Debarkation-Miami. Enforcing group times getting off? Luggage not ready until then?

mermaidIamNOT

I know we haven't even boarded yet an shouldn't be questioning about getting off but I was wondering as we're new to Celebrity:

Do they actually enforce the group times for debarkation? Once the self debarkation people are done carrying their own stuff off can anyone walk off and luggage will be ready an waiting? Is it airport carousel style or one big room with luggage in certain places?

We've done sailings on other lines when they wanted us to wait in the theater. Due to elevator crowding and with our sons mobility issues we decided to wait in the guest reception area near the gangway. After about 10min of watching people leave a crew member came over an said if we wanted to leave we could, even though our assigned group wasn't to be called for another hour. We checked in at the airline desk at the time we were supposed to be getting called to leave if we had stayed in the theater for the assigned time.

On Equinox in Miami in September we were told all the luggage would be out at the same time and if the debarkation tag time you had didn't work for you you could disembark when you wanted. The luggage tag number and color was just to tell you which carousel your luggage was on. This was totally different from the way it had been in the past.

Disembarkation: another silly change from Celebrity.

Our Debarkation sheet said:

"We have assigned numbers to all independent travelers with a departure time - please wait comfortably in any public lounge. If the time doesn't suit your plans, you do not need to change your numbered tags as the number is for recognition purposes only. All luggage will be available at 7:00 AM inside the terminal."

We didn't need to change our tags, just showed up when we wanted to - not sure if some times there will be a traffic jam or not - sounds like maybe it's a trial on some ships.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=54262223

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On Celebrity Infinity recently they were very well organized, and strict.

A number of crafty folks tried to have best of both worlds by putting their heavy luggage out the nite before disembark with the assigned tags, and they went to the early self disembark line with 2 small carry ons etc. Staff closely monitored the lines, questioned those with light luggage and they were asked to go wait with their assigned group rather than do early walk off.

In general, tags were assigned by time of flights and other trvl arragement. Looks like Equinox in Miami did it quite differently.

To OP: . Those with mobility issues were accomodated,.,no need to clog the gangway..,,Just let guest relations know your situation ahead of time,

Edited by hcat

They put out the Suites luggage 1st. Then they start putting out the rest of the luggage by number. I've left the ship while the are still off loading the luggage with forklifts. Exactly how many luggage numbers they have organized before calling group 1 I'm not sure.

To OP: . Those with mobility issues were accomodated,.,no need to clog the gangway..,,Just let guest relations know your situation ahead of time.

Guest relations will ensure you will get help, if they are informed of the situation. If they give you a time that you think is too late, just go to the GR desk and ask for an earlier time

This thread talked about this issue a couple of weeks ago:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2551863&highlight=vtcruising

It looked like some ships were trialing giving luggage tags with suggested departure times and the numbers were just used to find your luggage. There was no need to go to Guest Services to change the time. We walked off when ready to go. It worked well for us - no bottleneck at 7:30.

If you scroll down the thread, you can see the actual debarkation info we were given. Your cruise may or may not have this system since some recent cruisers are still reporting a strict debarkation by number procedure (with a visit to Guest Services to change the time, if needed). You could check with Guest Services when you board to see how it will be done on your cruise.

The more people do not follow the provided structure, especially on bigger ships, the more chaos we all get while getting on and off the ship...

Exactly....one yr ago on Infinity the process turned into a free for all..This Oct it was very well organized...much better, Not everyone can be first!

• 3 weeks later...
On Equinox in Miami in September we were told all the luggage would be out at the same time and if the debarkation tag time you had didn't work for you you could disembark when you wanted. The luggage tag number and color was just to tell you which carousel your luggage was on. This was totally different from the way it had been in the past.

Disembarkation: another silly change from Celebrity.

Our Debarkation sheet said:

"We have assigned numbers to all independent travelers with a departure time - please wait comfortably in any public lounge. If the time doesn't suit your plans, you do not need to change your numbered tags as the number is for recognition purposes only. All luggage will be available at 7:00 AM inside the terminal."

We didn't need to change our tags, just showed up when we wanted to - not sure if some times there will be a traffic jam or not - sounds like maybe it's a trial on some ships.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=54262223

If Celebrity waits until all the luggage is off the ship before they allow anyone not carrying their luggage to get off that will certainly push out the departure time based on my observations. I hope they do not implement this process across the board.

Is this procedure valid for Port Everglades or just Miami?

Port Everglades is different because we have never been in a terminal that had luggage carousels (like in the Port of Miami). In Port Everglades they put the luggage in various sections of the expansive floor and there are folks to steer you to the proper section for your color. If you decide to get off the ship earlier it is possible that your luggage will not yet be totally out....or that a port security worker will question why you are looking in a virgin luggage area. That being said, we have been known to walk off the ship a bit early in Port Everglades and have usually been able to locate our luggage :). Also keep in mind that Port Everglades does have a separate (and usually faster) line for those who have Global Entry status.

Hank

I don't know if you're flying to your home destination, or if anyone else suggested this, but you should really consider using luggage valet program, especially is your son has mobility problems. If you are flying certain airlines with flights after 11:30 from MIA or 2PM from FLL, you pay $25 per person plus any applicable baggage fees. You put your bags out the last night of the cruise with specially provided tags. You receive your airline boarding passes the last night of the cruise. Your luggage goes directly to your flight and you see it again at your home airport carousel upon landing. There's no luggage to claim at the cruise port terminal in MIA. You just go through customs immigration with your carry ons, go to the airport with nothing to check in, go directly to security and your gate. If your flight is later, you can do whatever you want in MIA without dragging luggage around all day. It's well worth it IMHO.

If you have mobility issues or want to find your luggage more easily, depart 15 minutes after your time is called. Most luggage will be gone, no one is rushing to your color area. Much simpler.

The last time we disembarked in Miami was during the time that Luggage Valet was not available. It was the worst we've had anywhere for any line. The traffic pattern to get to the luggage carousels was extremely disorganized. People were pushing through the same narrow spaces to get to their designated carousel in one of 3 different rooms as were the people coming from the carousels who were retreating back the way they came with all their luggage in tow to get into the immigration/customs line. If at all available I'd do Luggage Valet when disembarking in POM. I don't know if that cruise was out of the norm, but it's the worst we'd ever experienced anywhere.

We disembarked in Miami on Sunday from the Eclipse. We were luggage tag #9, disembarkation time of 8:10 and we saw luggage tags with #26. I don't know if someone was monitoring the passengers but it was a very easy disembarkation. It took us longer to get our luggage than it did to go through customs. No waiting at all.

To the OP -- if you would like to disembark early, speak to Guest Relations. They can change your disembarkation time to make it easier for you.