A simple question

mrmoose1947

Its a way for cruise line to recover lost revenue opportunity for facilities designed for at least 2 passengers

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

thank you, I guess that makes sense, on my last (also first) cruise I had a friend with me, but we didn't do anything that costed extra, and we had a blast, we did do shore excursions at each port

still doesn't make much sense to me, using less consumables, who would pay double for a land based hotel room?

Think about it: hotel is just a room. Ship is room and board but, most of all, extra cost items like booze and excursions, which will mean lost revenue with only you in a room meant for two people.

But it will not be a significant fare savings. You will pay a premium that will be higher than one persons rate at double occupancy but less than the total paid by two in a standard stateroom. And the stateroom will be smaller.

i noticed the cabins on royal are much smaller than the cabins on carnival, 115 sq ft compared to 185 sq ft

i noticed the cabins on royal are much smaller than the cabins on carnival, 115 sq ft compared to 185 sq ft

You must be looking at a Royal solo stateroom. All others range from 125 sq.ft. small inside to 195 sg.ft. balcony. Is the Carnival a standard double occupancy? Not likely that is a solo stateroom. RCI staterooms overall are comparable in similar categories.

still doesn't make much sense to me, using less consumables, who would pay double for a land based hotel room?

Hotels are a poor comparison. Generally, it is for the room only. Hotels typically only charge one rate regardless of numbers in room. It also doesn’t require the crew you have on a cruise ship. Cruise ships provide food, entertainment, and other things throughout the day/evening. Few people stay in there Hotel room for a week and stay within the confines of the Hotel.

You must be looking at a Royal solo stateroom. All others range from 125 sq.ft. small inside to 195 sg.ft. balcony. Is the Carnival a standard double occupancy? Not likely that is a solo stateroom. RCI staterooms overall are comparable in similar categories.

i have no idea, carnival interior is double and as i said it's 185 sq ft, the cabin i had 2 years ago was very large, but it was ocean view, i am looking at interior to save money

i have no idea, carnival interior is double and as i said it's 185 sq ft, the cabin i had 2 years ago was very large, but it was ocean view, i am looking at interior to save money

Hi mrmoose. Just to let you know there are others of us in the same situation - traveling solo. My cruising partner, for 29 previous cruises, died last December from agent orange poisoning in Vietnam. So, since we had five future cruises already booked, I had to either find another friend to go along (not an easy task) or basically pay 200%. I found a previous co-worker to go on the two cruises this years so, all is well. However, the three next year (Jan., April., Sept.) will be just me, so far. The January cruise already had to have payment in full and is an 11 day cruise on The Viking Sea. It is setting me back a big chunk of change but I decided that I did indeed want to go, so I paid up. As a solo cruiser, you have to decide: do I really want to go on this cruise and am I willing to pay 200%. Next, do I have to have a balcony (we always did) or is ocean view or even interior okay, to save money. Finally, which I don't know yet, will I still have a good time by myself since the vast majority of passengers on any cruise ship are couples. Since I'm older, I'm sure I will be fine but others might find it lonely. There is actually a site on CC just for solo cruisers with lots of helpful information. There are also a few cruise lines, although primarily NCL, that do have solo cabins and some programs for the solo travelers. NCL is not my "cup of tea" but perhaps only because I'm older.

If you have a good TA, she/he might also be able to assist you with solo travelers questions and suggestions. My TA knows me very well and offered immediate and ongoing help when my friend died with insurance claim paperwork and re-bookings and knows which cruise lines I prefer.

Good luck with your future cruises. It is an enjoyable part of this life.

Hi mrmoose. Just to let you know there are others of us in the same situation - traveling solo. My cruising partner, for 29 previous cruises, died last December from agent orange poisoning in Vietnam. So, since we had five future cruises already booked, I had to either find another friend to go along (not an easy task) or basically pay 200%. I found a previous co-worker to go on the two cruises this years so, all is well. However, the three next year (Jan., April., Sept.) will be just me, so far. The January cruise already had to have payment in full and is an 11 day cruise on The Viking Sea. It is setting me back a big chunk of change but I decided that I did indeed want to go, so I paid up. As a solo cruiser, you have to decide: do I really want to go on this cruise and am I willing to pay 200%. Next, do I have to have a balcony (we always did) or is ocean view or even interior okay, to save money. Finally, which I don't know yet, will I still have a good time by myself since the vast majority of passengers on any cruise ship are couples. Since I'm older, I'm sure I will be fine but others might find it lonely. There is actually a site on CC just for solo cruisers with lots of helpful information. There are also a few cruise lines, although primarily NCL, that do have solo cabins and some programs for the solo travelers. NCL is not my "cup of tea" but perhaps only because I'm older.

If you have a good TA, she/he might also be able to assist you with solo travelers questions and suggestions. My TA knows me very well and offered immediate and ongoing help when my friend died with insurance claim paperwork and re-bookings and knows which cruise lines I prefer.

Good luck with your future cruises. It is an enjoyable part of this life.

i sure understand, i'm old too, i'll be 70 next month, but i still like to get out and travel

carnival has a nice cruise, 5 days, and not very costly, and a nice sized room

Most of the mainstream cruise lines charge 200% but as mentioned above, there sometimes are sales. Cunard and Holland America don't charge that on some cruises. On Cunard you will pay 175% unless you are in a suite. On Holland America you will usually pay 160-165% on interior and ocean view cabins. On my one cruise on Royal Caribbean they were having a "second person sails for half price" sale when I booked so I was only charged 150%.

Besides the lost revenue from not having a second person in the cabin, someone on Cruise Critic offered another reason for the single supplement. Suppose a couple booked two cabins. One booked a suite that cost $10,000 per person and the other booked an interior that was $1000. If there was no single supplement the two of them could stay in the suite for $11,000 instead of $20,000.

As to going solo, I decided it was go by myself or not go as nobody I knew had the time and the money and the desire to do the cruises I wanted to go on.