Train up to Anchorage after our cruise

ken_nyc

We just booked the Radiance for June 14th 2019 the northbound. Our friends that we are going with want to take the train up to Anchorage for our flights home, what are the thoughts of all of you that have been there before? Thank you in advance!

Folks flying home after northbound cruises ending in either Seward or Whittier will fly home out of Anchorage. The rail trip from Seward is generally considered more scenic than the highway from Seward to Anchorage, but the scenery along the road is lovely too. Rail versus highway for cruises ending in Whittier are a toss up for me.

We just booked the Radiance for June 14th 2019 the northbound. Our friends that we are going with want to take the train up to Anchorage for our flights home, what are the thoughts of all of you that have been there before? Thank you in advance!

Is there any reason why you have to make the same arrangements as your friends. I have done the drive to and from Anchorage many times and it is a great drive. I have never done the train trip from Seward to Anchorage but I have done the supposedly scenic train trip from Anchorage to Denali and I disliked (maybe even hated) every minute of it. I might even say that it swore me off any train trips forever. The reason is that a scenic trip is not acceptable to me if you can't stop and admire the scenery and trains do not stop.

My recommendation is that you drive and if your friends do not want to drive with you, let them take the train.

DON

You will probably either be on a chartered bus if you don’t take the train. Turnagain Arm is one of my very favorite drives in the state. But if you won’t be able to stop where you want while driving, the train trip will be just as scenic. The tracks run right on the edge of the inlet, so sit on the left side. Otherwise you will have a view of a cliff face much of the time.

You will probably either be on a chartered bus if you don’t take the train. Turnagain Arm is one of my very favorite drives in the state. But if you won’t be able to stop where you want while driving, the train trip will be just as scenic. The tracks run right on the edge of the inlet, so sit on the left side. Otherwise you will have a view of a cliff face much of the time.

A bus would be immeasurably worse than the train. However, why can't you rent a car and drive.

DON

We've done the northbound RCI Radiance a couple of times. Easy to book the cruiseline train transfers directly with RCI (actually the only way to book them)....It's a great 126 mile narrated train trip that leaves from right next to where Radiance docks and takes approx 4 hours to get from Seward to ANC. ....So leaving at 7:30am from Seward the train pulls right into ANC at 11:30am.

If you're flying home that day end of cruise, to book the train transfers your flight can be departing no earlier than 2:30pm from ANC.

Your friends are correct...book the train with RCI...you'll be so glad you did...we certainly have enjoyed it.

Years back, we were on the Princess chartered coach from Anchorage to Whittier. There were beluga whales in Turnagain Arm, we had time (coaches are scheduled around the tunnel times, or, were then) so the coach stopped to give us time to get out & see the whales, take photos....

A bus would be immeasurably worse than the train. However, why can't you rent a car and drive.

Personally, I dislike renting a car when on vacation in general. And it can be difficult for the driver to see the scenery if paying attention to, you know, actually driving. In that case, a train or coach would be preferable. I hate to have to fight with my spouse about who has to drive. So, opinions do vary;p

Our upcoming cruise ends in Seward and we thought about the train but my husband didn't like the times so we have opted for the coach....

Your ship will be arriving into SEWARD, which is 125 miles from Anchorage; 4 hrs by train.

You can take the cruise-contracted train that leaves around 7:30am or if you have an extra day, take the 6pm train to Anchorage and spend the day sightseeing in Seward.

If you want to 'see' what the train ride is like, there is LOTS of video on youtube to view.

Besides the train, other options include cruise transfer, independent transfer, Park Connection Bus, Seward Buslines, and HERTZ rental car.

We've done the northbound RCI Radiance a couple of times. Easy to book the cruiseline train transfers directly with RCI (actually the only way to book them)....It's a great 126 mile narrated train trip that leaves from right next to where Radiance docks and takes approx 4 hours to get from Seward to ANC. ....So leaving at 7:30am from Seward the train pulls right into ANC at 11:30am.

If you're flying home that day end of cruise, to book the train transfers your flight can be departing no earlier than 2:30pm from ANC.

Your friends are correct...book the train with RCI...you'll be so glad you did...we certainly have enjoyed it.

We're doing northbound on Radiance next year and I admit that I am not great at navigating RC's website. Would you be able to tell me how you managed to book the train? I can't find it listed anywhere and would like to know what the price is and how to book it! Thx.

We're doing northbound on Radiance next year and I admit that I am not great at navigating RC's website. Would you be able to tell me how you managed to book the train? I can't find it listed anywhere and would like to know what the price is and how to book it! Thx.

