Credit card info stolen

Just a heads up, after booking my cruise direct with RCCL my credit card info was compromised and it was used exclusively in Florida. I called RCCL to make them aware and they didn't care. Be vigilant.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Forums mobile app

I feel for you that your info was stolen but there's very, very little chance it had to do with booking through Royal. Your information could have been stolen months ago or you could have had your information stolen from using an unsecured internet connection. They can't do anything.

The credit card companies track this information after you file your dispute. Whoever stole your card information probably did it to others. So there will be a common transaction point with other cards.

If it was RCI they will find out.

Usually when CC info is compromised, the usual first charges are not from the local area, and a lot of charges are made to online sources. Usually you never really know where it was stolen. I had a business cc that I had for awhile but never used ,except for this one time. Wouldn't you know, I hadn't even left the mall yet when my credit card company called me, They had received 2 charges within 10 minutes, one in Miami (my charge ) and one charge in Minnesota. Also a charge was pending for a large amount in that same area. I went back to the store clerk, got his name and requested the Mgr call me. He did a few days later, . Gave all the info to the unsuspecting Mgr and the credit card company.

I left something on board a ship following a cruise. I knew exactly where it was in the stateroom. I contacted them through list and found and they retrieved it. I had to give them credit card info to pay for mailing it back to me. Almost immediately, the card was used for fraudulent purposes in the South Florida area.

Just a heads up, after booking my cruise direct with RCCL my credit card info was compromised and it was used exclusively in Florida. I called RCCL to make them aware and they didn't care. Be vigilant.

When you are booking directly with RCCL you are talking to someone in Springfield OR.

Had my cc used fraudulently in a Miami auto detailer. No cruise booked. It’s just a coincidence. The first charge is usually for a dollar to see if it’s a valid number. After that it’s off to the races

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Or they try a gas payment at the pump. If it doesn’t work they pay in cash inside, if it does then the tank is full for their shopping spree. Got that right from an American Express Agent.

We had our credit card numbers stolen so many times, I can't keep track of how many. We've had to change our main credit card number twice in the last 3 months, and the first time it was the BANK that thought they found a fraudulent charge. Turned out to be us, but we didn't know about it until the letter arrived weeks later. By that time we were using the new card. Then, Mr. pcur left the NEW card in a restaurant in the Oakland airport several weeks ago. Had to do the whole thing all over again.

I now have instant alerts texted to me whenever any of our credit cards are used. I know immediately which one is being used and for how much. Peace of mind.

I wish customer service call centers would do what Schwab does: you are transferred to an automated system, enter your information on the phone's keypad, and then transferred back to the agent. They only see the last 4 digits of the card number.

A good idea is to set up alerts on all debit and credit cards for any transactions of a $1 or more. My wife's debit card was compromised at the bank ATM machine when she made a withdrawal. Apparently there was a chip reader in card slot of the ATM. We got an alert that that a purchase was made for $20 at a store she never heard of. She called me to see if I purchased anything. When I told her no she immediately called the bank. Someone used the card and was having the item shipped to an unknown address in another state. There were several other attempts made from places all over the country. All my credit cards are set up with alerts and they come through before I leave the checkout counter at the store.

A good idea is to set up alerts on all debit and credit cards for any transactions of a $1 or more. My wife's debit card was compromised at the bank ATM machine when she made a withdrawal. Apparently there was a chip reader in card slot of the ATM. We got an alert that that a purchase was made for $20 at a store she never heard of. She called me to see if I purchased anything. When I told her no she immediately called the bank. Someone used the card and was having the item shipped to an unknown address in another state. There were several other attempts made from places all over the country. All my credit cards are set up with alerts and they come through before I leave the checkout counter at the store.

Yes. My husband and I have a running joke between us: when he gets home from running errands I'll ask him what he bought at Home Depot for $x. He will pay for something, and if I'm standing next to him my phone will start dinging.

I did the same. I have automatic alerts to my iphone of anything charged over $1.

Yes. My husband and I have a running joke between us: when he gets home from running errands I'll ask him what he bought at Home Depot for $x. He will pay for something, and if I'm standing next to him my phone will start dinging.

LOL....I'll text my wife things like Hope you are enjoying that slice of pizza.

Why would RCCL care if your credit card info was compromised? Are they affected? Did a person book a cruise with your number, and it wasn't you? Unless, it did not involve them, they wouldn't care. You are making the assumption, that they are the cause.

Credit cards get compromised all the time, and good credit card companies have fraud detection software. This happens thousands of time daily. You now have the ability, to take an active roll yourself. Example is text alerts, email alerts etc, for every transaction you make.

So many people assume that the last place they used their credit card is the place it was compromised. It could have happened months ago. You have absolutely no idea.

Why would RCCL care if your credit card info was compromised? Are they affected? Did a person book a cruise with your number, and it wasn't you? Unless, it did not involve them, they wouldn't care. You are making the assumption, that they are the cause.

Obviously, they should care. If they have an employee or computer system that is compromising customer data, they will be in a world of hurt.

Target was sued and paid out millions of dollars. The loss of customer confidence probably cost them more than the fraud.

The person the OP talked to didn't care because they are not trained properly to respond with concern. If a company gets a few calls blaming them for a CC compromise, alarm bells should go off.

I've worked with fraud for many years. I'm not sure Miami is local for credit card use. But if a card is used locally to where the capture occurred it's probably a single bad employee. If the fraud shows up around the world it's more likely a computer compromise. Not always, but in general.

A fuel purchase is an anonymous method for checking the validity of the card. A fuel purchase followed by a large $$ risky merchant purchase (jewelry) or gift cards will get your card shut off immediately.

Agree that it happens all the time. We got a call from the security dept of a credit card we have that had not been used in months. Someone had charge $1100 worth of merchandise in CA and we live in IL. No idea where or when they got the credit card number. It's just a fact that happens many times a year and I never blame the last place where I used it because it could have been stolen months before.