Denali flightseeing crash out of Talkeetna

mapleleaves

As with any activity, there are risks. These tragic events are rare, but get all the headlines. Auto accidents cause many more deaths, but rarely get the same coverage.

My concern with flights in Alaska has been rescuers getting to some of the areas in a timely manner if an accident occurs. It would be possible to survive the impact and still not be rescued in time. Based on initial reports, there was some contact with the pilot after the crash.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's so sad. Condolences to the families and friends of the passengers and pilot.

Our summit flight over Denali with K2 in 2007 was one of the best excursions we've ever done, anywhere in the world. I was nervous the entire time since I don't like heights and small planes - especially ones that require you were an oxygen mask at high altitudes! - but the scenery was stunning and I proved something to myself (I'm not the coward my kids make me out to be).

As part of my DIY pre cruise Alaska trip next June, I had just started thinking about visiting Denali this way instead of driving all the way there and spending 8 hours sitting on a bus. I will reconsider, especially after the cause has been determined.

That's so sad. Condolences to the families and friends of the passengers and pilot.

Our summit flight over Denali with K2 in 2007 was one of the best excursions we've ever done, anywhere in the world. I was nervous the entire time since I don't like heights and small planes - especially ones that require you were an oxygen mask at high altitudes! - but the scenery was stunning and I proved something to myself (I'm not the coward my kids make me out to be).

The K2 flight I went on this summer was also one of the best experiences I've had in my life. When we arrived, they shortened our flight from the "grand tour" to the "flyer", because of weather conditions. We felt they took the necessary precautions to keep us safe and despite this tragic and sad news, I would 100% fly with them again (and will definitely plan on doing so if I'm ever able to return to Alaska)

As part of my DIY pre cruise Alaska trip next June, I had just started thinking about visiting Denali this way instead of driving all the way there and spending 8 hours sitting on a bus. I will reconsider, especially after the cause has been determined.

There are a lot of flight options in the area and many flights that operate year round. This was a tragic incident but overall aviation in Denali is very safe. It is an absolutely wonderful way to see the park and the mountain. There are companies based in Denali (Healy, AK). That fly twin-engine aircraft, like Stampede Aviation, if you are looking for a little extra redundancy. My heart goes out to all those affected by the tragic event but I am so glad I was able to go flying!