Cabin-mate lost her birth certificate, any hope of boarding?

Just so you all know, I actually LEARNED something from all this. I NEVER knew New York issued three types of ID. Your regular drivers ID, the REAL ID ID and the Enhanced ID. I had no clue the Real ID was available. The difference is the Real ID has a "star" in the one corner and the Enhanced has an American Flag in the lower corner.

Just so you all know, I actually LEARNED something from all this. I NEVER knew New York issued three types of ID. Your regular drivers ID, the REAL ID ID and the Enhanced ID. I had no clue the Real ID was available. The difference is the Real ID has a "star" in the one corner and the Enhanced has an American Flag in the lower corner.

It will actually be one or the other, you shouldn't be able to get all three (but we are talking about NY, so one never knows:')).

Same way that I know that in Vermont you have a choice. Florida is different, that's all. The person that I was having the conversation with is from Massachusetts and they are allowing a choice also (at least for now).

Why bother having a choice, though? Either a license is compliant or it isn't. Typical foot dragging.

I suspect those screaming that they don't want to bother with a compliant license scream about undocumented folks getting a license.

OP and her cabin mate are supposed to leave on Thursday the 11th. I wonder if she will be back to tell us how things turned out?. Probably not. Many first time posters find this forum when they search for some remedy to their problem. When they don't get the hoped-for answer they're ususally gone.

I just renewed my NY license yesterday. The basic one can be renewed online. If you want the Real or Enhanced, you have to go to the DMV with lots of documentation. I definitely recommend taking the time to read the website carefully and get the right documents. I was surprised at what I needed. Then when I got there, there was still another form to fill out ;)

I just renewed my NY license yesterday. The basic one can be renewed online. If you want the Real or Enhanced, you have to go to the DMV with lots of documentation. I definitely recommend taking the time to read the website carefully and get the right documents. I was surprised at what I needed. Then when I got there, there was still another form to fill out ;)

I got my enhanced when they first came out. I filled out the paperwork, got all the requested paperwork together, hiked over to DMV, stood in line, stood in another line, took a number, waited, went to a window, went to another window where I found out how much it was :eek:

There is no choice in Florida, if you renew your license you must bring in compliant documents. Even if you need to change your address you must do it in person and bring your documents again. Ask me how I know
Odd. I was able to order one with a new address online.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Why bother having a choice, though? Either a license is compliant or it isn't. Typical foot dragging.

I suspect those screaming that they don't want to bother with a compliant license scream about undocumented folks getting a license.

What the heck is wrong with offering people a choice? Then you can do what works best for your situation and others can do the same thing. If someone chooses to get a non-compliant license they are the ones who are inconvenienced by that decision, not me.

Obviously, you can only have ONE, but I never even knew that they offered the Real ID

Someone who read your post might get the impression that someone could obtain more than one, just wanted to provide some clarification (and some levity), that's all.

I got my enhanced when they first came out. I filled out the paperwork, got all the requested paperwork together, hiked over to DMV, stood in line, stood in another line, took a number, waited, went to a window, went to another window where I found out how much it was :eek:

How much do they cost over in NY? In Vermont they are $25 more than the regular license and are good for 4 years. That makes them a bit more than a passport card but we opted for the EDL because it's one less thing to carry around as we always have our licenses with us when we are out and about. We got the EDLs primarily for cruising because I found out how much it cost to replace DW's naturalization certificate if it got damaged or lost:o.

How much do they cost over in NY? In Vermont they are $25 more than the regular license and are good for 4 years. That makes them a bit more than a passport card but we opted for the EDL because it's one less thing to carry around as we always have our licenses with us when we are out and about. We got the EDLs primarily for cruising because I found out how much it cost to replace DW's naturalization certificate if it got damaged or lost:o.

In Michigan it’s $20 more than the basic license. $45 for your first EDL, then $38 for a renewal. Our licenses are good for four years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What the heck is wrong with offering people a choice? Then you can do what works best for your situation and others can do the same thing. If someone chooses to get a non-compliant license they are the ones who are inconvenienced by that decision, not me.

Because the reason for real ID was to keep people from getting a license who shouldn't have one.

I don't really care one way or the other but having different options seems to defeat the purpose.

if I'm reading right these guys say 1 day processing and overnight shipping ....

https://www.vitalchek.com/birth-certificates/california

While Vitalchek is one of the legit, better known issuers of BC, I would make sure to read all the fine print carefully.

Late last year, my son couldn't find his BC and needed it ASAP as his company was sending him overseas and his last passport was a child one that expired 7 years ago. Contacted every single one of these BC expediters, including Vitalchek and was told that the fastest they could get a NY state BC to us was 10-days to two weeks and cost us a pretty penny.

I wound up calling the Office of Vital Records in the county where he was born for help and they were able to overnight a certified copy for a third of the cost

I know, they are leaving today so the point is moot but thought I would just mention it all the same - call them direct, ya never know.....

The EDL is $30 extra in NY and is good for 8 years.

$94.50 for 8 years

While Vitalchek is one of the legit, better known issuers of BC, I would make sure to read all the fine print carefully.

Late last year, my son couldn't find his BC and needed it ASAP as his company was sending him overseas and his last passport was a child one that expired 7 years ago. Contacted every single one of these BC expediters, including Vitalchek and was told that the fastest they could get a NY state BC to us was 10-days to two weeks and cost us a pretty penny.

I wound up calling the Office of Vital Records in the county where he was born for help and they were able to overnight a certified copy for a third of the cost

I know, they are leaving today so the point is moot but thought I would just mention it all the same - call them direct, ya never know.....

Even though the old passport couldn't be used for a renewal by mail couldn't it still be used as proof of citizenship when applying in person? (This is similar to the situation the OP's friend is in, she can't use the passport to renew by mail.)

Because the reason for real ID was to keep people from getting a license who shouldn't have one.

I don't really care one way or the other but having different options seems to defeat the purpose.

If that is a reason for REAL ID it's an unstated one. State's have the right to issue a license to whomever they want to, REAL ID doesn't change that.

Even though the old passport couldn't be used for a renewal by mail couldn't it still be used as proof of citizenship when applying in person? (This is similar to the situation the OP's friend is in, she can't use the passport to renew by mail.)

Yep - he probably could have used it with his D11 form in person. But as it was expired, his mother and stepfather, who last had possession of it, didn't make it a priority to look for it. Lets say that their relationship is a bit "strained" (an understatement) and I'm guessing that they probably don't have it anymore.

But I was able to get him his certified BC, overnighted for $80 so all was well.

Same way that I know that in Vermont you have a choice. Florida is different, that's all. The person that I was having the conversation with is from Massachusetts and they are allowing a choice also (at least for now).

Florida has had the requirement that all ID/DL issued since 2010 be RealID compliant. We got ours in 2011, when we moved to our prior home, and then were able to order replacements with our new address in 2017.

Florida does not offer a non-compliant ID/DL, and you are given a list of items to bring with you to establish your residency status, your proof of citizenship, etc.

They are good for 8 years, and can be renewed for $15. The new version issued in late 2017 is more secure and less easily counterfeit.

My sister had her passport stolen the night before we left for a cruise (it was locked up in the trunk of her rental car, in the Disney World parking lot), and had a friend go into her home to find her birth certificate and marriage license (to explain difference in name from driver's license), and all the friend had to do was send a fax showing the info on the two documents. RCL let her onto ship and let her cruise to various Caribbean islands, even though my sister did not have the originals in hand. This was in 2013. I am not sure if this helps any but i thought OP mentioned the friend has a copy of her birth certificate.