Pet peeve

Judyumcer@aol.com

I think this will seem strange to other cruisers. But, here goes, we love sailing for rest & relaxation. Usually book a penthouse for the space. On sea days, we like to sleep & have no schedule. But, I feel guilty knowing the housekeeping staff are waiting for us to leave the room so they can straighten up. We put the privacy sign on the door but if we aren't out by noon, they call to see if we need anything. I tell them we don't need service. The same thing happens for turn down service. Sometimes, we don't leave the room until 30mins before the buffet closes. And, they are waiting for us to leave. I hate holding them up! Really makes me feel guilty! If the do disturb is on the door, please don't bother us.

I agree. Do not disturb means do not disturb. It doesn't mean call if you haven't heard from the occupants by X time. If I were disturbed while the sign is on I would be displeased, but I unplug the phone when I'm in a hotel/on a cruise unless I have a wake up call.

Feel the same way when we decide to wake up just before lunch and had to make way for the steward to make up the cabin. Sometimes just had to page him to say that we will skip his morning cleaning. I do know that it’s not his fault and just doing his job.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They shouldn't call you.

With that said if you know that each day you aren't going to be out by x time if it was me I would let the suite steward/stewardess know your routing so they aren't waiting out there for you. I think that would be a nice thing to do.

Keith

On embarkation day, you should talk with your cabin stewards and tell them you like to sleep in late and eat late and don;t want to be disturbed.

I noticed that you mentioned that you like to arrive at the evening buffet right before it closes. Do remember that your cabin staff do have a certain time that they go off duty. That is probably why they are waiting for you to leave in the evening.

On embarkation day, you should talk with your cabin stewards and tell them you like to sleep in late and eat late and don;t want to be disturbed. ...

Agree, best to tell the stateroom attendant up front.

You can tell them you will call them when you leave. There is a button on your phone for house keeping. You can also tell them not to turn down your bed, etc. at night. But housekeeping is between certain hours. Ask them what time it ends, morning & evenings, You can ask to have your cabin turned down 1st -which maybe 5pm.

Also, they may have to stay on duty until they finish every cabin. So leaving the privacy sign out may mean that they have to keep waiting on you.

I would have a chat with the room steward and their supervisor. Explaining you sleep late, and do not want a morning service on your room.

If you tell just the room steward, their supervisor may give them trouble.

You can tell them you will call them when you leave. There is a button on your phone for house keeping...

On Royal they give you their business card with their phone number.

Also, they may have to stay on duty until they finish every cabin. So leaving the privacy sign out may mean that they have to keep waiting on you.... I would have a chat with the room steward and their supervisor. Explaining you sleep late, and do not want a morning service on your room....

Agree with this. The cabin attendants ARE waiting for passengers to leave, no question about it. Telling them ahead of time will alleviate that.

On Royal they give you their business card with their phone number.

Agree with this. The cabin attendants ARE waiting for passengers to leave, no question about it. Telling them ahead of time will alleviate that.

One of the cruises we've done was on a Princess ship with our daughter who was then 17. And you know teenagers, they like to sleep. We left the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door until noon every day while at sea even if DW and I went out for breakfast or something else and we were never bothered by the room attendants. At noon, the phone would start ringing from other teens. (Must be a teen, unwritten agreement.) Once she was up we would "force" her to allow the room attendants to come in to make up the room.

On cruise ships and in hotels, this is not just a case of HK needing to clean the room. This is also a "welfare check" for the ship/hotel. They want to know that nothing is wrong, so they want to see that you are "alive", either in the room when they call,knock, or by the fact that you are out of the room. Trust me - just once have to deal with a death or a possible suicide in a room and you will understand why they want to make daily confirmation that you are OK.

If you don't want to be disturbed all day long, please make the call yourself. They can then check you off the list.

I think this will seem strange to other cruisers. But, here goes, we love sailing for rest & relaxation. Usually book a penthouse for the space. On sea days, we like to sleep & have no schedule. But, I feel guilty knowing the housekeeping staff are waiting for us to leave the room so they can straighten up. We put the privacy sign on the door but if we aren't out by noon, they call to see if we need anything. I tell them we don't need service. The same thing happens for turn down service. Sometimes, we don't leave the room until 30mins before the buffet closes. And, they are waiting for us to leave. I hate holding them up! Really makes me feel guilty! If the do disturb is on the door, please don't bother us.

Just tell your steward on embarkation that you don't want any daily service, and will call if you need anything.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Just tell your steward on embarkation that you don't want any daily service, and will call if you need anything.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

If you do not tell housekeeping your wishes as to DND, how are tthey to know ? but to ask. If you don' want them to call or knock, make an agreement when they msy physcially set eyes on you and view the cond tiion of yourroom/cabin. . If there is a water leak that you have nott reporrted, they need to look att your ceiling etc. SPEAK up or do not complain when they attempt to take care of their property, your cabin, and YOU.., their guest. Just think a bit about what recently happened in las Vegas. there was a DND on his door., however, housekeep ing is reported to have entered.

Yes, you have a good point. Yes, I am very familiar with what happened in Vegas. Not only do I live here, I work in the ER where the Level one Trauma Center is. Steve Wynn owner of the Wynn & Encore Hotels said his housekeeping staff is told if they don't see the guest for more than 12 hrs., they have to check on them. Makes perfect sense though!

Yes, you have a good point. Yes, I am very familiar with what happened in Vegas. Not only do I live here, I work in the ER where the Level one Trauma Center is. Steve Wynn owner of the Wynn & Encore Hotels said his housekeeping staff is told if they don't see the guest for more than 12 hrs., they have to check on them. Makes perfect sense though!

Judy, I would not have mentioned Las Vegas had I realized you live there . I did not see that in your signature until after reading your post I am sorry . I heard an interview with Steve Wynn who stated about housekeeping and their 12 hours rule . It seems necessary and reasonable. However, I also t hink it reasonable some g uests want to sleep undisturbed for many hours Communication between guest and housekeeping, solves the prob lem. Speak up and l tell them your wishes........ work with them.

Edited by sail7seas

I understand not wanting to be disturbed. But, if you don't want the room made up in the morning, and you don't leave for dinner until 30 minutes before the buffet closes that does not give the cabin attendant much opportunity to take care of the room, replace towels, etc. unless they do your cabin in their off time which is not fair to them.

I understand not wanting to be disturbed. But, if you don't want the room made up in the morning, and you don't leave for dinner until 30 minutes before the buffet closes that does not give the cabin attendant much opportunity to take care of the room, replace towels, etc. unless they do your cabin in their off time which is not fair to them.
^^^ This

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

One of the cruises we've done was on a Princess ship with our daughter who was then 17. And you know teenagers, they like to sleep. We left the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door until noon every day while at sea even if DW and I went out for breakfast or something else and we were never bothered by the room attendants. At noon, the phone would start ringing from other teens. (Must be a teen, unwritten agreement.) Once she was up we would "force" her to allow the room attendants to come in to make up the room.

Really kind of mean to make the room steward wait past their morning working hours to make up your room. You should just tell them if the DND sign is still on the door at the end of their morning shift, they can skip you until evening.

Yes, we did tell them. Many times, I'd just hand them the dirty towels & get fresh ones. Also handed them the wastebaskets to empty. Not a big issue though. No, we never made them wait for us. I'd come out & they'd be there waiting. I told them to go get some rest & not worry about us. If we needed something, we'd call the butler. They are so anxious to please their guests! And they work very hard! Oceania has a wonderful crew & terrific food. ️[emoji568]