Twizy Insurance

Wngsfan

We have a Twizy reserved for October. I was informed by the company that the mandatory insurance only covers the other vehicle in the event of an accident. The renter is responsible for any damage to the Twizy. Has anyone contacted their own personal insurance company to see if a Twizy would fall under their policy?

US auto insurance in general doesn't provide any type of coverage in foreign countries, usually with the exception of Canada, and to a limited extent Mexico.

Edit...just noticed you are from Canada. I'm not familiar with the details of Canadian auto insurance.

Edited by njhorseman

US auto insurance in general doesn't provide any type of coverage in foreign countries, usually with the exception of Canada, and to a limited extent Mexico.

Edit...just noticed you are from Canada. I'm not familiar with the details of Canadian auto insurance.

One question is if the Twizy is considered by insurance companies and credit card companies to be a car. I don’t know. If I rent a car in the US I decline the auto rental companies insurance if I pay with a credit card. Then my auto insurance is primary and the credit card company insurance is secondary with most credit cards although with some like Chase I have it is primary and with some AMEX cards that have I can upgrade to Primary. In any case you are covered for most cars but there are exclusions. With car rentals in foreign countries it depends on the credit card. Some countries are excluded and some vehicles are excluded. The upshot is people will have to check with their own auto insurance company and own credit card company.

Not all insurance companies and policies are the same. You should contact yours to find out what your policy covers. I bet most insurance companies won't even know what the hell a Twizy is.

I also answered in the other thread.

1) Check with your insurance company.

2) Check with your credit card company to see if they offer coverage.

3) If you have trip insurance, check for coverage. It could be optional and extra cost.

• 2 months later...
I am wondering if anyone has had luck finding insurance coverage for the twizy. We are also from Canada and I was told that because the vehicle is a quadricycle it is not covered. Would like to book in a few weeks if I can find the insurance coverage. Thanks

Our insurance company confirmed that they would cover a Twizy in the event of an accident. We would be responsible for our deductible.

• 4 weeks later...
I'd be surprised if third-party insurance wasn't offered by the rental company. We rented a Twizy in Norway and purchased insurance through the rental place. BTW, it was really a blast to drive!
s

I checked with them and they do not offer coverage for the vehicle. I am going to follow up with the credit card company since they were going to review as they were not familiar with the Twizy.

Thanks for all the replies!

We have a Twizy reserved for October. I was informed by the company that the mandatory insurance only covers the other vehicle in the event of an accident. The renter is responsible for any damage to the Twizy. Has anyone contacted their own personal insurance company to see if a Twizy would fall under their policy?

Q: How much does it cost to rent a Twizy

A: While our pricing varies according to the time of year and demand, as it does with nearly every car rental company around the world, a one-day booking comes in around $100 a day. There is also a one-time charge of $30 for Third-Party insurance which will cover you for the duration of your rental. Discounts are offered for bookings exceeding 7 days, 14 days and 1 month. To get an exact price head to Book Now, choose you accommodation and select your intended rental dates

Q: How much does it cost to rent a Twizy

A: While our pricing varies according to the time of year and demand, as it does with nearly every car rental company around the world, a one-day booking comes in around $100 a day. There is also a one-time charge of $30 for Third-Party insurance which will cover you for the duration of your rental. Discounts are offered for bookings exceeding 7 days, 14 days and 1 month. To get an exact price head to Book Now, choose you accommodation and select your intended rental dates

The third party insurance they sell only covers liability. Bodily injury and usually properly damage to others but it does not cover damage to the Twizy. That they don’t sell that kind of insurance could mean they could not find any insurance company that would cover damage to the Twizy or cover damage to the Twizy for a reasonable fee.