Amateur Radios on NCL?

LTCSZ

I was thinking of taking my amateur radio handheld radio on my cruise to the US Virgin Islands and making some contacts with local amateurs...Has anyone had experience using amateur radios on NCL? I would not use it while the ship is underway, only while in USVI...It is not capable of transmitting on any ship radio frequencies...Any experiences would be appreciated!

Steve

Why not do all your DX from home instead of bring the portable gears ? Typical port stop @USVI is 8 hours at most ;) for getting the green lights.

Written permission is expected and should be obtained from the cruise line and ship's captain, etc. ahead of sailing - here's a blog from a fellow Ham http://www.ka3nam.com/ka3nam-vp9-mm/obtaining-permission-from-the-cruise-line

Best practices/guidelines from AARL - http://www.arrl.org/maritime-mobile-operation-in-international-waters

Edited by mking8288

I was only planning on taking a two meter hand-held to make a few contacts while in the US Virgin Islands...Not while on the ship...Just planned to get off of the ship and try to contact a few of the local repeaters...There are several in St Croix (NP2VI/147.11+/100 PL)

K - understood your original intent. But, cruislines, including NCL - as I understood, should they find (... they might not) your 2 meter Yaesu or Icom, etc. in your checked or hand luggage (without the shorty antenna & charger) - ship security might "store" it safely for you, as a precaution against out-of-band ops) until disembarkation. Then, you will have zero access to it while ashore - write to them ahead as a matter of courtesy, that's my point for what it's worth.

Good luck & enjoy your cruise :cool:

Good point...I didn't realize that they would confiscate a radio if found...Don't want to get into a discussion with the ship security! I will try emailing NCL for their policy...Thanks again...

Steve KA1OWC

My DH takes a hand held with him all the time (he works for a radio manufacturer). He only uses it to listen to marine traffic. He uses it on the Islands and that's fine (as long as you're licensed).

Also, something which might be of more interest, Steve, there is a group who cruise together almost every year and have an agreement with CCL whereby they are permitted to use their radios while on the ship. The HAM radio enthusiasts must be licensed and agree to stay within the guidelines set by the cruise line but, other than that, it's all good.

If you want more info on this, let me know.

I would really appreciate a link to the CCL ham cruise info! That sounds like real fun! Thanks a lot...

Steve

Yes, it sounds like a lot of fun. We had to cancel our reservation on it but you might like it.

Can you send me an email Steve? ( conniecruzes at outlook dot com ) I can't actually post the info here but would be happy to give you Debbie's email address.

Sent to NCL:

Hi: I have a question regarding my upcoming cruise on the Escape on 4 June. I would like to bring along a small, hand held Amateur Radio for use only in the US Virgin Islands on our stop there. I assure you that it would not be used while on the ship, that it is not capable of transmitting on ship/marine channels, and that I am licensed for it's use in US Territories...I have heard that some cruise lines will confiscate such a radio and hold it during the cruise. Can you advise me as to NCL's policy in this regard? I appreciate the cruise line's concerns regarding security, but as a licensed Amateur Radio Operator (KA1OWC) I give you my word that I would follow any protocols NCL may have. Thank you very much for your attention to my inquiry.

Good point...I didn't realize that they would confiscate a radio if found...Don't want to get into a discussion with the ship security! I will try emailing NCL for their policy...Thanks again...

Steve KA1OWC

Steve KA1OWC

Yes, it might get confiscated if found without prior permission, as despite your protestations, it could be used in contravention of the ship's radio telegraphy license.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

PROHIBITED ITEMS LIST

The safety and security of our guests and crew is our number one priority. The following items are prohibited on-board vessels. These items will be confiscated and not transported aboard. When an item is determined to be illegal the appropriate authorities will be informed.

