Sip and sail Nightmare

ALFLAFA

My wife and I signed up for the Sip and sail in August of 2016 for a The Princess Ruby cruise on Dec 9 2017 for our anniversary cruise . My wife check our reservation and Notice that the drink package has been removed. We checked our confirmation email and it’s crystal clear that is what we purchased. I called both our TA and Princess and they basically have zero answers and Claim they changed the promotion at our TA request which she not only denied but there is no paper trail that says that we wanted to change the promotion . Bottom line we’re out over $440 dollars due to the difference between the two promotions . Princess won’t really deal with me because I went through a TA which leads me to the conclusion that I need to book direct with the cruise line in case I have a problem it won’t be ping pong match back and forth . My question is who do I put the hammer down on the TA or Princess that I have a contractual agreement with and a recipient.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife and I signed up for the Sip and sail in August of 2016 for a The Princess Ruby cruise on Dec 9 2017 for our anniversary cruise . My wife check our reservation and Notice that the drink package has been removed. We checked our confirmation email and it’s crystal clear that is what we purchased. I called both our TA and Princess and they basically have zero answers and Claim they changed the promotion at our TA request which she not only denied but there is no paper trail that says that we wanted to change the promotion . Bottom line we’re out over $440 dollars due to the difference between the two promotions . Princess won’t really deal with me because I went through a TA which leads me to the conclusion that I need to book direct with the cruise line in case I have a problem it won’t be ping pong match back and forth . My question is who do I put the hammer down on the TA or Princess that I have a contractual agreement with and a recipient.

That sucks and is why I book direct not much recourse good luck.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Looks like something your TA needs to work out. When you made final payment did it include the package? Start keeping records of all conversations and emails with everybody you have contact with. Good Luck

The final payment was just charged to our credit card . ( lessoned learned) however no correspondence from us we wanted to change the promotion and eat $440.00 dollars

I understand the disappointment. Your TA should have been on top of your situation.

Hard lesson to learn I enjoy giving a TA the Business but after today’s phone calls I must say I feel I need to change direction and book direct with the Cruise Line .

Hard lesson to learn I enjoy giving a TA the Business but after today’s phone calls I must say I feel I need to change direction and book direct with the Cruise Line .

Time to lean on the agent. Give her copies of your emails. Otherwise, I would switch agents

There are notes kept on your booking every time something is added, changed, etc by Princess in their log. Have your TA set up a 3 way call and ask Princess to look at the notes and see when the promotion was changed. If you show a booking made with them and they do not have changes in their notes then it would be their fault and customer relations should be called in to correct the problem. If you TA changed a promotion on you then he/she should have to answer.

Did you refare the cruise or upgrade at some point? If not, obviously someone made a mistake.

What a nightmare!! I constantly look at our bookings on Princess. In fact out Sip N Sail did not show up on two bookings, but it was on my confirmation so I made sure it was addressed as soon as I noticed, it took a call to Princess and I was told it's there, but not visible to me (for some reason). They (Princess) provided a document that stated we had it.

While I enjoy the MINIMAL OBC a TA can provide, I do prefer booking direct with Princess so they can assist me immediately when I have a concern.

Difficult lesson to learn, but hopefully you can get the TA to do a call with you and Princess to find out WHEN the change was made, by who, etc.

Good luck and if you end up with good news, please let us know,

I would be absolutely hammering the TA about this. You state that you have written proof of what you paid for and that should be the end of it. Tell them to provide evidence of why the booking was changed.

I could say that the TA stuffed up somewhere along the line but I don't know all of the facts. Any decent travel agent would fix this, and even take a hit to their commission if that's what it takes (mine did once). If your TA is close I wouldn't be doing the phone stuff, I would present at her office.

Thank you all for your input we have been on over 35 cruises and been very blessed not to have any huge problems. We do have all the emails and correspondence so I feel confident in our stance but little shocked that between my phone calls today with our TA and Princess this is Not resolved. I own a business with 60 employees and to business in 7 states and understand we’re not infallible but when we screw up we take care of it pronto especially when the paper trail is so clear .

Edited by ALFLAFA

This prompted me to go take a look at a booking I did with a TA with the sip and sail promotion. This is my first time using a TA - I always just book direct. The offer was too good to pass up for this, though - free gratuities, sip n sail for first two passengers and soda and more for third, plus the fare was $200 less than Princess.

Anyways, here's the weirdness I am seeing on my booking! First off, we all know the sip n sail has changed to premier beverage package. Well, on my booking under onboard reservations it lists All Inclusive Beverage Package. I have never heard it be called that before? It also has this listed for both myself and my daughter (who is a child??) My son (also a child) as the third person correctly has the unlimited soda and more package listed. So at least the promotion is showing on mine, just under a weird name and given to a kid?????

This prompted me to go take a look at a booking I did with a TA with the sip and sail promotion. This is my first time using a TA - I always just book direct. The offer was too good to pass up for this, though - free gratuities, sip n sail for first two passengers and soda and more for third, plus the fare was $200 less than Princess.

