Port of Helsinki On July 16

We are scheduled to be in the port of Helsinki on July 16th. The news media is saying that this is the same day and city that Trump will be meeting with Putin. Will increased security and plenty of news media and others in Helsinki affect our ability to dock and to travel downtown and see the city?

No worries. It is not like they would be shutting down Helsinki so these two could meet. Although some of these stateheads demand that everything would be shut down and whole city blocks emptied of people and that there would be 10 000 policemen, Finland has never agreed to such nonsense. Most likely they'll meet 10-15km out to the countryside where the state owns some really nice estates.

Also, if there would be any disruptions like street closures it is not in our culture to keep them closed for nothing. They get closed for a few minutes and then everything gets back to normal.

So I would say there is zero chance that you would be impacted. You will still dock as planned, the shuttle will still take you to the same place and nothing (at least of interest) gets closed.

No worries. It is not like they would be shutting down Helsinki so these two could meet. Although some of these stateheads demand that everything would be shut down and whole city blocks emptied of people and that there would be 10 000 policemen, Finland has never agreed to such nonsense. Most likely they'll meet 10-15km out to the countryside where the state owns some really nice estates.

Also, if there would be any disruptions like street closures it is not in our culture to keep them closed for nothing. They get closed for a few minutes and then everything gets back to normal.

So I would say there is zero chance that you would be impacted. You will still dock as planned, the shuttle will still take you to the same place and nothing (at least of interest) gets closed.

Thanks for your reassuring comments. Having never been to Finland, we are really looking forward to visiting Helsinki, the museums, Temppeliaukio Church, and the Sibelius Monument. Already disappointed that Uspenski Cathedral is closed on Mondays, didn't want to miss anything else.

Thanks for your reassuring comments. Having never been to Finland, we are really looking forward to visiting Helsinki, the museums, Temppeliaukio Church, and the Sibelius Monument. Already disappointed that Uspenski Cathedral is closed on Mondays, didn't want to miss anything else.

Some sources are now saying Trump wants monumental surroundings for the meeting, so the meeting will probably be held quite close to central Helsinki. There are already also 4 demonstrations/protests for that day and more expected. I still don't think it will have any impact to your plans since none of your listed sites are near any potential buildings that could host this meeting, but you could expect that at some point you need to take a small detour just because of the potentially closed streets. Most potential meeting spots that have been highlighted in media are north of the main railway station and most of your list (some exceptions) are south of the railway station. So your main "danger" is getting stuck in traffic. Walking is a safe bet.

I can comment more when we know the exact place, or at least when the officials will communicate what will be closed and what not.

Continuing the monologue here, but now the rumors are saying that the meeting will probably happen in the presidential castle. This has three main impacts to cruise passengers:

1. The market square might get closed or at least the opening times are restricted. At least today's rumor among the market vendors was that they might get closed.

2. The ferries to the Suomenlinna island might have to leave from somewhere else nearby.

3. Pohjoisesplanadi-street might get closed.

The press center is in the "Finlandia-house" and some media companies are stationed at Allas sea pool. This shouldn't impact either of these sites or movement of tourists.

The police and the city of Helsinki have both promised to provide information during this week.

Thank you ch_. Not sure why they have to close the main downtown shopping area. It looks like it will impact our travel plans after all. I’m thinking that they may close the Old Market Hall and cancel the 90 minute tourist boat rides that start behind the outdoor market. We were planning visit the Market Hall and take a boat ride.

Based on the latest news (still nothing verified), even if the meeting is hold in the presidential palace, and even if that impacts the market square (outdoor market), you can still shop in the market hall (indoor) or any of the other outdoor markets or shopping malls such as the ones along the walking streets close to the railway station.

Then to the good news:

1. The city will have plenty of official tourist guides helping you during this event. They have communicated that they try to minimize the impacts that the meeting might have on the (cruise) tourists by filling the streets with guides and trying to always arrange alternative routes or connections if something is temporarily closed. The aim is to show the world how everything works efficiently around here, even under extraordinary circumstances.

2. Based on the weather forecast, you will arrive to Helsinki during the hottest week of the year. Also the seas will be super calm with almost no wind at all.

Thanks for the update. Do you know if the tourist boats behind the outdoor market will be operating?

No one knows the exact impact of the meeting, but my best guess is that they operate either normally or from an alternate location not far away and there will be plenty of guides to help you navigate. Since nothing official has been communicated, even the tourist boat operators themselves don't yet know what will happen. Everyone in the city tries to make this work, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Now it was officially communicated that the market square is closed on Monday. No vendors or boat operations allowed. Suomenlinna fortress ferry will operate from an alternate location and is mainly catering for residents of the island. The alternate location hasn't been confirmed yet.

