Seattle Question...How far is Pike Market from Pier 91?

grak

Around two miles through a very trafficky and not pedestrian-friendly area for the most part.

There's a waterfront path through Myrtle Edwards Park that's a bit longer but more scenic; it would put you on Alaskan Way; you could climb up the bluff the the market just as you did from the Pier 66 terminal.

Yah.... Google Maps states it's an hour to cover the 3 miles on foot.

I did it last weekend with a 25 lbs carry-on backpack to rack up my Fitbit steps before the Eurodam cruise (actually started from the Convention Centre first). Didn't want to pay the $2.50 for public transit.

Hope you aren't planning to do a luggage drag through the market... the pedestrian traffic will be challenging.

As someone else mentioned, the proper name is Pike Place Market, and for whatever reason, locals are snooty about tourists getting the name right. Just be aware...I don't really care, but folks at the market may: don't forget the "Place", don't make it Pike's Place Market, etc. It's named Pike Place Market because it's at the foot of Pike Street, one of the twelve streets that follow the pattern "Jesus Christ Made Seattle Under Pressure" (two Js, two Cs, ... two Ps, Pike and Pine).

Oh for goodness sakes........it was a simple question. Excuse me! PIKE PLACE MARKET!

This isn’t bad.

Calling San Francisco anything but it’s full name or The City will get even more comments. Never call it Frisco!

The walk path is actually pretty spectacular on a sunny day and is essentially flat thanks to public elevators. While the walk along Elliott Avenue isn’t all that special (typical sidewalks, Starbucks midway), pedestrians should use the path through Myrtle Edwards Park, which is great - lovely views of Elliott Bay and the Olympic Mountains. It’s generally amenable to wheeled luggage. I believe in most mapping apps it’s signed as “Elliott Bay Trail”.

The distance door to door is roughly three miles, but that neglects using the shuttle to take you down the pier. The actual walking distance is around 2.4 miles - once you enter the port property it’s a short walk to the posted parking shuttle stop.

To access the trail from the market, either drop down to the waterfront/Alaskan Way via market elevators or walk along Western Avenue to Bell Street and the elevator/skybridge. Continue north on Alaskan Way to Broad St, and enter the park just past the sculptures in the fountain. You’ll literally be able to see the cruise ships from there; walk towards them.

The walk path is actually pretty spectacular on a sunny day and is essentially flat thanks to public elevators. While the walk along Elliott Avenue isn’t all that special (typical sidewalks, Starbucks midway), pedestrians should use the path through Myrtle Edwards Park, which is great - lovely views of Elliott Bay and the Olympic Mountains. It’s generally amenable to wheeled luggage. I believe in most mapping apps it’s signed as “Elliott Bay Trail”.

The distance door to door is roughly three miles, but that neglects using the shuttle to take you down the pier. The actual walking distance is around 2.4 miles - once you enter the port property it’s a short walk to the posted parking shuttle stop.

To access the trail from the market, either drop down to the waterfront/Alaskan Way via market elevators or walk along Western Avenue to Bell Street and the elevator/skybridge. Continue north on Alaskan Way to Broad St, and enter the park just past the sculptures in the fountain. You’ll literally be able to see the cruise ships from there; walk towards them.

Hi Vibe Guy,

Can you explain the shuttle, where to pick it up, where it goes and how much?

Thanks in advance..

The parking shuttle runs from the front door of Pier 91’s terminal building in a loop to the private car parking, a few blocks away. It is complimentary; the drivers are union stevedores and I’ve always found them friendly and helpful and completely bs-free - a side of Seattle I lament the disappearance of.

The pickup locations by the terminal door and in the remote parking lot are well-signed; just before entering/after leaving the lot, there’s an additional marked stop for passengers walking to the pier or using Metro bus. There’s a marked up photo here: Walk path from Pier91 to Whole Foods (and a liquor store, to my memory)

Walking down the pier is not discouraged per se (there are marked walkways) , but it *is* a busy terminal with cabs, shuttle buses, crowds of tourists who may not know where they’re going and commercial vehicles. I’ve done it both ways (when I needed a walk on a glorious day, and when I needed to be off my feet and boarding before someone got cut).

The pickup locations by the terminal door and in the remote parking lot are well-signed; just before entering/after leaving the lot, there’s an additional marked stop for passengers walking to the pier or using Metro bus. There’s a marked up photo here: Walk path from Pier91 to Whole Foods (and a liquor store, to my memory)

Your pickup/drop off location for the parking area is not correct, but it is close. The actual area during debarkation and embarkation is in Bus Slot A or B not right in front of the terminal building. Not a big difference but any stretch,but didn't want someone to get excited if their shuttle bus drove right by the front entrance. :D

Tom