Western Caribbean cruise

MomSwag

We will be sailing to Cozumel, Belize and Roatan in April.

We will have my 13 yr old son and 17 yr old daughter with us. We aren't looking to book a lot of excursions, but I have a few questions.

1.) How safe is it cruising into Mexico? I hear conflicting reports. Should we consider staying on the ship?

2.) If we don't do any excursions, what exactly is there for us to do in ANY of the ports of call?

3.)If you had to recommend ONE excursion in each port, what would it be and why?

I’m sorry but why would you choose to take a cruise and then not get off the ship? One of the reasons we cruise is to explore faraway places. There are lots of things to see and do in all three of your cruise stops and lots that will interest your kids. Look at the forums for each city and see what fun things pop out at you. Or better yet, let your kids do some research and tell you what they want to see and do! You’ll have plenty of time to explore your ship...get out and explore our world!

• 2 weeks later...

I got back today from a cruise. Cozumel was one of the stops. You will have no issue with safety. My excursion was the Secret River (exploring cenotes, or cave/river systems). It was amazing! You take a ferry to Cancun, a van ride to a plant/animal preserve, then given a wetsuit, a walking stick, and water shoes, and you slog through caves with amazing guides. Afterwards, you're given a meal and brought back. You'll get half an hour to shop in Cancun and then on the ferry and back. I wasn't too excited about the idea of it initially (peer pressure!), but the reality of it was truly amazing.

I got back today from a cruise. Cozumel was one of the stops. You will have no issue with safety. My excursion was the Secret River (exploring cenotes, or cave/river systems). It was amazing! You take a ferry to Cancun, a van ride to a plant/animal preserve, then given a wetsuit, a walking stick, and water shoes, and you slog through caves with amazing guides. Afterwards, you're given a meal and brought back. You'll get half an hour to shop in Cancun and then on the ferry and back. I wasn't too excited about the idea of it initially (peer pressure!), but the reality of it was truly amazing.
How long is the ferry ride to Cancun?

Sent from my LG-M153 using Forums mobile app

• 2 months later...
How long is the ferry ride to Cancun?

Sent from my LG-M153 using Forums mobile app

While Cozumel may be safe as indicate in posts by pax traveling there, reports from Playa Del Carmen and Cancun (search on these ports on a search engine) are reporting a variety of safety and security issues. I would look to the US State Department web site to see advice on traveling to these areas. I know I would not go to Cancun and we have sailed into Cozumel 10+ times with no issue of safety or concerns.

• 2 months later...

The last question is from February but will reply to clarify some things.

The ferry momswag mentioned is from Cozumel to Playa Del Carmen, not Cancun. The excursion is a short ride south of Playa and is one of the best cenote experiences available to day visitors who are in port long enough to experience that.

While there is crime and violence in Cancun, Playa, and yes Cozumel, we would not be concerned about exploring Coz or the Riviera Maya. We have more violence in our small rural upstate NY town than in Playa, where we also have a home. Cancun is too far away to spend any time visiting, and there is really nothing there for a day visitor. But spending a day exploring Coz and enjoying a beach is a great day, don’t waste that opportunity!

• 1 month later...