Feel bad for Newark passengers

lfreda

I booked my hotel for next May yesterday and then almost regretted saving myself $65 for the right to cancel. But my room for one night was $204. So, I guess I self-insured.

But I am a nervous Nellie. Not sure I would fo it again.

I do not consider SW a budget airline. And when I had to cancel last year I got a full credit!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

NY/NJ area experiencing one and off severe storms (last night, today) ...not so sure anyone would want to drive anywhere today!!!

My mom and I drove to Miami in a snowstorm because our flight was delayed. It actually worked well cause there wasn’t many people on the roads.

The weather in NJ has been crazy all summer. Last week people were having trouble flying into EWR due to severe storms causing canceled flights. Some went from non-stop flights to 4 connecting flights or renting a car and driving.

We had very strong winds, thunder and lightning all night and flash flooding...they're predicting the same for tonight.

If you check flight status for ALL FLIGHTS in and out of EWR today, you'll see plenty of delays, cancellations and diverted flights.

Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone trying to get to their ports.

Why not mention the airline?

This information is important so that people don't book these types of airlines when time is critical.

Agreed. this thread seems to be making an assumption it's Spirit, would be better to simply know which airline it is.

The weather in NJ has been crazy all summer. Last week people were having trouble flying into EWR due to severe storms causing canceled flights. Some went from non-stop flights to 4 connecting flights or renting a car and driving.

We had very strong winds, thunder and lightning all night and flash flooding...they're predicting the same for tonight.

If you check flight status for ALL FLIGHTS in and out of EWR today, you'll see plenty of delays, cancellations and diverted flights.

Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone trying to get to their ports.

It’s been Florida here this summer!

(JFK/LGA/EWR/HPN/SWF) - the departure airport options

JFK - Kennedy Airport

LGA - LaGuardia

EWR - Newark Airport Newark NJ

HPN - Westchester Airport White Plains NY

SWF - Stewart Intl Airport Newburgh NY

Other options not mentioned - Connection flights via Atlanta GA - Charlotte NC - Raleigh NC -

and Amtrak to PHL (Philadelphia) BWI (Baltimore Washington Airport)

The (Florida) arrival airport options - MIA (Miami) MCO (Orlando) JAX (Jacksonville) TPA (Tampa) PBI (West Palm Beach)

Arrive at any one of these and except for weather related conditions the cruise game is on schedule.

Those that are a bit distant (JAX and TPA) - rent-a-car.

You want to catch that cruise and times are desperate think outside the regular scheduled box service -

know what options are available - but do plan your travels with a cushion of time to pull it off !

Don't be a basket case having all you eggs in one basket - now enjoy your cruise !

There is also ISP Long Island MacArthur Airport

I feel bad for anyone in Newark, passengers or not. Terrible city! But in all seriousness, don’t take what they tell you at the airport at face value. A few months ago connecting in Baltimore, when my flight was cancelled Southwest told me they couldn’t get me out until two days later. This would not work for work purposes. After a call to their corporate office, and checking with two other agents, I was on a flight two hours later to Boston. Some people did believe the first agent and left. I think they thin the demand that way. And there were actually empty seats on that flight to Boston too. As others have mentioned, there are so many airports near NY, NJ, PA, Conn, and Mass, for anyone that puts some effort into it, they can make it down to FL. Might cost them if they are booked on an airline like Spirit, or may have to drive to another airport even for Southwest, and it helps to be traveler savvy, but can be done.

Hmmm.. While I've bought insurance for a cruise (Both cruise and independent companies) I've never had to file on insurance. Do they reinburse your lost cruise cost IF you airline cancels your flight and you miss your cruise? Just wondering

Mac

Usually not. Most insurance counts that as a delay and you are still expected to catch up to the cruise. Delay coverage also tend to be limited ($500 is not unusual)

So if I'm understanding this correctly, we'll soon be seeing a bunch of posts from people who missed their cruise and who are blaming NCL for not refunding their money or letting them switch to a different cruise. Everything will be greedy, nickel & dime, NCL's fault. And of course, all of the customer service reps will be rude.

Well bless your NCL heart!

