Celebrity Cruises to Modernize All Cabins and Suites Across Fleet and Add New Sundeck

LauraS

As a former frequent Suite guest, I would want to know and see a lot more before this would entice me to book. Based on the (single) photo the pool/sundeck doesn't look very big and where is it going to go? Celebrity is once again following trends (NCL has The Haven, MSC has the Yacht Club, etc.) not setting them. There is a difference between being an innovator and an imitator.

Some information isn't correct.

It says that "Oceanview Café, “an international marketplace with globally influenced menus”, is also set to be introduced exclusively on [4 ships]" However, it already exists on those ships, e.g. https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/eat-and-drink/restaurants-and-cafes/oceanview-café

Some information isn't correct.

It says that "Oceanview Café, “an international marketplace with globally influenced menus”, is also set to be introduced exclusively on [4 ships]" However, it already exists on those ships, e.g. https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/eat-and-drink/restaurants-and-cafes/oceanview-café

I assumed that this is a new attempt to replace Sushi On Five nee whatever it was before...

I am just glad they are waiting until 2019, hoping that they put their time and energy meanwhile in getting the website to run reliably.

Wonder if this means the lawn will go and be replaced by the new sundeck.

I gather passengers have been spreading their towels on the lawn, making it look like ‘Butlins at Sea.’ (Reflection in August on Mediterranean cruises)

Oceanview Café, “an international marketplace with globally influenced menus”, is also set to be introduced exclusively on Celebrity Constellation, Celebrity Infinity, Celebrity Millennium and Celebrity Summit.

The change to layout to Ocean View Cafe on the Millenihum ships would certainly be acceptable, as it is so much easier to negotiate the Ocean View on the Solstice class ships.

The M class cabins and suites need a major overhaul. If the Ocean View Cafe is like the Solstice class ships, that would be great. The regular cabins could use the cabinets above the bed for additional storage as well as the major overhaul, including the bathrooms.

Good news. We are regular Celebrity cruisers and this August, rather then go on the Summit to Bermuda, will sail on Royal's Adventure of the Seas for a change of itinerary and a new experience. The Summit sky suites need work. We will be in a suite on the AOS- so I hope the accommodations are great!

It will be interesting to see where they place the new areas. The suite area would almost have to take over the existing Solstice deck. I can’t imagine they would get rid of the lawn, but it is a lot of under utilized real estate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Seems to be more superficiality from Celebrity.

As previously posted, I assume that more common space will be removed from "regular passengers" and assigned to suites?

Will Celebrity improve their food offerings and service levels to the quality of previous years - to the point that the many complaints of late will disappear?

To many fit and finish to do override declining product offering.

The change to layout to Ocean View Cafe on the Millenihum ships would certainly be acceptable, as it is so much easier to negotiate the Ocean View on the Solstice class ships.

Yes but they say they're installing exclusively on Millennium class. Even ignoring that they're already there, exclusively would mean that they are not the same as on Solstice class.

I like that Celebrity has committed to a refresh & updating of the ships. I wish I had more confidence that they actually know what they are doing.

One of the things I prefer about the M vs. S-class is that there is more usable storage on M. From these artists' renditions, it looks like a lot of that storage is going away. Elegant, maybe. But not terribly functional. For example, a nice lamp table between the bed and couch. Why not instead a bedside table with drawers like on the other side of the bed? Open book shelves above the desk? Like that makes sense in rough waters. No desk drawer(s) to hold chargers and wall warts when they are not being used? I hope they can find designers who actually have ever spent 2 weeks with 6-7 sea days aboard a transatlantic or similar trip.

Oh oh, dislike! (n)

When a new suite retreat sundeck is due to be rolled out on all ships, that means for sure that some of the public deck space will be removed... :(

I am sure the front sundecks will be transformed into that particular suite-only-deck, and let's see, maybe they also take the observation lounges in the front of the ship from the public passengers, and turn it into a suite lounge...

After the new extra-cost burger bar, and the charging for sushi, this is the next step into nickle and diming.

The standard "mother" cruise line RCI provides more value for money so...

Michael's Club will be renamed the Retreat...

And maybe that a new "Oceanview Cafe" will replace the Bistro on 5 Sushi on 5 experiments.

Perhaps someone did not know the name was already being used :rolleyes:

Oh oh, dislike! (n)

When a new suite retreat sundeck is due to be rolled out on all ships, that means for sure that some of the public deck space will be removed... :(

I am sure the front sundecks will be transformed into that particular suite-only-deck, and let's see, maybe they also take the observation lounges in the front of the ship from the public passengers, and turn it into a suite lounge...

After the new extra-cost burger bar, and the charging for sushi, this is the next step into nickle and diming.

The standard "mother" cruise line RCI provides more value for money so...

I don’t see this as a nickel and dime approach. They’re improving the overall suite experience to better compete with the Haven and Yacht Club type customers. I would imagine the Solstice deck is reworked and possibly remove the basketball courts at the front of the ship. Those always seem like wasted space to me, especially on a line that isn’t known for their kid-centric product.

We’re not suite people but I do understand the need to have a competitive product.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I like that Celebrity has committed to a refresh & updating of the ships. I wish I had more confidence that they actually know what they are doing.

One of the things I prefer about the M vs. S-class is that there is more usable storage on M. From these artists' renditions, it looks like a lot of that storage is going away. Elegant, maybe. But not terribly functional. For example, a nice lamp table between the bed and couch. Why not instead a bedside table with drawers like on the other side of the bed? Open book shelves above the desk? Like that makes sense in rough waters. No desk drawer(s) to hold chargers and wall warts when they are not being used? I hope they can find designers who actually have ever spent 2 weeks with 6-7 sea days aboard a transatlantic or similar trip.

