It's addictive- first time cruiser is hooked

Victory!

It's not like I wasn't warned, I was, I just didn't know it would be this bad. I returned 8 days ago and I have thought about my trip everyday!

A short 3 day on the Carnival Liberty was my way of sticking my toe into the cruising waters. Day 1 was tough, rough seas and rocking to and fro most of the night. The next day was fine, calm waters for the rest of the trip.

I am frantically searching for a bargain so I can book my next cruise!!! Suggestions are welcome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the addiction!

I suggest you watch the Carnival and RC forums, many times CC members post about good deals.

RC: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

Carnival: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

I wasn't sure people shared info about deals, thank you!! I will keep an eye out.

That is wonderful news.

I cruised at a young age but the first cruise with my wife and our children was a short cruise combined with time at Disney on what was the Big Red Boat. We loved it so much we began cruising each succeeding year and as they say the rest is history.

Keith

Welcome to the club! I don't think that there is a cure or a 12 step program, but then I don't want to be cured (although I could stop any time I wanted, really). Trying to figure out the nuances of cruise pricing is like trying to figure out the Street. I have found that Carnival will generally start their cruises low and raise the prices as the cruise gets closer plus their Early Saver program make it a good deal (especially if we can book with a reduced deposit). Right now we book our cruises as far in advance as we can and then pay a little each month until it's paid off. Another strategy that I've seen used is to wait until as close to when you want to cruise as you can and try to snag a last minute deal, usually within 30 days of sailing. Of course with this strategy you'll have to be happy with the cabin categories that remain. Good luck!

Now that the sampler is done and you've gotten your feet wet, time to look at a 7-night cruise.

That's one thing people always said and they are right- the feel of a 7 day cruise is much different than the shorter ones. We took a 2 day and 2 4 day cruises before our first 7 day and it was much better (especially the sea days).

I understand! We got back Sept 15 and I ended up booking our next cruise Sept 19. The next cruise isn’t until March so we are waiting a bit. We are on NCL and the free at sea it seriously too good of a deal. I’m a beach bum, but first cruise was in Europe so we are going to try the Caribbean this time to see how I like it compared to planting my butt in the sand at a hotel/condo.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's one thing people always said and they are right- the feel of a 7 day cruise is much different than the shorter ones. We took a 2 day and 2 4 day cruises before our first 7 day and it was much better (especially the sea days).

The shorter 3 - 4 day cruises typically tend to be party type cruises with younger demographics and often the ships are the older and smaller ones in the fleet. IMO there is really no comparison between those and the more traditional 7-night cruises. I also think cruises longer than the 7-nights tend to have a nicer cruise feel as well.

Use cruise.com or the app cruise finder. Off season is less expensive, especially when children are in school. Do try all the cruise lines and experiment with various lengths and cruise ports. I also like to extend a cruise vacation at one or both ports. In Alaska, we stayed in Vancouver and longer in Seward.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My advice is get your own flight. Be in control of your date to get to the port city ( the day before is best ) and what the layover times are. Also don't cut it too close to take off when you get back in from the cruise. The less stress the better in this area. Have a great 2nd cruise. Your one of us now!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Royal Caribbean is doing their WOW sail through Oct. 22.

Really sorry I missed this. It’s almost a month since my cruise ended. I don’t think a day goes by where I don’t find myself longing to be back on the ship.

I have one booked at all times. I’m either on one, actively searching for one, or counting the days. 340 days till my next one. I’ve gone twice this year. Next one is 15 nights plus play time in San Diego. I have to save my resources for that one!

Sent from my iPad using Forums