Why I'll have to cancel a 4 night cruise that became a 20 night cruise for no cost

Stockjock

U91B.jpg

Awhile back, I booked an oversized balcony cabin on a 4 night cruise out of Barcelona for $383 on MSC Preziosa. The game plan was to fly to Barcelona, spend a week or so there, then do the 4 night on the back-end. It stopped at Cinque Terre, Rome and Corsica.

The cruise line changed the itinerary from a 4 night to a 21 day cruise, but instead it is now leaving Brazil, crossing the pond and stopping in the ports near Paris, London, Brugge, few stops in Portugal, Germany, Canary Islands, etc.

So out the door, tax, port everything, we're in it for under $500 pp, which is crazy cheap for 21 days. Usually, when this type of schedule change occurs, they cancel your reservation or ask you for more money. In this case, they simply left us in the same cabin at the same price.

But...

The timing isn't great in terms of the GF's available vacation time, as she can't handle nearly a month off from work in April.

Taking that much time off is tough for me too. I work for a big Wall Street firm and try to be there for my clients most of the time.

Flying into Brazil and out of Germany from San Diego is very expensive, with mostly less-than-ideal flight times available.

You need a visa to enter Brazil, plus there are crime issues and such.

I asked the cruise line if I could board in Europe and they said "sure". So we thought about boarding in Lisbon and that would make it about an 8 day cruise.

But...

Again, flights run around $1,400 pp, plus we just visited some of these places within the past 4-5 months.

Meanwhile...

I found a suite on a RCL cruise out of Shanghai for 8 nights on a newer ship for just over $100 per night. It visits Tokyo, Osaka, Mt. Fuji, Yokahama, etc. And that's actually very cheap for a suite guarantee.

The timing works out better Sept), especially for the GF. Plus, we figure RT airfare might be around $500 pp.

So it looks like we're going to China and Japan.

Still, I'll feel bad about cancelling a 21 day cruise that, for 2 people, nice ship, larger than normal balcony cabin is under $1,000 all-in. Nonetheless, guessing China and Japan will be interesting, and this will be my first suite.

U91B.jpg

Awhile back, I booked an oversized balcony cabin on a 4 night cruise out of Barcelona for $383 on MSC Preziosa. The game plan was to fly to Barcelona, spend a week or so there, then do the 4 night on the back-end. It stopped at Cinque Terre, Rome and Corsica.

The cruise line changed the itinerary from a 4 night to a 21 day cruise, but instead it is now leaving Brazil, crossing the pond and stopping in the ports near Paris, London, Brugge, few stops in Portugal, Germany, Canary Islands, etc.

So out the door, tax, port everything, we're in it for under $500 pp, which is crazy cheap for 21 days. Usually, when this type of schedule change occurs, they cancel your reservation or ask you for more money. In this case, they simply left us in the same cabin at the same price.

But...

The timing isn't great in terms of the GF's available vacation time, as she can't handle nearly a month off from work in April.

Taking that much time off is tough for me too. I work for a big Wall Street firm and try to be there for my clients most of the time.

Flying into Brazil and out of Germany from San Diego is very expensive, with mostly less-than-ideal flight times available.

You need a visa to enter Brazil, plus there are crime issues and such.

I asked the cruise line if I could board in Europe and they said "sure". So we thought about boarding in Lisbon and that would make it about an 8 day cruise.

But...

Again, flights run around $1,400 pp, plus we just visited some of these places within the past 4-5 months.

Meanwhile...

I found a suite on a RCL cruise out of Shanghai for 8 nights on a newer ship for just over $100 per night. It visits Tokyo, Osaka, Mt. Fuji, Yokahama, etc. And that's actually very cheap for a suite guarantee.

The timing works out better Sept), especially for the GF. Plus, we figure RT airfare might be around $500 pp.

So it looks like we're going to China and Japan.

Still, I'll feel bad about cancelling a 21 day cruise that, for 2 people, nice ship, larger than normal balcony cabin is under $1,000 all-in. Nonetheless, guessing China and Japan will be interesting, and this will be my first suite.