Looks like some of the budget hotel bedrooms in the UK. Fine until you try to use them, but in the budget hotels you are only there one night so it does not matter if you have to leave most things in your case or on the floor. Also usually the doors fall off the new stuff quicker than the old, so won't be long before it looks tired again.

I don’t see this as a nickel and dime approach. They’re improving the overall suite experience to better compete with the Haven and Yacht Club type customers. I would imagine the Solstice deck is reworked and possibly remove the basketball courts at the front of the ship. Those always seem like wasted space to me, especially on a line that isn’t known for their kid-centric product.

We’re not suite people but I do understand the need to have a competitive product.

But I do:

I think just why rooms may be "wasted space", there's no reason to transform them into revenue centers.

Holland America Line also has those spaces that Celebrity would determine as "wasted" (like forward facing oceanview lounges, or sundecks), and a cruise becomes enjoyable when you just have relaxing spaces where no one cares if they are wasted or not.

Further Holland America also has a complimentary oceanview sauna and relaxation room without any extra cost, and many service aspects (like chocolate parades or finger food at the bars for the drinks) that might be "wasted" economically, but they are aspects to get me back onboard.

I also understand that Celebrity tries to upgrade the suite experience by installing new assets - but I the most popular public spaces, open for everyone, should not suffer from it, for example, the forward facing sun decks.

When you need to "buy" the permission for such an actual common thing like a forward facing lounge or sundeck, indeed it is nickle and diming.

To sum up, look what Holland AMerica does IN FAVOR of it's public guests:

-Chocolate Parade at the second formal night

-Small fingerfood items for free available at some bars for your drinks that you buy

-A destination guide for guests going ashore individually

-Dried fruit at the entrance/exit of the main dining room for free

-Public access to nearly all areas including lounges and sun decks with nice views, without harging for it

Yeah, also Holland America Line has extra spots just for suite guests (like the Neptune Lounge and extra menus for suite travellers), but it's not as obvious as Celebrity is doing and will do with the "Celebrity Revolution" program even more.

How does Celebrity nickle and dime?

-Charging for sushi items (and n some ships also for burgers) that used to be free --> AT OceanView those sushi stations are now replaced by lower fare pizza and pasta items...

-"Giving" extra-cost drinks into your hands during sailaway events without having the time to say "no"

-Soon removing public deck space in favor of suite guests, ju to create more and more money again ("Celebrity Revolution")

-"A taste of film experience" - surely a nice event, but just at extra-costs again

-Lowering public deck space at Lawn Club by adding expensive Cabanas

-Reducing food portions at Main DIning Room

And what about the empty space below the TV on the rendition - why isn't there storage drawers/counter space underneath the TV?

I agree M class has better storage then the S class. The designers should be required to live in both the M class & S class cabins for at least 2 weeks and experience how the storage functions on each.

But I do:

I think just why rooms may be "wasted space", there's no reason to transform them into revenue centers.

Holland America Line also has those spaces that Celebrity would determine as "wasted" (like forward facing oceanview lounges, or sundecks), and a cruise becomes enjoyable when you just have relaxing spaces where no one cares if they are wasted or not.

Further Holland America also has a complimentary oceanview sauna and relaxation room without any extra cost, and many service aspects (like chocolate parades or finger food at the bars for the drinks) that might be "wasted" economically, but they are aspects to get me back onboard.

I also understand that Celebrity tries to upgrade the suite experience by installing new assets - but I the most popular public spaces, open for everyone, should not suffer from it, for example, the forward facing sun decks.

When you need to "buy" the permission for such an actual common thing like a forward facing lounge or sundeck, indeed it is nickle and diming.

To sum up, look what Holland AMerica does IN FAVOR of it's public guests:

-Chocolate Parade at the second formal night

-Small fingerfood items for free available at some bars for your drinks that you buy

-A destination guide for guests going ashore individually

-Dried fruit at the entrance/exit of the main dining room for free

-Public access to nearly all areas including lounges and sun decks with nice views, without harging for it

Yeah, also Holland America Line has extra spots just for suite guests (like the Neptune Lounge and extra menus for suite travellers), but it's not as obvious as Celebrity is doing and will do with the "Celebrity Revolution" program even more.

How does Celebrity nickle and dime?

-Charging for sushi items (and n some ships also for burgers) that used to be free --> AT OceanView those sushi stations are now replaced by lower fare pizza and pasta items...

-"Giving" extra-cost drinks into your hands during sailaway events without having the time to say "no"

-Soon removing public deck space in favor of suite guests, ju to create more and more money again ("Celebrity Revolution")

-"A taste of film experience" - surely a nice event, but just at extra-costs again

-Lowering public deck space at Lawn Club by adding expensive Cabanas

-Reducing food portions at Main DIning Room

Add to the N & D list

Offers nothing at ports for customers to make their own way.

( It was one of the outstanding omissions for us, other lines have given maps, advice and pointed out worthwhile places to visit for guests making their own way in port)

Wonder if this means the lawn will go and be replaced by the new sundeck.

The lawn always seemed like a spectacularly bad idea to me. I always thought the the difficulties of maintaining a healthy lawn in a salt-air environment did not justify the modest wow factor. Talking with one of the greens keepers on Equinox a couple of months ago confirmed that it is a tough job.