Each boat operator will communicate separately if they have some alternate starting point in use. Some have already listed on their websites that they won't be operating at all on Monday.

I would plan my day in Helsinki so that I would avoid the market square / presidential palace area on Monday. In case you would like to see Suomenlinna or catch some tourist boats, it might be easier through some ship tour as no one yet knows from where these will operate. Or at least you would have to keep yourself up to date on the latest information and be flexible on Monday to find the alternate locations.

I'm so sorry. Are there any plans to provide direct transportation from the cruise stop to the major tourism sites that won't be affected? We easily toured Helsinki on our own, but I would be a bit concerned about doing that on the 16th. Perhaps you can contact the HOHO companies and see what they are planning, or try a ship excursion? It's a shame since the 2/3 tram was perfect for visiting everything, but I don't know if that will run.

We are scheduled to be in the port of Helsinki on July 16th. The news media is saying that this is the same day and city that Trump will be meeting with Putin. Will increased security and plenty of news media and others in Helsinki affect our ability to dock and to travel downtown and see the city?
We were very disappointed with Helsinki when we docked in 2015 on Serenade.

We found it the least interesting port on our Baltic cruise and probably won't get off the ship if we visit again.

If Mr Trump and Mr Putin are having a meeting there and with all the security involved and potential protesters unless you are on a tour my choice would be to stay on the ship.

We found it the least interesting port on our Baltic cruise and probably won't get off the ship if we visit again.

I would agree that the other cities were the highlight of a Baltic cruise, but if you can get to Temppeliauki Rock church that was interesting. Walking around the Market Square area was also quite nice, but it appears to not be accessible on the 16th. If the 2/3 tram is running, that's a peaceful and inexpensive way to view the city (and it takes you to the rock church, along with most other tourist destinations)

Also, I know nothing about this tour (I've only read about it after my Baltic cruise) but maybe its worth it to get out of the city:

http://estonianexperience.com/tour/helsinki-highlights-tour-reindeer-park-visit/

If Mr Trump and Mr Putin are having a meeting there and with all the security involved and potential protesters unless you are on a tour my choice would be to stay on the ship.

I would agree with you. We were there last summer on the Zuiderdam. The market area was fun to walk around and the food hall there was a good place to eat but other than that there isn’t much there. We did the free walking tour and they didn’t have much to show us. So little that even they joked about it. If you like coffee there is a huge Nespresso store downtown always good for free coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would agree with you. We were there last summer on the Zuiderdam. The market area was fun to walk around and the food hall there was a good place to eat but other than that there isn’t much there. We did the free walking tour and they didn’t have much to show us. So little that even they joked about it. If you like coffee there is a huge Nespresso store downtown always good for free coffee.

First of all, I don't blame you for feeling that the city is not interesting. We haven't yet learned how to cater for the cruise tourists' needs so most cruise tourists end up doing the market square and old market hall and that's it. Some might wander around to the monument or catch one of the churchs. Some might even take a ship tour to pet a reindeer. Most of these things are something you can find in almost any port - statues, monuments, churchs and markets. Especially the market square has been already transformed to mainly cater for tourists, so it is quite far from "local".

This is anyway getting a little off-topic, and you might feel that I'm biased since I have now lived here for 4 years and love this city. The city is full of hidden gems, and things to see for everyone. They haven't been commercialized so you would need a bit of DIY mentality, but the city is easy to navigate, people are helpful and almost everyone speaks English so you wouldn't need to worry.

If you feel like visiting an outdoor market selling stuff for tourists isn't for you, why not plan something different? There are parks (and national parks), a beautiful archipelago, amusement parks, world-class museums and if you are interested in history you could take a bus to see Porvoo. At least in my opinion the beauty of Helsinki lies in the fact, that it is really spacious, safe, clean and sparsely built metropoly where you can find a quiet spot or something new almost around every corner.

On topic: In case island hopping and archipelago interest you, the regular Suomenlinna ferry doesn't operate on Monday, but you can catch the "JT-Line" ferry from an alternate location here: https://www.google.fi/maps/place/60%C2%B010'40.3%22N+24%C2%B057'15.2%22E/@60.1769312,24.9563971,16.25z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d60.1778515!4d24.9542082?hl=fi and their timetables for Monday can be found here: https://www.jt-line.fi/liikennointi-suomenlinnaan-vallisaareen-ja-lonnaan-16-7-2018/

This should be very helpful for anyone arriving in Helsinki on Monday.

I understand some cruiselines like P&O have changed their itinerary to avoid Helsinki on Monday.