Clueless Native Floridian Cruising at End of September

CammieO

You asked about a hiker. Merrell makes their Moab hiker shoe that also comes in a waterproof edition. If you can't find it locally, check Zappos.com. They do free shipping. For socks, if you want a warmer sock, I suggest something that has wool in it. Check Dick's Sporting Goods. The closer to September they may stock their winter stuff. I was lucky to get my warm stuff on the mainland last year. Already had a waterproof jacket. I really like the North Face one. Have fun.
REI.com has wool and wool blend socks. They have them all year because even in summer it can be cold at times high in the Sierras or Rockies. I like the Smartwool ones. You don't need very heavy ones. The light weight wool socks provided enough warmth for hiking in Alaska summer.

I got the Merrell Moab WP (the WP indicates the waterproof version of the shoe, some other brands use GTX for Gortex) for Alaska and was very happy with them. It comes in low top or high (shoe or more of a boot). I got the low top as it's more versatile and comfortable. It is one of the few that comes in wide.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Re: gloves

Does your camera have a touchscreen? Do you use your phone a lot (camera, texting, maps)? It's good to be able to use touchscreens with out removing your gloves.

I got fingerless gloves with a mitten top. The mitten top covers the fingers most of the time & flips off so you can use your fingertips on a tuoch screen or when you want more dexterity. Amazon has them. Try a search like: wool fingerless gloves mitten to find them.

REI.com has wool and wool blend socks. They have them all year because even in summer it can be cold at times high in the Sierras or Rockies. I like the Smartwool ones. You don't need very heavy ones. The light weight wool socks provided enough warmth for hiking in Alaska summer.

I got the Merrell Moab WP (the WP indicates the waterproof version of the shoe, some other brands use GTX for Gortex) for Alaska and was very happy with them. It comes in low top or high (shoe or more of a boot). I got the low top as it's more versatile and comfortable. It is one of the few that comes in wide.

Thank you for the advice! Funnily enough I was actually at REI yesterday and bought exactly that boot without remembering it had already been reccomend. I got the high top for a little more ankle support though as I have weak ankles. I’m going to shop around for socks, but I definitely do want wool socks. I’m hoping I can find them for less than $20 a pair (smart wool and another brand that the salesperson recommended) like they were at our store.

Re: gloves

Does your camera have a touchscreen? Do you use your phone a lot (camera, texting, maps)? It's good to be able to use touchscreens with out removing your gloves.

I got fingerless gloves with a mitten top. The mitten top covers the fingers most of the time & flips off so you can use your fingertips on a tuoch screen or when you want more dexterity. Amazon has them. Try a search like: wool fingerless gloves mitten to find them.

Oh! That’s an idea! I kept thinking we’d need e-tip gloves that let you use your phone with out taking the gloves off, but fingerless gloves with a mitten top didn’t even occur to me. That’s really smart!

Oh! That’s an idea! I kept thinking we’d need e-tip gloves that let you use your phone with out taking the gloves off, but fingerless gloves with a mitten top didn’t even occur to me. That’s really smart!
I had touchscreen compatible gloves (Glider gloves) and they worked great at first. But they stopped working after about a year. I live near Sacramento, California and used them when traveling someplace colder so it's not like they had much wear.

Looking online, it's a common issue with the conductive gloves. The conductive material in the glove breaks down with use.

Bingomamma:

"So I think I am going to bring a fleece blanket also to keep me warm if its too cool there."

Don't you dare:););););)bring a fleece blanket with you. They'll be extra blankets in your cabin and the cabin steward can always get one for you. You have enough to schlepp!!

Have a great cruise!

Bingomamma:

"So I think I am going to bring a fleece blanket also to keep me warm if its too cool there."

Don't you dare:););););)bring a fleece blanket with you. They'll be extra blankets in your cabin and the cabin steward can always get one for you. You have enough to schlepp!!

Have a great cruise!

Oh...well that is good to know. I have only done the Carribean and never needed a blanket. I didn't want to take my bed blanket out to the balcony :)

Good...one less thing to pack

I went to one of the Eddie Bauer Outlets and bought a waterproof rain coat and two pairs of water resistant hiking pants. We went to quite a few glaciers and they were perfect. I wore cuddle duds underneath on my legs and Smart Wool socks. I have Merrell low hiking shoes that we sprayed with waterproofing. I did bring sneakers also just in case they got wet but even though it rained almost every day on our cruise, my feet stayed dry. I layered the top with a short sleeve shirt and a long sleeve top. I carried my souvenir hoodie (bought from our first port) in my backpack along with gloves, a scarf and ear muffs. I didn't wear the scarf or ear muffs at all but they were easy to carry and I was glad to have options if I needed more. When it was cold or rainy, I wore a baseball cap with my raincoat hood pulled up over it. My hands (in gloves) were cold when we did Tracy Arm but only because it was cold, damp and rainy and I refused to go indoors during a good portion of the tour. The top deck of our boat had a small covering and I loved being up there!

It sounds like you are definitely on the right track. Have a great time!

