Finger Lickin' Good. NOT!

Sascol

While this is not aimed at everyone, it is aimed at quite a few. You know who you are. Please engage in a little buffet etiquette by NOT LICKING YOUR FINGERS prior to handling serving utenseils.

Yesterday I was waiting in line in the windjammer to load up a taco when the woman in front of me started snacking on whatever she had on her plate already. She got food on her fingers and proceeded to lick each one to clean them off. At this point she then grabbed the taco utensils and again licked her nasty fingers when she got sour cream on them.

As she left I flagged down an attendant so they could change the utensils.

I suspect this happens at every station every day but to witness it is another thing.

Please folks, use a little common sense.

And those same type of people most likely don't wash their hands after using and before leaving the restrooms! [emoji35]

The worse one I have ever witnessed. A gentleman picked up the serving spoon, tasted the food & put it back into the dish.

[emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]. I think I will need to bring my gloves to the windjammer....

Cindy

Slobs. I've seen it on every. single. cruise.

It always amazed me that someone in the middle of a 10,000 calorie a day cruise can't just hang on that extra 45 seconds to get back to the table before shoveling that french fry in their mouth.

People can be really disgusting, plain and simple. You see people complain about kids on this forum, but we have seen more adults doing gross things at the WJ than kids. I saw one little boy making his own sundae, carefully making sure not to touch anything with his fingers. He got to the whipped cream, picked up the spoon, tried to shake it off the spoon into his bowl and it just would not budge. Grandma finally noticed he was having issues, came over and took the spoon from him and proceeded to use her finger to scrape the whipped cream off the spoon, into his bowl. She then took the serving spoon and stuck it back into the bowl of whipped cream.:eek: The little boy look at her in horror, but said nothing. I had one of the attendants pull the bowl of whipped cream.

People can be really disgusting, plain and simple. You see people complain about kids on this forum, but we have seen more adults doing gross things at the WJ than kids. I saw one little boy making his own sundae, carefully making sure not to touch anything with his fingers. He got to the whipped cream, picked up the spoon, tried to shake it off the spoon into his bowl and it just would not budge. Grandma finally noticed he was having issues, came over and took the spoon from him and proceeded to use her finger to scrape the whipped cream off the spoon, into his bowl. She then took the serving spoon and stuck it back into the bowl of whipped cream.:eek: The little boy look at her in horror, but said nothing. I had one of the attendants pull the bowl of whipped cream.

...and that's what they observed from their parents and the cycle continues! Following by example.

OMG both those accounts are disgusting. I can't believe how gross and inconsiderate some people are. OP I'm glad you said something to the attendant.

I won't argue, but I can see people who shut their brains off on vacation (like me) not realizing this is dumb, but to taste from the utensil. Every time this subject comes up I think back to a lady on Jewel in 2014, getting a hot dog bun. She picked up each one, examined it thoroughly, put it back and then picked the one she wanted. I so wanted to stop her and ask what made that one one special. I've seen other examples, but this one mystified me.

Its gross it happens every cruise I am sure. seen people ues their fingers to separate the pizza in the windjammer instead of the handle or tongs

Have you ever tried separating pizza slices with tongs? You might have to shake the HE11 out of one piece to get the other to drop. I blame RC for not giving a useable product. My favorite has always been trying to get one slice of a cheese slice off the top of a stack of 100 slices using tongs that a person could use to throw logs on a fire place. It just can't be done. I developed this technique that is sanitary, but if anyone sees me I have to explain.

I get a new clean fork from the wrapped utensil area, put the fork under the first cheese slice and put my thumb on the top slice, the one I am going to eat. That way the only thing touching the cheese is a supposedly clean fork. Certainly cleaner than the provided tongs.

PS - I remember my technique for badly cut windjammer pizza. I pull on the piece with my hands that I am going to eat, and use the utensil to hold the rest of the pizza in place.

Edited by BillOh
Added a PS

Speaking of well behaved kids in the windjammer, I was having dinner there on Jewel one night and they had BBQ ribs. They were excellent by the way. This kid in front of me was doing his best to get a rack of ribs from the tray, but they were so tender, every bone he picked up the meat slid off into the tray. He de-boned an entire tray of ribs, gave up and walked away. He didn't do anything unsanitary, but didn't get any ribs. I grabbed a few pieces that he deboned, it was one of the best meals I've had in a WJ.

And that’s why we go to the dinning room for lunch.

make (someone) learn or remember something by constant repetition.

Dinning - "the doctrine that has been dinned into all our heads"

They have a special room for that? They service lunch there? ;)

...and that's what they observed from their parents and the cycle continues! Following by example.

Reread my post, little boy touched nothing with his fingers, Grandma used hers for whipped cream. Maybe the cycle stopped and he is following the lead of his parents and not the gross habits of Grandma.

Slobs. I've seen it on every. single. cruise.

It always amazed me that someone in the middle of a 10,000 calorie a day cruise can't just hang on that extra 45 seconds to get back to the table before shoveling that french fry in their mouth.

I take it you're not diabetic. On a cruise I sometimes don't eat regularly like I do at home and occasionally will start to have a low blood sugar episode if it's been too long between meals. So yes, if I'm having that I will most definitely pop something into my mouth immediately when I get to the buffet. It wouldn't be something that I'd have to lick my fingers with though. But a few grapes or a cookie, to get my blood sugar to start going back up. Sorry if that would bother you.

And that’s why we go to the dinning room for lunch.

And you don't think anything goes on in the galley that would be gross like someone liking their fingers?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I tried to quote the person who mentioned the "gentleman" (I wouldn't call him that but the PP did) tasting something from a serving spoon and putting the spoon back into the dish but it would only let me quote two...not three.

I've never seen an adult do it, but when I worked at a restaurant a customer came up to me to let me know a young boy, maybe 8 or so, had just tasted something off the buffet and then put the spoon back into the dish. I quickly grabbed the dish from the buffet and brought a new one, and serving spoon, out. I can't even imagine an adult thinking that was okay to do. Wow.

While this is not aimed at everyone, it is aimed at quite a few. You know who you are. Please engage in a little buffet etiquette by NOT LICKING YOUR FINGERS prior to handling serving utenseils.

Yesterday I was waiting in line in the windjammer to load up a taco when the woman in front of me started snacking on whatever she had on her plate already. She got food on her fingers and proceeded to lick each one to clean them off. At this point she then grabbed the taco utensils and again licked her nasty fingers when she got sour cream on them.

As she left I flagged down an attendant so they could change the utensils.

I suspect this happens at every station every day but to witness it is another thing.

Please folks, use a little common sense.

So what did the woman say when you told her to have some common sense?

This is exactly why I take several bottles of hand sanitizer with me. I wash before going to the buffet and sanitize before actually eating the food. This would help with nasty hands touching utensils, but nothing can help with someone tasting the food and putting that same spoon back into the food. That is just nasty!!

Unfortunately I knew exactly what this thread would be from the well-written title.

YUCK.

I once spoke nicely to a young lady on such an occasion and she apologized sweetly and stopped the behavior.

Some children are happy to learn with a little guidance. 😊