car service - san diego airport to cruise port

michmike2

4 of us will be in San Diego in March for a few days prior to 3/4 departure on Oosterdam. Will be renting a car from the airport and then returning it there the morning of the 4th and will need to get from the airport to the cruise port. wives tend to be charter members of the bring it all club, so will likely have at least 6 suitcases and a backpack or two. Can anyone recommend a car service that would have a van or large suv to take us to the port? thanks in advance. I guess if you are so inclined, if there are things other than the zoo that we should see, we're open to suggestions, as our first time in San Diego.

Lots to day and see in San Diego.

Old Town

USS Midway

Maritime Museum

Coronado, including The Hotel

Any of the museums, animal parks etc

Check to see if the car rental shuttles stop at the cruiseport. They used to but the car rental area has changed recently.

As to things to do in San Diego, we only have a day and a half next week before boarding the Oosterdam and have chosen a "Flagship Cruise" covering both ends of the bay. Got a deal from Groupon on it. The other thing we are doing on our whole day is getting on the Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour, riding the whole route for 2 hrs. then choosing one or two places to explore more. Would like to eat in Little Italy and see Old Town, both of which are HOHO stops. Try their website. I envy you having more time! Good luck!

We go to SD a lot and usually stay at the Embassy suites or Hilton Gas Lamp. I agree, drop everybody and luggage at the pier, return the car and Uber back to the pier.

A fun way to spend a few hours is go on the "Brothels, Bites, and Booze" walking tour of the Gas Lamp. You can find it on a www search.

You can drop all the bags and people off at the pier, then return the car, and taxi one or two people to the pier for about $12. Much simpler.

Agree - good option.

I would check with the car rental location (directly) though, as in the past (2-3 years ago) they dropped us off at the pier in the car we rented at no charge (it was Hertz).

Agree - good option.

I would check with the car rental location (directly) though, as in the past (2-3 years ago) they dropped us off at the pier in the car we rented at no charge (it was Hertz).

I am guessing all that's changed with the opening of the new rental car center that's on the other side of the airport.

• 2 weeks later...

All the major car rental companies have moved into the new airport rental car facility at the east end of the runway. If picking up a car at the airport, you will have to take the shuttle from the airport terminal to this facility to pick up your car, which you may want to do while the rest of your party waits for luggage, then return and pick them up at the curb. When you return the car, you would do best to drop them and the luggage off at the pier, then return the car and either Uber or cab from the rental car facility...it is only about a mile.

All the major car rental companies have moved into the new airport rental car facility at the east end of the runway. If picking up a car at the airport, you will have to take the shuttle from the airport terminal to this facility to pick up your car, which you may want to do while the rest of your party waits for luggage, then return and pick them up at the curb. When you return the car, you would do best to drop them and the luggage off at the pier, then return the car and either Uber or cab from the rental car facility...it is only about a mile.

Exactly what I would do. We have flown in/out of SAN about 4-5 times since they opened the new rental car center (it really is pretty sweet) and I have not seen a shuttle bus leaving there that goes any place other than the airport and pay attention to which terminal it is going. However, it shouldn't be an issue getting a taxi or UBER to take you from there to the pier.

We did the USS Midway for the first time this summer and it was well worth it. We spent about three hours and still didn't see it all. We have done a couple of Horn Blower bay cruises and they are very cool. We just did the Flag Ship July 4th fireworks cruise, which was awesome. Two years ago we chartered one to scatter our mom's ashes outside the bay and it was a great send off.

Lots to day and see in San Diego.

Old Town

USS Midway

Maritime Museum

Coronado, including The Hotel

Any of the museums, animal parks etc

I love the Penguin Encounter at Sea World. When we lived in southern CA I used to spend hours there watching the penguins.