LOL went to Alaska a few years ago, From Miami, so brought a little of everything (layering(. Only thing I didn't pack was shorts, t top and bathing suit. And of course it was the middle of a heat wave, 87-90 degrees wherever we went. lol. Found some cold weather at Tracy Arm and when we did a Helicopter tour up the glacier to go dog sledding in the snow.

Funny thing CammieO. I was going to suggest REI. Didn't know they had one there. Great. The sock I bought from them was the Farm to Feet Hamilton. A lightweight crew with 53% wool. They are expensive, but guaranteed for life. lol I wore them hiking here to try out my Moab's. Have fun.

I’m a native Floridian and have been to Alaska three times, coming up on my forth (late August on the Ruby). It’s all about layers. Bring a few t-shirts, a couple of long sleeve shirts, a couple of sweaters, each of a different weight. Couple pairs of jeans, pair of khakis and don’t forget some lounging pants or leggings of some sort for the cabin or to wear when you going out to get coffee or your favorite adult beverage to have back in the cabin. Dressy slacks for night with a couple of blouses or dresses if that is to your liking. Slip on shoes for just running around the ship, dressy flats or heels if that’s your thing for evening. No one remembers what you’ve worn so you can re-wear the dressy outfits. If you plan to do a lot of walking or hiking, two pairs of sneakers in case on pair gets really muddy. Bring a fleece and rain jacket with a hood to layer with. You don’t need expensive hiking boots for Alaska unless you just want them or unless you are planning to hike miles in the double digits every day. You can do laundry on the ship. I have found from past experience (and have the photos to prove it) that I tend to wear the same stuff over and over. Gloves, beanie and scarf will be handy on glacier day. An extra hat for other days, baseball cap or otherwise came in handy on my “bad” hair days. You are going to love Alaska!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Waterproof pants with long underwear would certainly be enough, but I wouldn't wear long undies under jeans. Jeans are thick enough as it is,

Don't go overboard with the warm stuff or you'll regret packing all of it. Keep your layers thin

Good luck and have fun!

Whilst I agree about layers, I have to disagree about wearing long underwear under jeans. I went at the end of June and I had taken some long thin leggings and I ended up wearing them under my jeans - whilst ashore and on the ship where the a/c is always set too low for me.

The only thing I ended up buying was a fluffy headwarmer - mostly because it stopped the wind blowing my hair in my face when on deck. It was not really a very good look but it worked.

The OP talked about regretting not having a balcony. I did and paid about $1000 over the cost of the obstructed window rooms my daughters had. I am a big fan of balconies, but to be honest I think I wasted my money. I wanted to be on deck watching for wildlife. I know that you could watch from the balcony but then how would you know there wasn't something else more exciting going on the other side.

I had touchscreen compatible gloves (Glider gloves) and they worked great at first. But they stopped working after about a year. I live near Sacramento, California and used them when traveling someplace colder so it's not like they had much wear.

Looking online, it's a common issue with the conductive gloves. The conductive material in the glove breaks down with use.

I definitely didn’t know that. I’ll save my money and not worry about getting those sorts of gloves. Thanks for the tip!

Check out Sierratradingpost.com for smartwool socks - that's usually where I get mine. Nordstrom has some as part of the current Anniversary sale, but I think only the no-show socks...

Awesome! Thank you for the recommendation!

I went to one of the Eddie Bauer Outlets and bought a waterproof rain coat and two pairs of water resistant hiking pants. We went to quite a few glaciers and they were perfect. I wore cuddle duds underneath on my legs and Smart Wool socks. I have Merrell low hiking shoes that we sprayed with waterproofing. I did bring sneakers also just in case they got wet but even though it rained almost every day on our cruise, my feet stayed dry. I layered the top with a short sleeve shirt and a long sleeve top. I carried my souvenir hoodie (bought from our first port) in my backpack along with gloves, a scarf and ear muffs. I didn't wear the scarf or ear muffs at all but they were easy to carry and I was glad to have options if I needed more. When it was cold or rainy, I wore a baseball cap with my raincoat hood pulled up over it. My hands (in gloves) were cold when we did Tracy Arm but only because it was cold, damp and rainy and I refused to go indoors during a good portion of the tour. The top deck of our boat had a small covering and I loved being up there!

It sounds like you are definitely on the right track. Have a great time!

Thanks for the advice! That all sounds a lot like what I’ve been thinking of bringing, so I’m glad to hear that it worked out well for you! Thank you!

LOL went to Alaska a few years ago, From Miami, so brought a little of everything (layering(. Only thing I didn't pack was shorts, t top and bathing suit. And of course it was the middle of a heat wave, 87-90 degrees wherever we went. lol. Found some cold weather at Tracy Arm and when we did a Helicopter tour up the glacier to go dog sledding in the snow.

Haha isn’t that just how it always goes? You think you’ve got it covered and then nature throws you a curveball. That sounds like an awesome excursion!!

