done to your current clothes?

Also look in the on-line sales sections of stores like Old Navy Canada. This is in the regular section http://oldnavy.gapcanada.ca/browse/product.do?cid=1064190&vid=8&pid=112064043

Going to look there tonight - for some reason I couldn't do it when I was on my phone....but hopefully when I'm on the actual laptop it will....... Thanks.

I second the recommendation for Old Navy. They have stylish, inexpensive clothing of all sizes, and their summer selection is currently on sale/clearance online. I just ordered a great maxi sundress (with adjustable straps! YAY!) for under $15. (Confession - I already own 5 of them in the same style but different colors/patterns because they're so great for cruises/every day beach life.) Happy shopping! :)

Just checked Wal-Mart one line...not much there at all (but maybe the US site has more options.). Is Bealles far from the cruise port???

There is a Beall's Outlet on SR 84, about 10 minutes from Port Everglades.

There is also a TJ Maxx on 17th Street, in the Harbor Shops plaza, as well as a Ross store on the opposite side of 17th Street.

Congrats on your weight loss. You might also check Stein Mart online. Not sure about the shipping charge for Canada tho. We live in Michigan and when we were down in Naples I bought a pair of slacks I really liked and when I got home went on line and bought another pair. Good luck.