I booked my hotel for next May yesterday and then almost regretted saving myself $65 for the right to cancel. But my room for one night was $204. So, I guess I self-insured.

But I am a nervous Nellie. Not sure I would fo it again.

I do not consider SW a budget airline. And when I had to cancel last year I got a full credit!

Agree. Another important benefit is that Southwest has multiple departures daily, especially going to popular airports. I have never flown Spirit and don't care if they sell tickets for $1. When Spirit cancels a flight, you are up the creek.

Edited by IrieBajan54
punctuation

So if I'm understanding this correctly, we'll soon be seeing a bunch of posts from people who missed their cruise and who are blaming NCL for not refunding their money or letting them switch to a different cruise. Everything will be greedy, nickel & dime, NCL's fault. And of course, all of the customer service reps will be rude.

Thanks for your input. Your forever degrading input is hilarious. Has no relevance. We are not stupid. Relax. ...

We have a cruise booked for South America in January and are flying out of JFK on American. We have never flown in the winter before and it really scares me that there might be a snowstorm that day. We are coming in a few days in advance but Dec. thru March are the only times these cruises are offered.

We have a cruise booked for South America in January and are flying out of JFK on American. We have never flown in the winter before and it really scares me that there might be a snowstorm that day. We are coming in a few days in advance but Dec. thru March are the only times these cruises are offered.

Not necessary to be scared just think of plan B just in case JFK is closed, Philly, Baltimore or Washington may be choices if the worse happens, also plenty of time to buy cruise insurance in case you haven't done at booking time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree. Another important benefit is that Southwest has multiple departures daily, especially going to popular airports. I have never flown Spirit and don't care if they sell tickets for $1. When Spirit cancels a flight, you are up the creek.

Depends on when and where you are flying. There are fewer and fewer airlines that have agreements to put you on an other airline. Spirit is not the only one that doesn't. Others include Southwest, Frontier, Allegiant, and Jet Blue. Low cost international airlines like WOW aren't going to rebook you either.

That doesn't leave many others, just the older airlines, like United, American, Delta, Alaska, and some of the larger international.

There is a reason that they are discount, not including Southwest...

Yet, they are the airline which we chose to fly to Seattle to go to Alaska, and not only was the flight delayed, but they lost our luggage and was NEVER found [emoji36]

Let me having fun with this, OP didn't mention the airline except to suggest/hint it's a LCC and not the remaining legacy airline, among them United & its alliance/regional/commuter partners ... with up to 70% of the EWR traffic & gates. JetBlue isn't exactly a LCC these days but we do fly them and they, unlike United, do NOT have interline arrangement to honor & endorse tickets for passengers with delayed/cancelled flights to fly on other carriers - FWIW, it could be JetBlue, although, their customer services are better these days as they learned their hard lessons over the years & took a few beatings. A bonus tip, it's sometimes - better/faster/easier - to call them at the 800 number and/or even tweet them directly to rebook & get quicker help, or do it via their free mobile App ... then, to stand in line as # 49 for the next available gate/counter agents inside the packed terminal.

The post could've been a "horror" ?? story on Carnival, RCL and/or another cruise lines - OP is sailing the Getaway but got rebooked. The other passengers "overhead" are sailing NCL ?? or not ??

Whether the cancelled/delayed flights are with the airlines having interline arrangements or not, out of EWR or nearby/alternate airports, is only good if there are available seats on the next flights out with confirmed availability - not to dash across town or to the next city to be on a standby list ... reality is that when there are major delays, especially weather-related cancellation, it's not as simple to find seats for hundreds, if not thousands of "stranded" passengers.

Even Greybound had problems this past week and came up short with no drivers available to report for duties. Well, despite Amtrak's not so good records & arrival performance, it might be a practical solution ... as is getting into a car/suv/minivan and start driving, load up on the caffeine - then, go.

Good luck to those at EWR (windy & rain reported) waiting to leave on a flight now, delays is now 70+ minutes & increasing ... LGA & JFK are still showing on-time, at this moment.

Southwest allows you to fly early at no cost of your itinerary looks to be affected by weather.

All major airlines also issue a weather waiver if they expect that your itinerary will be affected by Sever weather so that you can make changes in advance free of charge.