Love & Marriage Game Show - are same sex couples allowed?

I like to watch Love and Marriage Game Shows from time to time. Always a favourite event from a cruise.

However, I always see that it is all straight couples and some of the questions are gender specific. There are also some Cruise Directors who format it in a way that men have to stand which sort of excludes gay couples.

So my question is - are gay couples allowed on the show? If so, do all CD's allow it?

But when they do the 4 couple format and men have to stand behind the women, that implies to me that the CD does not want a same sex couple on the show.

I don't think you read anything into the way the show is done that it excludes same sex couples.

We had a gay male couple on Brilliance a week and a half ago, they were the middle couple and had to audition and won the crowd over! They played very well and won the game!! It was very refreshing to see and probably one of the best overall Love & Marriage shows I have seen in all my cruising!! Tons of FUN!!!!

• Like 1

I like to watch Love and Marriage Game Shows from time to time. Always a favourite event from a cruise.

However, I always see that it is all straight couples and some of the questions are gender specific. There are also some Cruise Directors who format it in a way that men have to stand which sort of excludes gay couples.

So my question is - are gay couples allowed on the show? If so, do all CD's allow it?

On the September 2nd sailing of Oasis, the newlywed couple had been married on the ship just hours before the L&M show. They were a young male couple. CD tailored the show for all participants.

On the September 2nd sailing of Oasis, the newlywed couple had been married on the ship just hours before the L&M show. They were a young male couple. CD tailored the show for all participants.

Beat me to it -we were also on that sailing.

M

We were on Oasis this June and had a Male couple that had been married ? 10 years as the middle couple. I have to confess I was a little nervous as how this would "play out", as this was a first for me to see. But the crowd was fine with it-and they were so nice. They won! Best Love and Marriage game I have been to. I think most people are ok with this- if not they -they can always leave.

...There are also some Cruise Directors who format it in a way that men have to stand which sort of excludes gay couples....

I'm a gay man. I don't feel that this approach sort of excludes gay couples. But, I do feel that if you're a gay couple and you have a good enough audition to become contestants, that one of you should be prepared to stand while the other one is seated... just like the rest of the contestants.

I've been to two Love and Marriages shows with gay couples. The most recent time, the questions were very male-female specific, resulting in questions that did not always apply. The CD should've done a better job tailoring the questions to the contestants, IMO.

The other time flowed much better.

I've been to two Love and Marriages shows with gay couples. The most recent time, the questions were very male-female specific, resulting in questions that did not always apply. The CD should've done a better job tailoring the questions to the contestants, IMO.

The other time flowed much better.

Like every other function that a CD performs, some CDs are better than others.

I'm a gay man. I don't feel that this approach sort of excludes gay couples. But, I do feel that if you're a gay couple and you have a good enough audition to become contestants, that one of you should be prepared to stand while the other one is seated... just like the rest of the contestants.

I disagree. Having men separate from women indicates that the approach is tailored specifically to straight couples. And Cruise Directors with this format often have gender specific questions as well.

I asked an Activities Manager on Twitter how that would work with the 4 couple approach and he liked my post but did not give a reply.

Abe Hughes is the only Cruise Director that I have seen have gay couples on the stage, but his questions are not gender specific and he has a 3 couple format.

We did a TA on Splendour a few years ago and 2 of the 3 couples were male, one of the couples were our tablemates. There were only about 300 English speaking passengers on the ship so they did have trouble getting participants for all the 'English ' activities but this turned out to be one of the best Love and Marriage that we have seen, very different to the usual format.

Julie

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2018 at 5:33 PM, SamTimeDining said:

We had a gay male couple on Brilliance a week and a half ago, they were the middle couple and had to audition and won the crowd over! They played very well and won the game!! It was very refreshing to see and probably one of the best overall Love & Marriage shows I have seen in all my cruising!! Tons of FUN!!!!

That was us!  I can't believe we won!  The crowd was fantastic and we all had a wonderful time!  We had people coming up to us all over the ship congratulating us and telling us how much they enjoyed the show.  We had a blast!

Trey and Troy

• Like 4

Personally, I don't care who the contestants are, because it is a comedy show.  However, the interesting posts that it caters to male/female, seems like it is catered to the majority and not the minority.  All the questions, usually will work with female/female, because the only gender specific question is usually about bra sizes.  The rest seem pretty much gender neutral. 

The other point is that although same sex marriage is more common today, many countries it is illegal.  RCCL is an international cruise line so they need to be more careful on how they handle things.  So although your question is a good one, be prepared to work with what occurs on the ship, and how the individual CD handles it.

We have seen male same-sex couples audition (but not get selected, and only for the same reason a m/f couple wouldn't have been selected). While the format and questions generally lean toward m/f couples, I expect that they would tailor the questions if necessary. Royal generally seems fairly accepting of same-sex couples. They want our money, too, after all! As for deciding who in a same-sex couple would go with which group (husbands or wives), perhaps a coin toss? Or perhaps as in dancing, the way we do it is the taller member of the couples leads.

On 10/8/2018 at 5:22 PM, CruisingJoe09 said:

But when they do the 4 couple format and men have to stand behind the women, that implies to me that the CD does not want a same sex couple on the show.

I highly doubt that's the intention.  Your reaction seems a little overly sensitive.  

And yes, I have seen same sex couples participate.  

Edited by Aquahound

On 10/17/2018 at 6:20 AM, young2by2 said:

That was us!  I can't believe we won!  The crowd was fantastic and we all had a wonderful time!  We had people coming up to us all over the ship congratulating us and telling us how much they enjoyed the show.  We had a blast!

Trey and Troy

Congrats guys!

• Thanks 1

I am prettry sure I have seen same sex couples doing this type of show on RCCL

However I am positive I have seen a same sex couple doing this type of show on a Disney cruise.  If a Disney CD or MC and crowd could handle this then I would expect that a RCCL CD or MC should be able to handle this.

There are easy ways to adjust the questions without too much effort.

• Thanks 1