Funny thing CammieO. I was going to suggest REI. Didn't know they had one there. Great. The sock I bought from them was the Farm to Feet Hamilton. A lightweight crew with 53% wool. They are expensive, but guaranteed for life. lol I wore them hiking here to try out my Moab's. Have fun.

We have a whopping grand total of two in the whole state :') and one of those only opened about a year ago I’d say. But I’m glad to have the option of going to them now. I’ll definitely take a look at those socks! Thanks!

I’m a native Floridian and have been to Alaska three times, coming up on my forth (late August on the Ruby). It’s all about layers. Bring a few t-shirts, a couple of long sleeve shirts, a couple of sweaters, each of a different weight. Couple pairs of jeans, pair of khakis and don’t forget some lounging pants or leggings of some sort for the cabin or to wear when you going out to get coffee or your favorite adult beverage to have back in the cabin. Dressy slacks for night with a couple of blouses or dresses if that is to your liking. Slip on shoes for just running around the ship, dressy flats or heels if that’s your thing for evening. No one remembers what you’ve worn so you can re-wear the dressy outfits. If you plan to do a lot of walking or hiking, two pairs of sneakers in case on pair gets really muddy. Bring a fleece and rain jacket with a hood to layer with. You don’t need expensive hiking boots for Alaska unless you just want them or unless you are planning to hike miles in the double digits every day. You can do laundry on the ship. I have found from past experience (and have the photos to prove it) that I tend to wear the same stuff over and over. Gloves, beanie and scarf will be handy on glacier day. An extra hat for other days, baseball cap or otherwise came in handy on my “bad” hair days. You are going to love Alaska!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for the detailed advice! Enjoy your upcoming cruise! I have a feeling we’ll be going to Alaska more than once ourselves (though I always say that about the places we love, but then the siren call of unexplored destinations gets to me haha). We have a hike planned for each port day, so the new boots will see some action though not super long distances. And it gives us a reason to plan more mountain trips. Thank you again! I can’t wait!

Whilst I agree about layers, I have to disagree about wearing long underwear under jeans. I went at the end of June and I had taken some long thin leggings and I ended up wearing them under my jeans - whilst ashore and on the ship where the a/c is always set too low for me.

The only thing I ended up buying was a fluffy headwarmer - mostly because it stopped the wind blowing my hair in my face when on deck. It was not really a very good look but it worked.

The OP talked about regretting not having a balcony. I did and paid about $1000 over the cost of the obstructed window rooms my daughters had. I am a big fan of balconies, but to be honest I think I wasted my money. I wanted to be on deck watching for wildlife. I know that you could watch from the balcony but then how would you know there wasn't something else more exciting going on the other side.

Thank you for the reply! I sometimes wear leggings under my jeans here when it is actually cold so I figured I might use that method while on board if needed. I’m glad it worked for you. I won’t wear jeans to go hiking just in case it rains so I don’t end up cold and wet, but on the ship it should be okay. A fluffy head warmer sounds very nice! A balcony would be a nice treat, but you’re right, there could be other things happening on the opposite side of the ship.

I heard about Frogg Toggs rain pants from a poster here on CC. Dick's Sporting Goods carries this brand. They are not all that expensive. The men's classic pro was $25 and the ladies java toad lite was $60. My husband said no I won't need this. Well, we are picking up a pair, and if he doesn't wear them, I can return. Seems like a small price to pay when you fork out 3k plus for a trip.

We have been to Alaska several times but only one time late in the season and we can say that you definitely neeed items you have mentioned including dry outer wear and warmer layers. It can be rough that time of year between weather, businesses closing and less access to time outside the ship if the weather is bad and since the daylight hours will be drastically reduced.......but just go with a good attitude and take the tips given above ........

I’m a native Floridian myself, now a Juneauite. It’s not super cold yet that time of year, but the wet 40-50 degree temps can be more miserable than dry and 30s. You’re on the right track. Wool socks, waterproof hiking shoes (I like Merrells) that you have work around enough before you leave to know they are comfortable, and waterproof rain coat and pants should be all you need to layer over your regular stuff. The more cotton you are wearing, the more miserable you will be when wet. Bring a couple pairs of fleece gloves, so you can have one drying if necessary. Oh, and a hat with a brim! In always wear a ball cap under my rain coat hood when walking in the rain. It could be pouring rain, or just mist, or, with the amazingly unusual summer we have had, it could even be 65 and sunny. Also be prepared for some businesses to already be closed for the season or be in clearance sale mode. That is the very tail end of the season, and many of the college-aged workers will have gone back to school. Enjoy your visit!

• 2 weeks later...
I heard about Frogg Toggs rain pants from a poster here on CC. Dick's Sporting Goods carries this brand. They are not all that expensive. The men's classic pro was $25 and the ladies java toad lite was $60. My husband said no I won't need this. Well, we are picking up a pair, and if he doesn't wear them, I can return. Seems like a small price to pay when you fork out 3k plus for a trip.

Yeah, I heard about them as well. I hope they work well for you (or that you don’t need them at all)! I got a pair of REI rain pants on clearance and have a good rain jacket already so hopefully I’ll be covered.