Mean & Nasty Passengers

seanan2

My mom & I recently returned from a cruise to Alaska (Sept). I must say I was not happy with how many mean & nasty passengers we encountered. The crew could not have been nicer - just fellow passengers needed to learn some manners. I'm seriously considering never cruising again - as it was too hurtful to see my 80 yr old mom being spoken to in such disrespectful terms.

Too bad we can't implement a "test" to see if you can be nice to everyone you encounter before you are allowed to sail.

Thx for letting me vent.

Seanan

My mom & I recently returned from a cruise to Alaska (Sept). I must say I was not happy with how many mean & nasty passengers we encountered. The crew could not have been nicer - just fellow passengers needed to learn some manners. I'm seriously considering never cruising again - as it was too hurtful to see my 80 yr old mom being spoken to in such disrespectful terms.

Too bad we can't implement a "test" to see if you can be nice to everyone you encounter before you are allowed to sail.

Thx for letting me vent.

Seanan

Detail .... details... exactly what type of behavior should I be alerted to?

Thx for letting me vent.

They are everywhere. Not just on cruise ships. People don't change when they get on a ship. The bring their rude, boorish behavior with them. Look on this site and you will find them.

Thx for letting me vent.

Seanan

Was it elevator related? That’s my only problem. Why on earth would you try to get on a crowded full elevator?

Was it elevator related? That’s my only problem. Why on earth would you try to get on a crowded full elevator?

Its a 'City Mouse' vs 'Country Mouse' thing. A 'crowded full elevator' depends on what your use to back home.

Just like anywhere and anytime in life, we need to take our great time, fun , and positive attitude with us.

Let the idiots and their attitudes sail past us and not affect us. If they want to be miserable, that is their

problem and not mine.

Take a longer cruise. Alaska attracts the young/families, first time cruisers who do not have the skills to be in a confined space for more than 10 minutes. They haven't had time to decompress and relax.

Most Princess passengers are so very nice.

My experience has been that these people exist on every cruise, but they are the exception, it is just that they are so hard to forget.

Honestly, I have learned to just let it go or reply with absolutely dripping, sticky-sweet, overwhelming kindness.

Life if too short, cruising is too much fun and there is too much of the world to be seen for me to let someone who is mean-spirited, rude or just plain obnoxious ruin my adventures!

Thx for letting me vent.

Seanan

There are mean and nasty people everywhere. Please give us some examples that you experienced. I have mostly experienced friendly courteous and helpful passengers on my cruises. Maybe cruising is not for you.

Sorry you and your mother encountered rude fellow passengers. The crew can do an admirable job creating a pleasant environment for passengers, and we passengers can add to their efforts by simply modeling and demonstrating pleasantness ourselves. Smiling, saying good morning, hello, etc. can go a long way to creating a positive vacation experience. Never know what baggage others may be carrying with them, so I simply aim to be kind to others and take the high road when I encounter rudeness.

- just fellow passengers needed to learn some manners. I'm seriously considering never cruising again - as it was too hurtful to see my 80 yr old mom being spoken to in such disrespectful terms.

Seanan

You need to explain more so we can understand what happened and why some people were rude and disrespectful to your mom.

My experience has been that these people exist on every cruise, but they are the exception, it is just that they are so hard to forget.

Honestly, I have learned to just let it go or reply with absolutely dripping, sticky-sweet, overwhelming kindness.

Life if too short, cruising is too much fun and there is too much of the world to be seen for me to let someone who is mean-spirited, rude or just plain obnoxious ruin my adventures!

hey my kinda guy/gal. I vote for you as town mayor.

I think the OP's post is not worth analyzing. There is no detail. We do not know the circumstances or even what the OP considers as rude! For all we know the OP's mother is the rude person...and others were just reacting to her behavior. I hope the OP comes back and gives us some more information.

Hank

my alaska cruises have been great. one transatlantic was full of people with a huge sense of entitlement. they were rude to the crew which i abhor. i left the dinner table one night because of how a woman was treating the waiter. on my way out, i told the head waiter that the server was exceptional, its not his fault.

i don't think its the destination. its just the cruise. every once in awhile you get one like that. i combat it by please and thank you-ing all over the place. there really are more nice, kind people even if once in a while it doesn't feel like it.

Sorry to hear this, its just people unfortunately, all nationalities have them, no patience or no respect for the elderly, other passangers or the staff on the ship, thankfully they are in the minority but it isn’t nice coming across them, or worse still on the end of there fury or abuse.

Some of the nicest people we have met on cruises have been Americans, a friendlier, helpful and courteous people you couldn’t hope to meet but also some of the most rude or obnoxious have also been Americans

Just dont let the few spoil it for you.

! For all we know the OP's mother is the rude person...and others were just reacting to her behavior. I hope the OP comes back and gives us some more information.

Hank

This can also be possible. Due to their advance age and peculiar mental state, some old folks can be very grumpy, unpleasant to deal with and may even resort to acting out or hitting others the way a young kid would if things don't go their way. I came across a few like that at the senior care home where my parents are staying.

I think the OP's post is not worth analyzing. There is no detail. We do not know the circumstances or even what the OP considers as rude! For all we know the OP's mother is the rude person...and others were just reacting to her behavior. I hope the OP comes back and gives us some more information.

Hank

Would also like to know more. We find the vast majority of people on cruises to be nice and friendly.