• 1. All illegal narcotics/drugs. (Including Marijuana prescribed for medical purposes and other items used as drug paraphernalia. This includes Hookah Pipes).
  • 2. All firearms including replicas, imitations, non-firing weapons, starting pistols and their components
  • 3. Air, BB or pellet pistols or rifles
  • 4. Any other projectile-weapon or item that resembles or can be mistaken as a firearm (e.g., paint ball guns)
  • 5. All ammunition or replica ammunition for listed line items 2, 3 & 4
  • 6. All explosives, component parts (i.e. detonators) including imitation explosives and devices
  • 7. Fireworks, flares, and pyrotechnics
  • 8. Martial Arts Weapons (i.e. throwing stars, flails)
  • 9. Knives with a blade longer than 4 inches/10.16 cm
  • 10. Open razors
  • 11. Swords, Skean Dhus, or Kirpans
  • 12. Spears or spear guns
  • 13. Crossbows, crossbow bolts, and long bow arrows
  • 14. Blunt weapons including knuckle dusters, brass knuckles, clubs, telescopic batons, batons, flails or nunchaku
  • 15. Items containing incapacitating substances (e.g. gas guns, tear gas sprays, mace, phosphorus, acid and other dangerous chemicals that could be used to maim or disable
  • 16. Restraining Devices (i.e. handcuffs, leg, and head restraining straps)
  • 17. Flammable substances and hazardous chemicals. (e.g., petrol, methylated spirits, paint thinners, lighter fuel, etc.)
  • 18. Any other item made, adapted or intended for use as an offensive weapon
  • 19. Stun devices (i.e. Tazers and Stun Guns)
  • 20. Large batteries
  • 21. Items brought on board the vessel and not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, clothing irons, water heaters, coffee machines with heating/hot plates, etc.
  • 22. Any remotely controlled or autonomously flying devices, toys or drones
  • 23. Self-balancing hover boards, air wheels, scooters, or Segway’s
  • 24. Compressed gas tanks, bottles, cylinders including dive tanks, propane tanks and large aerosol cans
  • 25. Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), ham radios, satellite phones, transformers, lasers and laser pointers
  • 26. Any form of radio/ telephone signal jamming equipment
  • 27. Samsung Note 7
  • 28. Candles

I have brought my HT with me on every cruise. I’ve never had any problems. Not even a second look. Both a Yaesu ft-60R, and a Baofeng UV5. I’d be unhappy if anything happened to the Yaesu, it has been with me longer then my first wife. If the Baofeng gets damaged or destroyed, I’m out $30.

Ed, KC2JCD.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have brought my HT with me on every cruise. I’ve never had any problems. Not even a second look. Both a Yaesu ft-60R, and a Baofeng UV5. I’d be unhappy if anything happened to the Yaesu, it has been with me longer then my first wife. If the Baofeng gets damaged or destroyed, I’m out $30.

Ed, KC2JCD.

Ed, on checked bags or carryon?

Ed, KC2JCD.

Have you cleared these radios with the Captain? As these are 5 w UHF/VHF transceivers, even if you only wish to use them on the amateur bands, they need to be listed on the vessel's Radiotelephony Certificate, or written permission from the Captain. I believe that even the amateur bands (since these are in the HF band, I think), and at 5 watts needs to be cleared with the Captain for use onboard.

I have no problem not transmitting on board.

Just would like to assured it wouldn't be confiscated if dissembled, battery out, in a carry on.

So, given NCL's list, don't plan on bringing it.

I have no problem not transmitting on board. Just would like to assured it wouldn't be confiscated if dissembled, battery out, in a carry on. So, given NCL's list, don't plan on bringing it.

Confiscated. Taken to the naughty room. And thrown with the other illegal contraband to be collected upon disembarkation.

Ed, on checked bags or carryon?

Checked bags. I listen only on the ship, as you would need permission from the captain to operate while on board. I’ve never had a problem, they have never called me to ask about it, or confiscated it. If security were to ever ask, I would just say you use it to keep in touch with friends who were also on the cruise.

All of the above noted - - -

AND THEN OPERATING IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY

A whole nother set of laws rules regulations mandates etc. etc. etc.

While not the same type of device I used to take my hand held multi-band scanner

with me was confiscated by Carnival* returned at the end of the cruise.

No longer going thru that Spanish Inquisition** just to bring my toy along.

* after that never tested the waters with any other cruise line.

** visits to the Naughty Room to retrieve your belongings are so intimidating -

wearing your Cruisers Badge of Shame for conduct unbecoming to cruising !

• 1 month later...

The Carnival family used to permit ham radios to operate aboard. You got a polite

letter in you stateroom at embarkation asking you to bring your stuff to the Purser

for inspection and approval. If you were on Princess (Bermudian flagged) you also

had to show a operating permit from Hamilton, usually emailed from RAB.bm.

That all changed last year about the same time Sun Princess darkened ship each

night and practiced evacuating outside cabins as they tip-toed past the Horn of

Africa. Ham radios are now "prohibited items", and even phoning the person who

had arranged permissions 6 months before it was "That was then, this is now,

I'm embarrassed and very sorry, but no way, no how, period".

Connect the dots. And take guidance from the resultant picture.

AI6GF

I have been taking my Yaesu VX-7 handhelds for years on my NCL cruises with no problems. The crew can't tell the difference between HF and the Walmart walkie talkies, which were prevalent years back. I used 2 meter simplex on land, and found that 440 worked great in getting through the metal bulkheads. 5 watts was more than sufficient.