Tauranga

I lived there for 12 years; lovely place - but if you're looking for culture, its only a short one hour drive across to Rotorua which is the tourism hotspot for Maori culture. There are some amazing places there and I'm sure you would find something that suits you:)

https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/Attractions-g255114-Activities-Tauranga_Bay_of_Plenty_Region_North_Island.html

You can have a lovely day at Tauranga without going far. We walked around Mt Mauranga base, around MM township and beach, then caught local bus to Tauranga, where I did the best shop in my whole trip of NZ.

Tauranga itself is mainly a commercial centre, all closed on ta weekend. Best shopping is the Mount.

Very pleasant drive, recommend hiring a car and taking your time.

I used Rite Price Car Rentals early this year and they were great. Shuttle at the wharf to take you the short distance to their office, and then to return you to the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife and granddaughter were on Diamond Princess last year Syd-NZ. They did a tour from Tauranga to Rotorua. The company was Hinterland Tours, they said it was great, gets great reviews from cruisers.;)

Tauranga itself is mainly a commercial centre, all closed on ta weekend. Best shopping is the Mount.

I thought Mount Mauranga was great to browse for tourist shopping, but Tauranga was great for general shopping at good prices, so we bought lots.

However, we have visited Rotorua several times previously and agree that it is a must see from this port.

on a princess cruise stopping in Tauranga. Suggestions for what to do please. Not sure we are interested in the hobbit set.

We like to first walk into the town, have a coffee and look around. Most of the cafes have free Wifi.

Then a walk around the base of Mt Maunganui, to the top if you are feeling fit!!

Last cruise we then visited the Hot Spring Pools for a swim.

https://mounthotpools.co.nz/

It is at the base of the Mt, then walked back to the ship.

Its a lovely little town and everything is walkable.

Just to add, the ship docks right in front of Mt Maunganui, not Tauranga, which is the main town but a drive away.

Hi

As others have said Mt Maunganui is a lovely little town for an easy walk around the shops or the beachfront for a couple of hours.

I actually visited Hobbiton last year whilst cruising on Explorer of the Seas. The shore excursion was pretty expensive and I’m not really a Lord of the Rings Fan so I was a bit reluctant to do the visit, however my sister in law really wanted to as she loves the movies.

I actully really enjoyed it and was amazed at the attention to detail in fitting out the Hobbit village. We did the shore excursion in the morning and still had time to wander around town in the afternoon. It was one of the most enjoyable excursions I did on that cruise...another good one was the helicopter joyride at Bay of Islands (if you are heading there too), which was a spur of the moment decision when we went ashore.

Enjoy your trip whatever you decide to do!

Regards

Melissa

on a princess cruise stopping in Tauranga. Suggestions for what to do please. Not sure we are interested in the hobbit set.

buses - pretty easy to get around...

https://www.baybus.co.nz/tauranga-western-bay/tauranga-urban/

not all that much in the CBD - except that we got to The Warehouse for a bit of spending - though make sure you get the timetable, as some of these buses are a bit of a wait between stops.

On a previous cruise we hired a car and drove to Rotorua. It was a beautiful drive and Rotorua was a great place to visit.

Doing it again in December.

We have done that. In my opinion, that is the best thing to do in Tauranga.:)On one cruise we went into the town of Tauranga by bus. Frankly, there wasn't anything particular to see or do.

• 2 months later...

Tauranga or should I say Mt Maunganui, beaut spot to walk around, looking forward to being back there in a few weeks, can anybody recommend at good place for fish and chips. On our last trip to NZ our last port was picton, and had some really nice fish and chips to some local cider, very nice.

Cheers Don

Tauranga or should I say Mt Maunganui, beaut spot to walk around, looking forward to being back there in a few weeks, can anybody recommend at good place for fish and chips. On our last trip to NZ our last port was picton, and had some really nice fish and chips to some local cider, very nice.

Cheers Don

Take the shuttle bus over to Tauranga, walk North along the park edge to the end, just a bit further you will see a blue Fish Shed. Best seafood available. Have your fish like the locals do with a couple of fried eggs sitting on top to dip your chips in.

Very reasonably priced and served on a big white platter covered in plenty of white paper.

We will be going back there in November this year.

Take the shuttle bus over to Tauranga, walk North along the park edge to the end, just a bit further you will see a blue Fish Shed. Best seafood available. Have your fish like the locals do with a couple of fried eggs sitting on top to dip your chips in.

Very reasonably priced and served on a big white platter covered in plenty of white paper.

We will be going back there in November this year.

Can't beat a good local fish and chips recommendation.

Dipping your chips in fried egg, is that an English custom or unique to NZ?

If you're in Tauranga on a Sunday and are interested in miniature railways (the ones you can ride on) then head over to Memorial Park where local engineering enthusiasts have set up an amazing miniature railway complex. It only operates on Sundays though.

Can't beat a good local fish and chips recommendation.

Dipping your chips in fried egg, is that an English custom or unique to NZ?

It certainly wasn't an NZ custom when I lived there. I've never heard of that before. Must be a speciality of that fish and chip shop.

Has anyone done both Rotorua and Hobbiton in one excursion? We're in port from 7 am - 4 pm, so we probably only have about 7 hours.

We haven't, we did each separately on two different cruises. Rotorua on a 'ship' excursion & then Hobbiton with a private operator, each time from Tauranga.

That said, I have seen a combo tour offered, so it is possible but maybe a bit rushed with a bit of travel in between BUT if you are only going to be there once & you want to do both, then that would be the way to go.

It certainly wasn't an NZ custom when I lived there. I've never heard of that before. Must be a speciality of that fish and chip shop.

It's popular JJJ, when the customers are continuous, which is pretty usual, they have one woman doing nothing but frying eggs on a hotplate. As I've found out from fish pies, eggs , potato, and fish are a combination made in paradise.;p

It's popular JJJ, when the customers are continuous, which is pretty usual, they have one woman doing nothing but frying eggs on a hotplate. As I've found out from fish pies, eggs , potato, and fish are a combination made in paradise.;p

Eggs and potato - yes

Potato and fish - yes

Eggs and fish - not for me, thanks, other than an egg wash to stick the panko crumbs on.