Book with Big Box or direct with NCL?

MrsTravelBug

I am about to take my 5th NCL cruise (Europe and Panama) and have never been offered an upgrade. Is it because I booked with a Big Box store, or perhaps the sailings were full? Has anyone booked with a Big Box travel company and been offered an upgrade? I've never heard upgrades until I started reading Roll Call posts.

Thank you for any info you can give me!

I booked with a chain that has offices all over the northeast (often in malls) and found I was excluded from bidding.

Will you continue to book with your TA or will you switch to NCL?

I like the benefits I get from the place I booked but now I am wondering if I am missing out on perks.

i book directly with NCL

it is true that you can sometimes get a better deal working with a travel agent. however that travel agent now owes your booking, and any changes/questions about the booking needs to be done through the travel agent. this could be a hassle depending on the travel agent hours.

by booking direct with NCL, i can call NCL at anytime i want.

I like the benefits I get from the place I booked but now I am wondering if I am missing out on perks.

"ASK"

It is fair if booking OUTSIDE the NCL window of reservations if your TA offers/participates in the bidding

upgrading programs as well as other perks promos etc.

Of course you could book that cabin if available and pay the fare - but if that cabin class is not available

because it is booked full - certainly should not be a reason to try to bid or upgrade to it even if done through

a third party (TA).

I booked my next two cruises through a TA and received the bidding/upgrade program by email direct from

NCL - so I am thinking that the TA has nothing to do with this and as such will not change the agency fee

or commission on the sale. Only thing noted by NCL is the insurance providers coverage charges may

change with the larger more expensive fare class of cabin - but that should be between you and the insurance

company unless that insurance was provided by NCL directly.

The question is WHY your TA or third party agent would not participate in the upgrade program and if that

is going to be an issue for continued patronage of his business.

We booked our latest cruise direct with NCL. The Agency gave us $100OBC which we also got with our latest NCL booking so there is no difference in benefits. I am curious to hear what benefits some people get? Insurance may be better with some agencies.

The biggest issue I had was prices started dropping and my agent was out of office and took over a day to respond to me even when she was in. Nobody else at the office wanted to help. So no agency for me now.

We booked our latest cruise direct with NCL. The Agency gave us $100OBC which we also got with our latest NCL booking so there is no difference in benefits. I am curious to hear what benefits some people get? Insurance may be better with some agencies.

The biggest issue I had was prices started dropping and my agent was out of office and took over a day to respond to me even when she was in. Nobody else at the office wanted to help. So no agency for me now.

The reason I booked with the 'big box' travel was as well as the usual NCL free-at-sea, I am getting a gift card for $475 when I return home. (and that was for booking an obstructed view). I did hear that others on the same cruise were given options to bid for an upgrade. When I did call the 'big box' to find out why I wasn't contacted, I was on hold forever. Once I got through I was on hold even longer while she called NCL. I thought it might be nice to have a chance for a better cabin. The reply I got was that not everyone is contacted.

It isn't a really big deal but I wondered if I had booked directly with NCL, if a bid opportunity would have been offered. Now that I am looking at booking another cruise I am weighing the pros and cons of who to book with.

I wish I had never heard of this whole bidding process!!

I thank everyone who has replied. It is great to hear your thoughts and opinions.

The reason I booked with the 'big box' travel was as well as the usual NCL free-at-sea, I am getting a gift card for $475 when I return home. (and that was for booking an obstructed view). I did hear that others on the same cruise were given options to bid for an upgrade. When I did call the 'big box' to find out why I wasn't contacted, I was on hold forever. Once I got through I was on hold even longer while she called NCL. I thought it might be nice to have a chance for a better cabin. The reply I got was that not everyone is contacted.

It isn't a really big deal but I wondered if I had booked directly with NCL, if a bid opportunity would have been offered. Now that I am looking at booking another cruise I am weighing the pros and cons of who to book with.

I wish I had never heard of this whole bidding process!!

I thank everyone who has replied. It is great to hear your thoughts and opinions.

Go back and clear the air with this Big Box TA certainly not by phone on HOLD !

Do they have a in store kiosk counter with a physical agent there ?

As for the bidding/upgrading process it is true not all guests are invited.

If invited you do not need to participate.

Are there cabins categories that are not eligible - did I book into one of those ?

Like your cabin selection stick with it - no obligation to change or move.

With the bidding/upgrading - if your bid is selected you may find yourself in a bigger better

cabin HOWEVER it may not be in a desirable location - know how to be somewhat selective

in that location - the bids are for a type class category of cabin - bid only on those that are

of interest to you. Never bid anywhere near or the same level you could have booked the

cabin for in the first place.

Time to sit back and dwell on booking that next cruise and be better educated.

But do go back and talk shop with the Big Box TA and find out more of how they do business and

why you should continue to do that business with them.

Before booking that next cruise with Big Box check with NCL.com to see who has the best deal.

Further questions come back to CC - CC is here to help you and other members with similar issues !

When I book, I have done all of my research. I know what ship, what dates and what cabin category I want. I have been booking exclusively through the big box agencies for a while now and have always gotten a better deal (perks, prepaid gratuities or OBC) over and above what NCL was offering. But, it isn't for everyone. I live in South Florida, so I usually book after the full payment date, so immediate response on price drops are not a concern. Also, as a previous poster pointed out, the agency owns your reservation, and NCL won't help you with any changes; you need to go back to the agency.

I've typically use one of the bigger online cruise agencies or the big box store and only booked direct when I was first starting to cruise. I've always gotten far better deals using a TA (big box or online). I actually prefer the online TA to the warehouse store. The online TA I use usually offers extra free perks (dining, or internet or excursion credits), onboard credit $$ and loyaty credit. So it's usually a littel better than the warehouse store (although not for Carnival, the warehouse store has better deals on Carnival). Sure the TA owns the booking but the only time I ever have to talk to them is if I want to change cabins. Which I have done a few times and it's never been an issue. All the other stuff like booking excursions, shows, meals is done thru the website same as anyone booking direct. I am able to bid on upgrades although I rarely do.

I’ve used both, NCL direct prices in the U.K. are expensive, with T/A my next cruise with flights, three day hotel stay, all the perks in San Juan, is within £100 of NCL Cruise only, I always offer NCL the opportunity to match, but with flights etc, they are normally about £800 per person more expensive. I do get the opportunity to buy upgrades.