Anyways, here's the weirdness I am seeing on my booking! First off, we all know the sip n sail has changed to premier beverage package. Well, on my booking under onboard reservations it lists All Inclusive Beverage Package. I have never heard it be called that before? It also has this listed for both myself and my daughter (who is a child??) My son (also a child) as the third person correctly has the unlimited soda and more package listed. So at least the promotion is showing on mine, just under a weird name and given to a kid?????

The Premium Beverage Package replaced the All Inclusive Beverage Package a few months ago. Every that has the AIBP booked has been converted to the PBP. The Sip and Sail promo included the AIBP for the first two passengers and the unlimited soda and more for the third and fourth passengers. Don't know if your daughter drinks coffee, tea, energy drinks or bottled water but with the PBP but she will be eligible for these as well as sodas and mocktails.

The Premium Beverage Package replaced the All Inclusive Beverage Package a few months ago. Every that has the AIBP booked has been converted to the PBP. The Sip and Sail promo included the AIBP for the first two passengers and the unlimited soda and more for the third and fourth passengers. Don't know if your daughter drinks coffee, tea, energy drinks or bottled water but with the PBP but she will be eligible for these as well as sodas and mocktails.

What I found odd is that another booking that originally had the sip n sail promotion now has "Premium Beverage Package" listed rather than the All Inclusive (they actually dropped the original onboard reservation and added in the new one - maybe that is what happened to yours and they just neglected to add the new package back on?). However, this sailing STILL has the All Inclusive Package listed, even though it no longer exists. Plus, I was under the impression that the Premium Beverage Package could NOT be used for children???

I would be absolutely hammering the TA about this. You state that you have written proof of what you paid for and that should be the end of it. Tell them to provide evidence of why the booking was changed.

I could say that the TA stuffed up somewhere along the line but I don't know all of the facts. Any decent travel agent would fix this, and even take a hit to their commission if that's what it takes (mine did once). If your TA is close I wouldn't be doing the phone stuff, I would present at her office.

I’m the wife of ALFALFA, I talked to Princess and they said it was changed at final payment but we did not tell them to change it so they told me I had to talk to our TA and she will let us know what we have to pay to get the sip and sail back.

We were told by the TA what the final payment was and we agreed on that. Just found out it was $200.00 less then what was agreed upon so we will pay the $200.00

Plus they took a 150.00 OBC off too [emoji51][emoji35]

We have been with this TA for 6 years she has been great till the last cruise we went on and this but we booked this Aug 2016

I say keep the pressure on the TA until you get back what you want.

That’s the Plan but so far it’s been like pushing string . TA claims they have been on the phone for hours but no resolve yet. Makes no sense to me seems to be pretty cut and dry .

Yes, keep up the pressure.

Aren't most TA's working under some kind of larger agency, where one can claim a dispute....

Do you have any kind of email/text/phone message records from that final payment?

Your Credit Card might also be some leverage.

If you let the TA know that you will pay what was actually agreed to, and in written documents, (including the OBC, if it was valid) or you will pursue this further with xxxxxx.travel... or your credit card. That might be what it takes to turn things around.

DO NOT authorize any further ($200.00) payment at this time. Not until Princess shows that all of these perks have been made right.

Make sure that this situation today is documented on computer, by text, record your end of the phone call, or in some other way. Have the Princess rep you are working with to document your requests/concerns, in writing.

If you authorize this today, without immediate results... this gives the TA room to do any other further 'changes or adjustments' that might cover their-selves, and claim that this was 'authorized by you'.

As long as your concerns have been raised and documented NOW, immediately upon your becoming aware... this can be ironed out after your cruise. This can probably be worked out with some kind of refund/reparation once you are back home. If you do not get the Beverage Package honored while onboard... Just document, document, document... every single drink.. every charge.

One time we had a slight issue with a transaction onshore, while on a cruise.

We called right away, but were told that they couldn't address it until the charge showed up on their records... Which, of course, the vendor did not run the charge until much later when we were out to sea. Hard to deal with something like that when one is out to sea on a cruise!(of course, they know this)

Edited by Wishing on a star

OHHHH, I am deleting and changing this post, because I see that you are not sailing for over a month yet.

Yes, your agency, all the way up to the top... And your credit card company...

Get all your documentation and fax to everyone.

Insist that if they claim this booking were changed, at your request, that they provide some kind of documentation.

Shouldn't they have added some notes/documentation to show 'customer request'.

How did you actually make/transact your final payment?

Did you just pull up the booking on computer, or did one of you speak to your agent that day?

Edited by Wishing on a star

Please clarify what the overall changes were, between original and current booking ? Was your original booking under Sip & Sail promotion ?

3-for-Free followed Sip & Sail so you should have seen other changes to the booking. Unless Sip & Sail was changed to take OBC instead of Beverage package in error.

We re-fared, via TA, to 3-for-free and gave up sip & sail. The new booking showed (1) a lower cruise price; (2) included Gratuities; (3) extra OBC. As it happens we can purchase Beverage Package and still save under 3-for-free.

Also our TA sent us a new confirmation and asked us to confirm the re-fare.