I believe when we did it it was approx $130+ something pp.. (well worth the cost for what you're getting after all it's an excursion in it's self...narrated by a live guide in each car and food and refreshments available for purchase) The only way you can book it is to call RCI directly (can't do it on website) and the agent will give you the current price and book it for you...no other way to book this. Just so you know it can and does sell out...it's very popular.

And it can be difficult for the driver to see the scenery if paying attention to, you know, actually driving. In that case, a train or coach would be preferable. ;p

I certainly agree with that. Over the years we have been to Hawaii a lot, probably way over a hundred times. I've always rented a vehicle. In January we were on Waikiki for a week, no car. Wife didn't want to go but I took an all day around Oahu tour in a small luxury van. Man, did I enjoy that, mainly because I got to see the country.

Your ship will be arriving into SEWARD, which is 125 miles from Anchorage; 4 hrs by train.

You can take the cruise-contracted train that leaves around 7:30am or if you have an extra day, take the 6pm train to Anchorage and spend the day sightseeing in Seward.

If you want to 'see' what the train ride is like, there is LOTS of video on youtube to view.

Besides the train, other options include cruise transfer, independent transfer, Park Connection Bus, Seward Buslines, and HERTZ rental car.

Don't rush to leave Seward. One of the most scenic 6 hours boat cruises I've taken has been out of seward. Beautiful scenary, tons of wildlife. I would highly recommend.

We are docking at 6 a.m at Seward (Anchorage) Regent SS Mariner next June but the train we are taking from Seward to Anchorage doesn't depart until 1800 hours. Any ideas what time we have to be off the ship by and is there anywhere that we can store our luggage until we need to go to the railway station?

We are docking at 6 a.m at Seward (Anchorage) Regent SS Mariner next June but the train we are taking from Seward to Anchorage doesn't depart until 1800 hours. Any ideas what time we have to be off the ship by and is there anywhere that we can store our luggage until we need to go to the railway station?

The Seward train depot has been storing luggage for passengers who have tickets on their evening train. BUT things can change from yr to yr, so i would email them next Spring to verify. reservations@akrr.com

Also, if you take an excursion, many vendors will hold your luggage.

The Seward train depot has been storing luggage for passengers who have tickets on their evening train. BUT things can change from yr to yr, so i would email them next Spring to verify. reservations@akrr.com

Also, if you take an excursion, many vendors will hold your luggage.

Very many thanks for that. Our Regent Cruise docks at 0600 so I am not sure what time that means we get ashore and what time we will have for any excursions before our train departure at 1800 hours. I am also nervous about setting off on an excursion with the need to get back in time for the train.

Very many thanks for that. Our Regent Cruise docks at 0600 so I am not sure what time that means we get ashore and what time we will have for any excursions before our train departure at 1800 hours. I am also nervous about setting off on an excursion with the need to get back in time for the train.

I wouldn't worry too much about an excursion being late. Most vendors, like the Kenai day cruises, time their tours to coincide with the train..... they have tours that return at 5:30pm so that people can catch the evening train, and they have tours that leave at 11:30 to serve train passengers arriving on the 11am train from Anchorage. The train is a VERY popular option.

If you don't feel like doing an excursion, the harbor is a great place to hang out for a few hours. There's a free shuttle bus that takes people downtown or there's a lovely waterfront trail that leads from the harbor to downtown ( about a mile ).

I wouldn't worry too much about an excursion being late. Most vendors, like the Kenai day cruises, time their tours to coincide with the train..... they have tours that return at 5:30pm so that people can catch the evening train, and they have tours that leave at 11:30 to serve train passengers arriving on the 11am train from Anchorage. The train is a VERY popular option.

If you don't feel like doing an excursion, the harbor is a great place to hang out for a few hours. There's a free shuttle bus that takes people downtown or there's a lovely waterfront trail that leads from the harbor to downtown ( about a mile ).

Once again many thanks for that info. Do you happen to know how far the station is from the docks, I assume there must be some form of transport between the two?

We took the train to Anchorage and it was wonderful .I see you are from Sheepshead Bay .Did you go to SBHS ? I grew up in Brooklyn.

Lenny

I’d strongly suggest you find out what is available in Seward for your interests. But I would never advocate for wasting the day doing nothing. . http://Www.seward.com. A week + ago the depot was was storing bags-but remember you will have NO access to them until Anchorage.

Staff are going to encourage passengers to exit the ship. So plan on by 9 am

The depot is walkable with no mobility issues. I always walk to/from the boat tour vendors. There is a loop shuttle bus as well.

The fear of taking a tour is unfounded. You can be transferred to the station or easily simply walk.