Harvest Cay

mdsgu

Sailing on the Breakaway from New Orleans Thanksgiving week. Saw some beach cabanas at Harvest Cay a few months ago, but they are no longer available for booking. Do they normally sell out? Are the poolside cabanas ok? Other suggestions for HC? Almost seems like an island for NCL to milk more money from cruisers, but maybe that's the wrong impression.....

I don’t understand why anyone would pay for anything at the Harvest Caye pool. Why even go ashore to go to a pool and pay high prices for drinks and food when you can stay on board ship and have the pool and hot tubs all to yourself and the drinks and food are free!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sailing on the Breakaway from New Orleans Thanksgiving week. Saw some beach cabanas at Harvest Cay a few months ago, but they are no longer available for booking. Do they normally sell out? Are the poolside cabanas ok? Other suggestions for HC? Almost seems like an island for NCL to milk more money from cruisers, but maybe that's the wrong impression.....

The beach cabanas DO sell out rather quickly, ARE expensive but we find them to be one of the highlights of the trip. No one is forced to purchase them of course - to each his own. But it is like having your private beach home for a day....with private waiter, etc. I would not compare it at ALL to the experience of being alone on the ship even if the ship is empty on this port day. IT is a totally different experience. I MAY however compare it to staying on the ship if all that you plan to do is stay by the pool? But the island is at least worth a look see.......But the cabanas are the best in our opinion.

They are sold out. You waited too long.

There are umbrellas, but as the sun moves, so does the shade and it willl soon belong to the person on the next lounger over.

This link has HC photos from this week. Note where shade is compared to umbrellas. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56794374&postcount=160

We always get s clamshell.

They are sold out. You waited too long.

There are umbrellas, but as the sun moves, so does the shade and it willl soon belong to the person on the next lounger over.

This link has HC photos from this week. Note where shade is compared to umbrellas. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56794374&postcount=160

We always get s clamshell.

What is the cost to rent a clamshell and do they need to be reserved in advance?

I don’t understand why anyone would pay for anything at the Harvest Caye pool. Why even go ashore to go to a pool and pay high prices for drinks and food when you can stay on board ship and have the pool and hot tubs all to yourself and the drinks and food are free!

Well first off, some people have port credits/OBC’s to use. Some people don’t mind paying extra for it. If you have a $50 port credit, get a clam shell to get out of the sun. Besides, not everyone has the drinks package.

Also, the pool at Harvest Caye is way bigger than on the ship (HC boasts a 15,000 sq. ft pool...what’s the size of the ones on a ship typically? 300-400 sq ft). Besides, going to HC doesn’t mean you have to spend money. The ship is docked, so if want to run and grab a quick bite to eat and couple drinks, you can do it.