Walking to Pier 90 in Manhatten (New York)

bburk00

So we are thinking about parking at Port Imperial in Weehawken and taking the ferry over to Midtown / W. 39th terminal then walking up to the port.

Couple of questions for anyone that has done this before. I assume that you walk up the Hudson River Greenway, how do you get into the cruise terminal area from the Greenway? There is a gate on 50th, do they open the gate during Embarkation/Debarkation time?

Also, would you feel comfortable taking your kids that way? We have a 7 and 13 y.o.

So we are thinking about parking at Port Imperial in Weehawken and taking the ferry over to Midtown / W. 39th terminal then walking up to the port.

Couple of questions for anyone that has done this before. I assume that you walk up the Hudson River Greenway, how do you get into the cruise terminal area from the Greenway? There is a gate on 50th, do they open the gate during Embarkation/Debarkation time?

Also, would you feel comfortable taking your kids that way? We have a 7 and 13 y.o.

It looks like a nice walk, depending on the weather, and

as long as you can handle the baggage.

It will give the kids a chance to stretch their legs.

During embarkation the gate is open.

You can zoom in on this map:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7846816,-74.0029256,2744a,20y,180h,41.09t/data=!3m1!1e3

Edited by $hip$hape

I think you just walk up the sidewalk, no reason to use the Greenway (do you mean the High Line?). The sidewalk is wide and goes right along the river.

Not exactly sure, just looking at googlemaps it looks like the Greenway is a biking/pedestrian trail that goes from the Ferry terminal to the piers.

Not exactly sure, just looking at googlemaps it looks like the Greenway is a biking/pedestrian trail that goes from the Ferry terminal to the piers.

Yeah - I amended my post. There's a big wide sidewalk along the river. I guess that's the Greenway. It's a pretty and easy walk.

Couple of questions for anyone that has done this before. I assume that you walk up the Hudson River Greenway, how do you get into the cruise terminal area from the Greenway? There is a gate on 50th, do they open the gate during Embarkation/Debarkation time? Yes, the gate is adjacent to the greenway, and it is open during embarkation/disembarkation. See the last link, at the bottom of my post.

My wife & I have done this several times, both going to and coming from the piers. (We take the light rail between Hoboken & Port Imperial, but otherwise the route is exactly the same as what you're proposing.) The walk from the 39th Street ferry terminal to the pier takes around 15 minutes or so, depending on your pace, the amount of luggage you're hauling, and whether you dawdle on the way as you pass the Intrepid.

Just a few things to be aware of and be careful about:

There are three places where you have to cross access/exit roadways--near the World Yacht pier (pier 81), the Circle Line pier (pier 83) and the exit roadway from the passenger ship terminals, near pier 86 (at 46th Street). There are traffic lights with pedestrian walk/ don't walk signals at these points--please make sure you and your children obey them.

https://goo.gl/maps/cfQDhkLQJuG2

https://goo.gl/maps/qkejH2zsS6T2

There are often crowds of tourists on the sidewalk, especially near pier 86 (for the Intrepid), so you may have to slow down and wind your way around groups of people hereabouts.

https://goo.gl/maps/mZQup3jTNW22

(Not many people when those streetview pictures were shot, but they're always milling about there whenever I walk past the Intrepid!)

Finally: Please stay on the footpath; do not step into the bicycle lane! Cyclists have a habit of whizzing up and down the cycle lane; several months ago I saw a pedestrian struck and knocked down by a cyclist near the entrance to one of the piers. When you reach the gate at the entrance to the pier, stop and look both ways before you walk across the bicycle lane to reach the gate. Do not assume that an oncoming cyclist will stop for you!

https://goo.gl/maps/njvQ6vVp19U2

Finally: Please stay on the footpath; do not step into the bicycle lane! Cyclists have a habit of whizzing up and down the cycle lane; several months ago I saw a pedestrian struck and knocked down by a cyclist near the entrance to one of the piers. When you reach the gate at the entrance to the pier, stop and look both ways before you walk across the bicycle lane to reach the gate. Do not assume that an oncoming cyclist will stop for you!

https://goo.gl/maps/njvQ6vVp19U2

This is something to be VERY aware of. Way too many people just ignore it. Same on the Brooklyn Bridge- STAY in YOUR CORRECT LANE. I too have seen a strike of a clueless walker, with both them and the biker on the ground. But, way more near misses. Pay attention. :)