Looks like a once in a lifetime experience, I’d go for it.

Sometimes not taking the easy route out pays off big dividends [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I priced out that same itinerary. The airfare is ridiculous, and makes it a hard sell no matter how nice a deal you get on the cruise itself. I'm also from San Diego.

Very true. Again, they said I could board in Europe, but still pricey, poor timetables, and you also have to think "what if" you fly into let's say Lisbon, but they moved someone into your cabin because it was vacant for almost 2 weeks.

Think we'll just stick with the China/Japan cruise, but I thought I'd hit the jackpot when I learned that I'd scored a 21 day cruise for $380 pp.

Very true. Again, they said I could board in Europe, but still pricey, poor timetables, and you also have to think "what if" you fly into let's say Lisbon, but they moved someone into your cabin because it was vacant for almost 2 weeks.

Think we'll just stick with the China/Japan cruise, but I thought I'd hit the jackpot when I learned that I'd scored a 21 day cruise for $380 pp.

Can’t imagine how frustrating this must be to pass up. It’s still nice that they gave you the option, but very few people can get off work for 21 days. If they can do without you for 3 weeks, they can do without you [emoji12].

But, if you and your companion could get the time off, it might be worth your while to invest some effort in exploring airfare more carefully. If you can find a good rate to Mexico City, there are fantastic rates to almost anywhere in the Americas from there, but they don’t show up when your point of origin is elsewhere. You could also open a credit card(s) with the right airline(s) meet their requirements to get the miles, then cancel. Or just hold on to both bookings until cancellation fees apply and keep looking as you have.

Can’t imagine how frustrating this must be to pass up. It’s still nice that they gave you the option, but very few people can get off work for 21 days. If they can do without you for 3 weeks, they can do without you [emoji12].

But, if you and your companion could get the time off, it might be worth your while to invest some effort in exploring airfare more carefully. If you can find a good rate to Mexico City, there are fantastic rates to almost anywhere in the Americas from there, but they don’t show up when your point of origin is elsewhere. You could also open a credit card(s) with the right airline(s) meet their requirements to get the miles, then cancel. Or just hold on to both bookings until cancellation fees apply and keep looking as you have.

And yeah the Visa thing with Brazil is a PITA. Unless you have a Brazilian consulate nearby your home, I’d let it go as it’s tough to get right the first time.

If they can do without you for 3 weeks, they can do without you [emoji12].

Well if the quality of your work is at a high level, they want you to stay.. If you get the opportunity to do what you want and travel when you want, then you might be staying at your emplyer.

Back in 2015 we spent 25nts away from home in jan-feb. My employer helped me to get more free time off then I normaly would have, because they wanted me to stay with the company. I left that company a couple of months later and if I wanted to, I could go back there when ever I want and they would employ me again.

Well if the quality of your work is at a high level, they want you to stay.. If you get the opportunity to do what you want and travel when you want, then you might be staying at your emplyer.

Back in 2015 we spent 25nts away from home in jan-feb. My employer helped me to get more free time off then I normaly would have, because they wanted me to stay with the company. I left that company a couple of months later and if I wanted to, I could go back there when ever I want and they would employ me again.

That’s a great story, I guess. It’s odd that you’re such a wonderful worker, but your 3+ week absence had no impact on your employer.

I’ve been on both sides of this issue, and yes I try to go more out of my way for my better workers. But the reality of it is that if you go that far out of your way for one, you have to do it for all. If you don’t and you have not prepared exceptional documentation on the performance front for all employees, any employee can say you are favoring one vs the other for “bad” reasons.

And you could be an exceptional worker and just have a boss that’s an ass or an HR group that follows its rules to the letter

But despite the naïveté in the premise that in saying: “If your a quality worker you can come and go as you please” you made my point... They did without you for three weeks, and they are doing without you now.

Edited by nealstuber

Is it possible to book air travel through the cruise line? I have had good luck with airfare with another cruise line when dealing with one-way tickets.

I asked them and they said no.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk